Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM

132 posts, read 390,574 times

Advertisements

we have the midtown skyline too dont we
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
good pictures of the wonderful areas and buildings in the metro. if i could change the venue of some of these buildings, i would have liked to see the international paper buildings in downtown. the triad I-III complex, the crescent building, and the bank building next to the international buildings---oh, clark tower and I bank. fed-x, and medtronic, added to the newly completed and the anticipated construction would look pretty nice, too, i think. could have made some of these pretty big skyscrapers. i love the architecture of that bank. but...you know what they say, "if a frog had wings...!" i have to agree about the international buildings. i like the style, and i really like that indigo color of the glass. i'm sure someone will dispell the myth about my color choice by informing me that it is black. jr always does a good job w/ his work. thanks.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 AM

628 posts, read 1,685,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
we have the midtown skyline too dont we
I'd suppose there are 2 or 3 clusters in Midtown, albeit minor skylines. If I was talking to someone from Chicago or Houston, I'd still say 2.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
We urban planner types tend to see 3 'downtowns' in Memphis: the Downtown we're are familiar with on the river; the 'downtown' of East Memphis along Poplar near Mendenhall; and the 'downtown' of extreme East Memphis in the Poplar/Kirby area. Multiple cores or 'downtowns' are not typically something one would want to brag about; they indicate excessive sprawl -- something most cities are trying to combat.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
We urban planner types tend to see 3 'downtowns' in Memphis: the Downtown we're are familiar with on the river; the 'downtown' of East Memphis along Poplar near Mendenhall; and the 'downtown' of extreme East Memphis in the Poplar/Kirby area. Multiple cores or 'downtowns' are not typically something one would want to brag about; they indicate excessive sprawl -- something most cities are trying to combat.
In no way is Poplar/Kirby separate from the East Memphis sub-market. The referred to core is widely known as POPLAR/I-240. Also, the "shotgun" eastward expansion that happened in Memphis metro during the 1960s-70s has subsided to more even growth-360 degrees, with the exception of Desoto County,MS to the south. East Memphis & Downtown are beautiful in their own right, which makes for a very interesting urban mix. Not to mention, East Memphis is now more centrally located in the metro and the Ridgeway Loop Area has been praised by the federal government for its' design and function, being implemented in many other cities since its' development. The bragging continues...

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 06-16-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Whatever dude. Praise sprawl all you want.

BTW, I don't speak in 'market' terms. I made quite clear that my experience is in urban planning -- not real estate. Your fascination with the outdated mode of buildings--skyscrapers in particular--makes it clear that you're not quite on the cutting edge. Maybe 50 years ago, though.

Last edited by strumpeace; 06-16-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Whatever dude. Praise sprawl all you want.

BTW, I don't speak in 'market' terms. I made quite clear that my experience is in urban planning -- not real estate. Your fascination with the outdated mode of buildings--skyscrapers in particular--makes it clear that you're not quite on the cutting edge. Maybe 50 years ago, though.
Praise sprawl? The East Memphis expansion of 40 years ago had a very negative effect on Downtown and Memphis payed dearly for it, but it has recovered to a large extent and the city is keen on keeping both thriving.

My fascination with skyscrapers? I like skyscrapers fine, but I don't look to them like a city's penis and I'm fully aware that they're not the future of development. The vast majority of Class A buildings in East Memphis aren't skyscrapers. The newest ones are beautiful low-rises like the Shady Grove Bldgs & the Triad Centre III in the Ridgeway Loop I referred to.

I'd hope anyone else who considers themselves the "urban planner type" has assumptions that aren't so far off as yours. I was just trying to showcase the urban enviroment in my city, because too many beleive it's strictly limited to downtown. Isn't that the whole point of this website???

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 06-16-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
apparently, spent too many years in ivory towers, where he lost circulatory function to his brain, while becoming an "urbanist". little rock, as you studied at u of m, doesn't have sprawl??? name other cities which any more than memphis, have actually reduced or are reducing sprawl in the united states. by the way, most of us have read the trends for office campuses and the baltimore speech. how do office campuses the size of fed-x, nissan, and others reduce sprawl? urbanist, just a name for a person trying to find a new niche to pitch another cyclic idea. your an urbanist, and i am a diamond cutter...blah, blah, blah,

Old 06-19-2010, 05:03 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
You took these pics with a cell I want

Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
I love East Memphis, but I don't really consider it to be a second skyline. It's more of a smattering of tall buildings. The buildings are just too far apart. If the buildings were closer, then we'd have a real skyline.

St. Louis has a nice example of a second skyline. Clayton, Missouri is an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis.

This is Clayton looking towards Downtown St. Louis in the distance. There are a couple of minor skylines (Central West End & Midtown) in between. This area is comparable to East Memphis because they're both about the same distance from their respective Downtowns. This would as if you were looking from Clark Tower towards Downtown Memphis.

Clayton, MO - City Skyline Pictures Prints Canvas Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Art Cityscapes b&w

Clayton, MO - City Skyline Pictures Prints Canvas Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Art Cityscapes b&w

Clayton reminds me of a more urban East Memphis. It has similar charming neighborhoods and huge beautiful houses like East Memphis, but it also has an urban downtown & skyline. I hope that one day East Memphis can develop into something like Clayton. I love both places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: