Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 AM

46 posts, read 131,041 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what Memphis architecture people find most interesting or beautiful and also what locations are most appealing to them? I find Rhodes to be one of the most beautiful and unique places in Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 AM

455 posts, read 1,548,637 times
If you mean institutional, yes, Rhodes is in a class by itself. Then the old part of the Pink Palace. Some of the older churches and older country club main buildings too.

If you mean residential these are my picks in roughly this order -

Chickasaw Gardens (easily ranks #1)
Galloway Golf Course area (it probably has a more proper name)
Walnut Grove Road (south side, east of Highland)
Hein Park (Rhodes College area)
Central Gardens
Hedgemoor (my personal favorite - I could have bought a home there for $60K in the early '70s that's probably now pushing a million)
East Parkway homes
South Parkway homes (yes, you heard right - at least some of them)
There are a few others scattered around - the one across from the University Club on Lamar - Annesdale? - not sure of the name.

For commercial architecture there are other areas, depending on how large and how old you go for..

Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,345,108 times
www.victorianvillageinc.org

Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,336,186 times
some of my favorites: rhodes, idlewild presbyterian, 1st presbyterian, humphrey's school of law, shelby county courthouse, 1st baptist church, st. mary's cathedral church, 2nd presbyterian, international paper complex, crescent building, sterrick building, godwyn building, the bank fronting poplar going east---never do remember the name, pyramid building, clark tower, main library on poplar, many of the central estate homes, grand central building, 1st congregational church building, the club building on union, lincoln american tower building, some of the south bluffs homes, some of the cottage homes on the island, the new air traffic control tower @ memphis international, new tower @ le bonheur, imani temple building, many of the estate homes on the parkways, overton park area, central gardens, grace-st. luke's church, and many others, but i am too lazy to look them up or think of any additional really interesting structures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: