Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:25 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,645 times

Advertisements

Hex, you're close but not quite. I was talking about Helen's in Brownsville, just north of the square. Bozo's is in Mason, up the road from Memphis just off I-40 and a lot closer than Brownsville. Bozo's is on the way to Helen's however. There are actually two BBQ places in Brownsville. Nothing wrong with the other one, but Helen's is truly outstanding IMHNSO (that's "in my humble never sure opinion", you understand). Btw, Helen's is mostly carryout, but does have a small seating area.

Last edited by Ginsaw; 06-28-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
ginsaw, you are exactly right about the austin-peay hwy. going that route gives you a bit more feel for the cypress trees and the swamp habitat. this area, of course, is a continuation of some of what one sees in the hatchie wildlife reserve. this entire river system spider webs throughout a good deal of w. tn, from the reelfoot area northwest to the bolivar area, southeast of I-40.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM

157 posts, read 440,433 times
Bozos has great BBQ. Be careful driving there. I got a ticket.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 PM

80 posts, read 267,546 times
The old asylum in Bolivar is an awesome display of architecture. When I was a kid we'd drive out to Bolivar from Somerville for shopping. I'd stare at that place from the split second it came into view until it disappeared.

Since we're discussing places that far out, I did truly love Somerville as a kid. It was a dang dinky little town back then, but I had a blast growing up there (til my teens, when we moved). There are some fantastically wonderful folks there. Haven't been there in quite a while. I hope it's as fun and safe for kids as it was when I was a young'un.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM

173 posts, read 323,522 times
rockadoodle...my grand parents lived there. they had lived on a farm near whiteville, but moved to a small house right off the square when the farm became too much for them. when my parents eloped, they were married at the courthouse there. my father ran a junk store on the square for a little while, too. it is a lovely little town. it has one of the best cemetaries for a town that size too. =)

Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM

14 posts, read 53,943 times
Thanks for all the great responses. For commute, I'm talking 45 minutes with traffic as the top end. From Poplar Ave in MEM. Would like it to be in TN, for the tax benefits.

I define 'quaint' as : no strip malls (or very few), older houses that are architecturally pleasing, a community feel, no 'monster house subdivisions', and not overly expensive, but every place has it's upper $$ area, I know.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
"Poplar Avenue" doesn't help a lot with the commute time since it runs from one side of Memphis to the other - about a 30 minute distance from end to end.

I really don't find any of the small towns within 30-45 minutes of Memphis to be "quaint". To me that would be a picturesque town with a well preserved, historic town square surrounded by neighborhoods with well kept older homes.....the kind of town you see in movies. Covington and Somerville probably come the closest, but I don't consider either of them particularly "quaint". They are probably the only ones with an actual town square within that range since they are both county seats. Oakland doesn't have one. Collierville does but, beyond that immediate area, Collierville is just a huge, sprawling suburb. Arlington's center may be quaint, but it's very small with only a handful of businesses - and it's surrounded by subdivisions.

If you find what you're looking for, please let us know!

Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 53,943 times
How about Midtown, near Overton Park?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLioMele View Post
I think Midtown might suit you well. There are some Midtown experts on this board who can advise you as to where to be...and where NOT to be!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM

201 posts, read 636,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLioMele View Post

Midtown ?? heck no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis