Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:50 PM

15 posts, read 56,773 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'd hate to steal the thunder from TNNC's post asking about homes for rent below (http://www.city-data.com/forum/memph...ouse-rent.html) but I'm very excited

My wife, daughter, and I will be moving out to Memphis soon (I just found out today I got my dream job, and we will be relocating from Southern Colorado in July). We are also trying to get any tips on living areas, events, etc.

We are a 20-something young couple with a 2 year-old, so we are in the middle territory of parenthood where we like to go out to the bars or shows, but also take the lil one to zoos, kid shows, etc.

We are looking to rent a small house/town home if we can so we can have a yard and get a dog, but we are also looking for a fun place without a terrible commute to the area I will be working in, around the Airport (down the street from the Catfish Cabin ). Can anyone recommend a good local realtor/website that might have listings?

I've heard good things about Mud Island, but we know very little about adjusting to life in the South, after living in the dry, cool mountains for decades. We also have seen a lot of pools in backyards, which we would -love- to be able to find a rental home in a nice area at a reasonable price... how long is the swimming season? I hear winter is mostly ice, no snow.

Anyway, the folks who post on this forum have been a godsend when it comes to getting insight on the city, so I will be poking around on here for while.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:39 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,349,740 times
What are you considering a "reasonable price" for a rental house?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 AM

Well, we've got no bones about paying for a nice enough area, so probably between the $1000 to $1500 monthly range. I'm personally interested in life on Mud Island, but again, options with a pool would be nice.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:50 AM

Not sure where/how you'd find a rental home with a pool. Or, maybe you mean an apartment community that has a pool? Regardless, $1500 should be able to get you a house on the island.

Here is a link to a search for rentals in the 38103 zip (downtown) with the max price of $4,000. (Just for FYI.) Most are condos, but you do see some houses scattered in there. The condos are mostly in the downtown core; the houses will mostly be on the island. Be sure to check though.

Crye-Leike, REALTORS®:: Property Search Results

Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 AM

Keep in mind, most houses on the island won't have a yard, esp the ones that will be for rent. If you want a rental house with a substantial sized yard for a dog, check out midtown instead.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks! This is a good place to start. Do you or anyone know about living in Olive Branch, MS and commuting to Memphis? I've heard it's not a bad drive, 45 min on a bad day. Does it have theaters, groceries, etc. centrally?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Olive Branch is a regular suburb of Memphis. Lots of big box stores, chain restaurants, etc. If you will be working by the aiport, Olive Branch isn't a bad drive. However...Olive Branch and downtown Memphis are worlds apart If you are the downtown type of person, you will not enjoy the suburbs, like Olive Branch.

People tend to buy in the suburbs once they've lived here and need to be in a location to send their children to good schools. However if you're moving here for the first time and will be renting, and you like the idea of living on the island, Olive Branch is an odd 2nd choice.

How long is swimming season? I could probably swim in November here It's currently over 100 degrees out, with unbearable humidity. Misery!!!

Old 06-19-2010, 04:58 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,360,916 times
With a $1,500 a month budget. You will be able to find a nice home in Mid-Town

Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Pearlbob,

thanks for the realty site. We are currently going to check out a few leads in East Memphis/Colonial/yorkshire area, near Christian Brothers University. Anybody have some input about the relative "safety" of the area?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 AM

845 posts, read 2,536,130 times
Well, the East Memphis/Colonial/Yorkshire area is not really near CBU. The area near CBU would be midtown/ Cooper-Young. Colonial Acres and Yorkshire are two neighborhoods that are father east (see the sticki map at the top of the forum, Yorkshire is in the area called 'Eastgate" on the map). Colonial Acres and Yorkshire/Eastgate are very safe.

Neighborhoods - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: