Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 10:32 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
The entire U.S. media system is a joke and cannot be trusted to tell an unbiased story, by simply presenting just the facts.

I’m getting to the point, where I’m about to start reading and listening to a few of the more trusted European news outlets.
I see some of our local affiliates 9though I am sure it is network wide) claiming "real jounalism" for one in a feeble attempt to tell the public that they can trust them.

All of the things that they BS'd everyone about over the years, especially the past almost 5 years for me has permanently blown any trust at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 12:51 PM

930 posts, read 333,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Is that the same Trump who was caught red handed and impeached for trying to shake down the president of Ukraine in an attempt to rig his own election in 2020? He`s such a trustworthy man. You can ask the 4,000 who he robbed and had to reimburse for his bogus Trump U.
And found not guilty under the law. Impeachment is just the equivalent of indictment. By your lights, the Duke lacrosse players have a stain for life, since they were accused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice in Wonderland
"Let the jury consider their verdict," the King said, for about the twentieth time that day. "No, no!" said the Queen. "Sentence first, verdict later...."
Now a democratic party motto....

Old 10-29-2021, 10:52 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Today's media is filled with pundits. No journalists to be found who can relay both sides of a coin.

If Sean Hannity decides one day to do Stupid, and pay a compliment to Biden on the airwaves, he'd be fired that very day!

Biden is nothing more than an arbitrary figure. Wouldn't have mattered one iota who was the Democratic President today, all the knives were sharpened, ready to slash away!

Old 10-30-2021, 03:01 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Snort! The media in the U.S. have buried the story of the U.S. Capitol bombing since 1971. Committed by the leftist Weather Underground, they would rather rail against “The January 6 Insurrection”, which newly-released video proves was an elderly crowd slowly milling about while waving flags and recording with their phones.

The only victim of January 6 is an increasingly ignorant populace, due to a propagandist media— and an unarmed woman who was shot in the face by a “heroic” Capitol Police officer. The stories of an officer bludgeoned by a fire extinguisher was patently false.
Shooting domestic terrorists is a good thing. The story of 130 cops being beaten by these goons is real.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:40 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
I don't even trust them when it comes to reporting the weather, they are more interested in ratings than accuracy. Remember that reporter paddling a canoe during a flood and two guys walked past her with water up to their ankles ?

Old 10-30-2021, 06:58 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
1. It depends on what the subject is. If it is something that only affects a small portion of the country (for example, news about the number of acres a wildfire has burned), I will trust it. If it affects anything that is at all political in nature, I don't.

2. I don't get my information from any one source. When I hear or read something that is of interest and/or important to me, I will then try to confirm it with several reputable sources, such as the WSJ.

3. I am not at all sure now that anything I read that concerns any kind of national or political issue or policy is correct unless it is actually stated in some kind of law, with a link to the actual law itself.
It is obvious that outlets like CNN and Fox and most of the others have devolved into infotainment. Much of their programming isn't news or investigative reporting, it is commentary. If you have developed good critical thinking skills over the years, it isn't that hard to tune out the over dramatized rhetoric which is designed to keep you coming back and watching the next episode.

As long as you realize this when you watch this stuff, it's easy to sort out the facts from the fiction. If there is a CNN/MSNBC/Fox/OAN talking head on the screen, in general it is best to ignore them. If an elected representative is speaking live during the broadcast (President, Representative, Senator, Governor) that can be worth watching. I may want to know what that representative is thinking and saying. I could care less about what the talking head (actor or actress) thinks or feels about it.

These outlets have a purpose, in that they can be useful to get some general notion of the headlines of the day. Then of course the thoughtful news consumer will look at many other outlets to get the full story.

A useful tool to get some notion of the overall bias of a media outlet is mediabiasfactcheck.com. Of course specific programs on any of these outlets could vary one way or the other.

Political bias is rated from:
Extreme Left, Left Center, Left, Least Biased, Right-Center, Right and Extreme Right.

Factual reporting is rated from:
Very Low, Low, Mixed, Mostly Factual, High, Very High, Factual Reporting.

Mediabiasfactcheck.com usually includes a detailed analysis and list of failed fact checks.

Some examples:

Right of center bias:

OAN is rated Low for factual reporting, and Extreme Right for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/one-a...-news-network/

Breitbart is rated Mixed for factual reporting, and Extreme Right for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/breitbart/

Fox News is rated Mixed for factual reporting, Right for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news-bias/

Wall Street Journal is rated Mostly Factual for factual reporting, Right/Right-Center for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/wall-street-journal/

National Review is rated Mostly Factual for factual reporting, Right for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/national-review/

Left of center bias:

CNN News is rated Mixed for factual reporting, Left for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/left/cnn-bias/

MSNBC News is rated Mixed for factual reporting, Left for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/msnbc/

NBC news is rated High for factual reporting, Left-Center for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/nbc-news/

CBS news is rated High for factual reporting, Left-Center for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbs-news/

New York Times is rated High for factual reporting, Left-Center for political bias
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/

Washington Post is rated Mostly Factual for factual reporting, Left-Center for political bias.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-post/

Old 10-30-2021, 10:48 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Don't be shy, let's call it for what it is, an official government run propaganda machine.

To reference journalism is to name drop and create a false association between a propaganda machine and the free press.

An authoritarian regime cannot exist in the presence of a free press.

An adled president cannot be elected in the presence of a free press.

A house speaker would be forced to retire by a free press if she said, 'we have to pass it to find out what is in it"

a president would be excoriated if he said, ISIS is the jv team or if he sold 20% of our uranium supply to Putin.

A political party could not get away with twisting words of Trump to create a false political narrative, charlotte for example. TASS, PRAVDA, CNN, MSNBC were critical for the rise of despotic regimes.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:35 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Don't be shy, let's call it for what it is, an official government run propaganda machine.

To reference journalism is to name drop and create a false association between a propaganda machine and the free press.

An authoritarian regime cannot exist in the presence of a free press.

An adled president cannot be elected in the presence of a free press.

A house speaker would be forced to retire by a free press if she said, 'we have to pass it to find out what is in it"

a president would be excoriated if he said, ISIS is the jv team or if he sold 20% of our uranium supply to Putin.

A political party could not get away with twisting words of Trump to create a false political narrative, charlotte for example. TASS, PRAVDA, CNN, MSNBC were critical for the rise of despotic regimes.
A political party wouldn`t allow a black president to fill a Supreme Court vacancy. What if a Democrat was caught red handed shaking down a foreign leader in an attempt to rig his own election? No pity parties for the treasonous party. You don`t have a leg to stand on. Dismissed!

Old 10-31-2021, 05:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
I think the low trust un US and UK arises not so much from bias, but the history of the tabloid press in those countries, diluting the sense that news is taken seriously. Important news is simply not covered, with priority to Florida Man.

Also, international coverage in the US is embarrassingly slanted rah-rah for America's allies, and even the dumbest Americans were not fooled by the stenographic reporting of the Iraq war. People in other lands saw more balanced coverage in their own media.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:48 AM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Is that the same Trump who was caught red handed and impeached for trying to shake down the president of Ukraine in an attempt to rig his own election in 2020? He`s such a trustworthy man. You can ask the 4,000 who he robbed and had to reimburse for his bogus Trump U.
You're just as bad as the lying media. The truth was just spelled out for you, i.e. Trump did not collude with Russia to win the election. THAT was the Big Lie propagated by people like you and the media for 3+ years. Not that Russia spent some money on Facebook ads like they do EVERY election cycle. Instead of admitting the lie, apologizing for it, and promising to do better in the future, you and the media just ignore it and move on to the next left wing lie or diversionary tactic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media