Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 23,292 times

Advertisements

Hi, kmbee,

I bet you were surprised by the responses you got. If you do decide to move here, this is how I would answer your original questions.

[quote=kmbee123;14928827]Hi All,

I am in the running for a teaching job in Memphis and I just wanted to get some insight into what the city is really like. I have never been there and am moving from Seattle. If you could help me out with the following questions I would really appreciate it...

1) What area is best to live in safety wise and age wise? I am 24 and want to be able to go out in the evening and meet people. Midtown has a young, cosmopolitan feel to it. Cordova is suburban and newer with convenient shopping. Here, though, your best bet to meet people is through your church.

2) Any suggestions on specific apartments? Cordova has a lot of nice- looking apartment buildings. I've only driven by them, though. I don't know what they're like on the inside.

3) What are the schools like? Are most teachers young or old?

The schools are struggling to say the least. It is a classic inner city environment. Bill Gates has just given a boatload of money to MCS to try to turn things around. They will be implementing a system that places the burden of achievement on the teacher. I would be very reluctant to accept a job there, even though the salary is tempting. I teach at a private school (junior high) and I can tell you from experience that it takes the teacher, parent, STUDENT, and administration all working together to make a difference. It just isn't realistic to expect the teacher to work miracles without student effort and parent involvement.

The Memphis City School teachers I have met through my master's program and professional workshops tend to be mostly young through 40s. Many are transplants from other cities--brand new to Memphis.

As all of the other posters have told you, don't come to Memphis. My husband and I moved here 20 years ago (we were just a few years older than you are) because of my husband's job transfer. We raised our children here. They are now teenagers and although Memphis is the only home they've known, they hate it here. They've visited Boston, Washington, Tampa, Sarasota, Nashville, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas, St. Louis, and NYC and feel that any place is better than here. It's sad, but true in a lot of ways. On the plus side, the people here are great and there are some very nice family-oriented communities. I think it's tougher if you are young and single to really like it here, but I can't speak from personal experience.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck with your decision. Please post again with what you decide.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 AM

201 posts, read 636,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
westtnman, don't even waste your time. It's not worth it.

indeed one of the more intelligent approaches and statements offered....

EVERYone has an opinion, and no one must agree...and personal attacks are against the Terms of Use for this site...

it's quite fine to attempt to attack the substance of a poster's writings, but it's a violation of course to personalize the attack..

but wait, I forgot again, I'm in Memphis

Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM

61 posts, read 206,773 times
I'll go about this from a different angle. Instead of copying and pasting a quote by weisenheist and getting it deleted, I'll just post the quote.

Your argument in this thread is one of acceptance and tolerance. You assert that people should be forced or force themselves into relationships from a non-ethnocentric viewpoint. Your premise is indeed noble. I am doubtful that the majority would disagree with the ideals of building relationships outside thier own comfort zones, nurturing these, and maintaining them. Again, indeed noble aspirations. Yet while calling attention to this wonderful existence you chastise, criticize, reprimand, and bash others. In addition, you use derogatory racial remarks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
Again.....your role should be to focus on what YOU CHOOSE to state..not to provide another poster what YOU THINK they should be POSTING ! get it yet ??

Second, it's of no consequence for YOU to evaluate whether 'BALANCE' is present according to YOUR thinking . get it yet ??

Posters have no 'duty' to be 'balanced', skewed, positive, negative or anything else ...they certainly have no 'duty' or responsibility to YOU
GET IT yet ???

For heaven's sake, why don't you simply conduct yourself the way YOU wish to write and not attempt to put YOURSELF in a position of evaluating another poster personally ??

In short, you must feel that I owe you et al some degree of 'agreement' in your specious and out of line assessment that I am not offering up the degree of what YOU DEFINE as 'balance'

Are you nuts ?? I only offer up my own opinions, stop attempting to suggest you're in a position to chastise me for some ungodly and stupid reason.

I speak for no one other than myself...is that okay with you know "Mr. Memphis BossMaine"

yah-suh BOssMaine, next time I's gonna check wit you befo I writes anything that may offend howz you sees thangs...

If my honest feedback offends you, the best thing to do is to ignore it, and not attempt to silence others' legitimate opinions....

wake up, it's the 21st Century everywhere else BossMaine

unbelievable
"That dog don't hunt." Here's another idiom. "You're talking out of both sides of your mouth." An argument is upheld (especially on a forum like this) by words. When those words are pooled with other written words from the same author a true meaning as to whether the words are geniune appear. As stated in an earlier post....your scolding and condescending tone and your opinions of tolerance and dialogue are antagonistic. Or in other words...this assertion by you "won't hold water".

Get it?

unreal....

Old 07-21-2010, 12:45 PM

201 posts, read 636,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westtnman View Post
I'll go about this from a different angle. Instead of copying and pasting a quote by weisenheist and getting it deleted, I'll just post the quote.

Your argument in this thread is one of acceptance and tolerance. You assert that people should be forced or force themselves into relationships from a non-ethnocentric viewpoint. Your premise is indeed noble. I am doubtful that the majority would disagree with the ideals of building relationships outside thier own comfort zones, nurturing these, and maintaining them. Again, indeed noble aspirations. Yet while calling attention to this wonderful existence you chastise, criticize, reprimand, and bash others. In addition, you use derogatory racial remarks....

"That dog don't hunt." Here's another idiom. "You're talking out of both sides of your mouth." An argument is upheld (especially on a forum like this) by words. When those words are pooled with other written words from the same author a true meaning as to whether the words are geniune appear. As stated in an earlier post....your scolding and condescending tone and your opinions of tolerance and dialogue are antagonistic. Or in other words...this assertion by you "won't hold water".

Get it?

unreal....

This seems imbecilic....''argument upheld by words' ?

I hate to break it to you BossMaIne, I don't care what you think about my opinions..

They're OPINIONS ! READ THIS >>>>>I don't care what you think about opinions...duh

get it ??

later BosSMaIne

Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,336,465 times
Memphis needs new blood and new ideas. So I say Welcome to any transplant!! There is much to enjoy, and many terrific organizations that are geared to your age group. Don't mind the malcontents and the miserables.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 PM

61 posts, read 206,773 times
Default Who to?

Are you directing this response to me or to Tigertate or does everyone get a racial slur thrown at them when they disagree with your posts?

Tolerance and dialogue.....

Quote:
This seems imbecilic....''argument upheld by words' ?

I hate to break it to you BossMaIne, I don't care what you think about my opinions..

They're OPINIONS ! READ THIS >>>>>I don't care what you think about opinions...duh

get it ??

later BosSMaIne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
The virtue of many of the good posters here is balance. People know there are negative things about Memphis but they can also let people know specific information that will make life here better for new residents (i.e. info on good schools, neighborhoods, etc.). However, it seems like your only word of advice to people is to move somewhere else. There is no balance in your posting. It’s all negative, all the time. If you could at least throw in a bit of useable information here and there that would be great. I am sure you have your reasons for the way you see this city and that is fine with me. I am just trying to encourage you to also help people out with some useful information because you seem like an intelligent person who probably can provide great information to people looking to (or forced to) relocate here.
Quote:
Again.....your role should be to focus on what YOU CHOOSE to state..not to provide another poster what YOU THINK they should be POSTING ! get it yet ??

Second, it's of no consequence for YOU to evaluate whether 'BALANCE' is present according to YOUR thinking . get it yet ??

Posters have no 'duty' to be 'balanced', skewed, positive, negative or anything else ...they certainly have no 'duty' or responsibility to YOU
GET IT yet ???

For heaven's sake, why don't you simply conduct yourself the way YOU wish to write and not attempt to put YOURSELF in a position of evaluating another poster personally ??

In short, you must feel that I owe you et al some degree of 'agreement' in your specious and out of line assessment that I am not offering up the degree of what YOU DEFINE as 'balance'

Are you nuts ?? I only offer up my own opinions, stop attempting to suggest you're in a position to chastise me for some ungodly and stupid reason.

I speak for no one other than myself...is that okay with you know "Mr. Memphis BossMaine"

yah-suh BOssMaine, next time I's gonna check wit you befo I writes anything that may offend howz you sees thangs...

If my honest feedback offends you, the best thing to do is to ignore it, and not attempt to silence others' legitimate opinions....

wake up, it's the 21st Century everywhere else BossMaine

unbelievable

Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 PM

17 posts, read 18,084 times
"I believe this town's white citizens would rather have an all white Memphis." (thenuegeye,07/2010).

I agree with you that a certain number of Anglo-American Whites seem to be thriving on something they hear and see in a certain number of African-American residents in Memphis. I hear and see more of a number of the same responses about Memphis in city-data using the Anglo-American to be pictured as "verbal thugs and robbers" to the businesses and people of Memphis who have and are working hard to build a positive reputation for Memphis. They would be very sad to know people, are you wealthy? are you racists? downplaying and sabotaging Memphis in City-Data like they have.

What may be surprising is youth hear a negative strain of confidence you have in them as to where, this negative may seem difficult to change. They do not understand, like I do not. This builds agression. It takes concerned and responsible Anglo and African-American Adults to share in helping youth know what is right and what is wrong. Changing starts with each of us no matter what color. I am a huge fan of Pastor Charles Stanley(Anglo-American) of Intouch Ministries online or perhaps also on Memphis cable. He is out of Atlanta as I am a resident in its suburbs. Listening to Dr. Stanley and people(Anglo or African) like him in either of these two ways will help Memphis to heal and be healthy economically, educationally, and cutural wise. Most of these responses about Memphis does not sound good at all. Memphis needs prayer and guidance to All of its residents as a Group. Before prayer, repentence has got to happen. I pray the writers who tell others about Memphis with the help of the new Memphis Mayor Wharton asks residents, they know who they are, for their repentence and prayer. I am from Jackson and Memphis and would like to move back to Memphis after 30 years. I can assist in making positive differences and similiarities with having an open mind. I look forward to getting back to Memphis to assist you.
I wish to work within a Memphis non-profit organization assisting youth, adults, and the disabled on life skills and various sectors of education. Please contact me if you have non-profit and outreach programs who would be able to direct me to action to utilize my counsel and skills.
I left Memphis thirty years ago because of better opportunities, but have visited numerous times and I thought I was seeing a positive change. I love the upbeat with police and security and how well FedX is doing. I see the better calminess in the people. I wish to assist and with the help of the entire Memphis community, in helping these people see that they have a strong economic future as a team through educating themselves.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:15 PM

242 posts, read 973,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Memphis needs new blood and new ideas. So I say Welcome to any transplant!! There is much to enjoy, and many terrific organizations that are geared to your age group. Don't mind the malcontents and the miserables.

Agreed!!! Will have been here for one year in Oct. I love it! My kids are in Memphis City Schools. I shop at the local stores. I eat at the local restaurants. I live in an area that has many section 8 and my neighbors are so so so nice!!! I love them.

Yup, I have been here a while and I actually still love Memphis. So do MANY MANY other transplants! We just dont post here much because we're too busy having fun!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,336,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepony View Post
Agreed!!! Will have been here for one year in Oct. I love it! My kids are in Memphis City Schools. I shop at the local stores. I eat at the local restaurants. I live in an area that has many section 8 and my neighbors are so so so nice!!! I love them.

Yup, I have been here a while and I actually still love Memphis. So do MANY MANY other transplants! We just dont post here much because we're too busy having fun!
Haha... glad to hear it. Be careful about the malcontents, though...

Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 PM

45 posts, read 111,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepony View Post

I'm glad to hear that! I take most of what I read on here with a grain of salt and will make my own opinion when I get to Memphis. I must admit though, at first all the negativity did get me wondering at first. But I try to live my life with balance...looking at the good and the bad. Those who only look for bad will most certainly find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis