Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 06:10 PM

20,606 posts, read 8,376,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Scroll down to his Controversies and you`ll see why he got the job. He`s not fond of women or minorities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Travis
If Wikipedia says so I must be true.

I like Steyn. Brilliant mind with knowledge of history and politics and a biting British wit.

Todd Herman, another sub host, is another favorite of mine.

I like Buck Sexton. No idea who the other guy is. They might be trying to attract a different demographic that doesn't normally pay attention to politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 01:59 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,058,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So Tucker announced on his show that Clay Travis - who? - would be taking over Rush Limbaugh's time slot for Premier Networks, along with Buck Sexton.

I had never heard of Clay Travis before hearing Tucker's report. The little I've learned of him in these last few minutes of reading points to his being something of a jerk.

With all the sound choices they could have made among established professionals well known and highly reputed to the public, I'm left little short of disbelief of this story.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/27/rush-l...s-buck-sexton/
No matter who fills those EIB seats, Rush will never have an equal. We do need to give these guys a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I like the guy with the British accent from Canada - he would have been a good replacement.

Never heard of him either, but according to the linked article Clay Travis is a sports reporter. Not sure how he ever got that job.
Mark Steyn bores me to tears. Great intentions, but he would not have been a suitable choice for that time slot. Like I stated above, Sexton and Travis should be given a chance. Let's give them six months and let's see if it's the right thing for radio. They don't need to copy Rush, but they need to give a perspective in their own unique way.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:06 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,633,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
No matter who fills those EIB seats, Rush will never have an equal. We do need to give these guys a chance.
We don't NEED to do anything.

Mark Steyn bores me to tears. Great intentions, but he would not have been a suitable choice for that time slot. Like I stated above, Sexton and Travis should be given a chance. Let's give them six months and let's see if it's the right thing for radio. They don't need to copy Rush, but they need to give a perspective in their own unique way.
The vast majority of listeners strongly disagree with you about Mark Steyn.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:05 AM

I've had a few opportunities to hear Clay Travis, between his frequent appearances on Fox and also sampling some YouTube clips, and from those my reaction is that the guy definitely has some talent for media talk. And so far his viewpoints seem to be quite compatible with mine. There is an intellectual depth there that I would consider essential in anyone following in Rush's time slot.

That depth is lacking in Dan Bongino, over at Cumulus Media. He may well have been a terrific cop and Secret Service agent, but he is not cut out to be a radio broadcaster. Much like Sean Hannity, he just doesn't hold my interest. I wish him well, but really wonder how long he'll last in that role. Either Todd Herman or Ken Matthews would be better choices....and they both paid their dues with Rush.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,473,644 times
The rising cost of energy will reduce and eventually shut down the internet and other streaming services. Ordinary radio may revive. That may mean less room for Rushies, since he became huge while liberals and centrists went to other media and FM and left AM for a mostly conservative and more rural audience.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:34 AM

Just started to listen to the opening show....already don't like it....at all.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:43 AM

I'm listening now. So far so good. They are discussing how the mayor of Ft. Lauderdale lied about the man in a pickup truck who crashed into the Gay Pride parade, killing people. He and the mockingbird media immediately said it was domestic terrorism and white supremacy.

The truth was that it was an old gay guy who wanted to be in the parade. Did anyone correct the story?

Old 06-21-2021, 01:47 PM

Caught a few more minutes in between my errands.

Clay is 42, a father with a law degree, was talking about the ancient Greeks and Romans, so not exactly a dumb jock.

Buck is 39 and single with a career in law enforcement and the CIA.

For those of you who don't like the show, who will you listen to instead?

Old 06-21-2021, 05:22 PM

21,394 posts, read 10,439,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The rising cost of energy will reduce and eventually shut down the internet and other streaming services. Ordinary radio may revive. That may mean less room for Rushies, since he became huge while liberals and centrists went to other media and FM and left AM for a mostly conservative and more rural audience.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:24 PM

We are learning very quickly this week, huge as we knew the loss of Rush was, that we nonetheless took for granted much more than we ever realized. Partly because his was a voice and an intellect in the stratosphere whereas most others on-air struggle to get off the ground. But also partly because of the ineptness of the media executives who have assigned amateurs lost in the middle of the ocean of mediocrity to fill his hallowed time slot. This would be hard to believe if we hadn't just been through the year that we have. I think only the very young will ever stop shaking their heads.

This morning I once again sampled both replacement shows, Bongino and Travis/Sexton. I gave them 10 minutes apiece, just to be generous. Nope. Nope. Dennis Prager is a listenable alternative, but there are many others I've never seriously sampled. That....because there was no reason to while we had the best....for so many years.

Both Todd Herman and Ken Matthews would have been much better choices, not to mention Mark Steyn. These guys they went with will still be lost at sea 30 years from now.

We sure do miss you, Rush. And by "we" I mean every last clear-thinking American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media