Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:54 PM

550 posts, read 602,783 times

Advertisements

Always getting all the negative attention. Got people on national TV claiming there are no OBGYN's in Shelby County!?!?!? Frayser, you suck! Shame on the moms not keeping tabs on their little girls. Now there will be more babies with odds stacked against them due to being raised in poverty, violence, and ignorance. You fail again, Memphis. Stay trashy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM

128 posts, read 460,887 times
80sKid, I'm confused. Can you post a link to what you are talking about?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Sure!!

Mayor Wharton to 'Today' show expert: 'We DO have OB/GYNs here' » The Commercial Appeal

Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,301,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Always getting all the negative attention. Got people on national TV claiming there are no OBGYN's in Shelby County!?!?!? Frayser, you suck! Shame on the moms not keeping tabs on their little girls. Now there will be more babies with odds stacked against them due to being raised in poverty, violence, and ignorance. You fail again, Memphis. Stay trashy!
1) How incredibly sexist. How about 'shame on the dads not keeping tabs on their boys'. It takes two to make a baby.

2) The Frayser pregnancy pact/scare is a completely unsubstantiated claim. You're making harsh judgments about people you don't know based on facts you don't have.

3) If the story were true (and it is apparently not), I would think it would be reasonable to consider poverty, violence, and ignorance as contributors to the problem in the first place. In other words, the people making the babies live in poverty, violence, and ignorance. Why would anyone expect anything better. Again, though, the mass pregnancy claim is being disputed by people in the know.

4) If the story were true (and it is apparently not), how would this be an indicator that Memphis has 'failed again'? Wouldn't it be an indictment on a specific portion of the population -- not the city as a whole?

It seems that you--and some others--are so anxious to find something terrible around every corner in Memphis that you conveniently overlook facts, reason, and logic. That's a terrible way to go through life. I sincerely hope you can rise above Memphis' poverty, violence, and ignorance (!) and find yourself a better place to live. What's the point of staying in a place that makes you so hate-filled?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM

128 posts, read 460,887 times
Dude, I still don't get where you are coming from. Frayser didn't tell this psychiatrist to make a blatantly stupid statement. According to the article link, the mayor went on the show later to correct this misstatement. Besides if the general public believes everything they hear on television, then this country is in real trouble.

Also you are saying this lady's comments are going to result in more pregnancies? That's illogical.

You want to blame the girls and their mothers. Don't forget to look at the other half of the equation also.

The ways to avoid teen pregnancy are fairly clear based on success in other parts of the country: education, involving kids in after school activities (build self esteem and keep kids out of mischief), and good parenting.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 AM

98 posts, read 369,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
1) How incredibly sexist. How about 'shame on the dads not keeping tabs on their boys'. It takes two to make a baby.

2) The Frayser pregnancy pact/scare is a completely unsubstantiated claim. You're making harsh judgments about people you don't know based on facts you don't have.

3) If the story were true (and it is apparently not), I would think it would be reasonable to consider poverty, violence, and ignorance as contributors to the problem in the first place. In other words, the people making the babies live in poverty, violence, and ignorance. Why would anyone expect anything better. Again, though, the mass pregnancy claim is being disputed by people in the know.

4) If the story were true (and it is apparently not), how would this be an indicator that Memphis has 'failed again'? Wouldn't it be an indictment on a specific portion of the population -- not the city as a whole?

It seems that you--and some others--are so anxious to find something terrible around every corner in Memphis that you conveniently overlook facts, reason, and logic. That's a terrible way to go through life. I sincerely hope you can rise above Memphis' poverty, violence, and ignorance (!) and find yourself a better place to live. What's the point of staying in a place that makes you so hate-filled?
What dads? Those little boys more than likely were born to mothers like the ones in their school. That's why the cycle continues. So the burden will fall on the mother and the mother alone to raise the kids right. That's why so important to get the girls on the right track early on and to make the right decision about their children before they are born.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,945,248 times
The story about Frayser high school was also on Drudgereport.com a few days ago. Not an appealing story for those with children considering a move to Memphis.

I do think Memphis is getting better, however. We have two mayors who are working together, the crime rate is getting better, we have Electrolux and possibly Mitsubishi bringing new jobs, and the schools could possibly get better through consolidation (emphasis on "Possibly").

Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgillmd View Post
Dude, I still don't get where you are coming from. Frayser didn't tell this psychiatrist to make a blatantly stupid statement. According to the article link, the mayor went on the show later to correct this misstatement. Besides if the general public believes everything they hear on television, then this country is in real trouble.

Also you are saying this lady's comments are going to result in more pregnancies? That's illogical.

You want to blame the girls and their mothers. Don't forget to look at the other half of the equation also.

The ways to avoid teen pregnancy are fairly clear based on success in other parts of the country: education, involving kids in after school activities (build self esteem and keep kids out of mischief), and good parenting.
I will respond to you first, my friend. I never blamed the Frayser community for the false statement a New York doctor made. And this country has been in real trouble for a while now.

What part of the equation did I leave out?? Unless a female is forced into sex, she is responsible for who she allows into her body. But I do believe both parties should be responsible for raising the child/children. Also, why are we all assuming these teen girls were impregnated by teen boys? I'll bet most of the baby daddies are grown men preying on young girls. They should all be tried and convicted for statutory rape and the mothers should be punished for allowing it. Honestly, most of the mothers know when their little girls are involved with these losers.

The way to avoid teen pregnancy is parental involvement. It's not a math teacher's responsibility to teach teenagers about sex. Please, all, stop making this an issue about schools. This country's test scores aren't low due to lack of sex education in schools.

Quote:
I never made this statement. You misunderstood what you read.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 AM

628 posts, read 1,681,716 times
This story was already exposed as false. Frayser High has a large group of pregnant girls because of transfers to 2 teen parenting programs available there. Oh yeah and right, Shelby County has some of the best healthcare facilities around, but no OB/GYNs. This story should go right next to the Balloon Boy Hoax!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post

I already addressed #1 in my other reply. On to #2.

#2. How is it "unsubstantiated"?? 86 girls, 90 girls!! It's still way too many. You're defending a community you know nothing about. I'm from the community. And any real Memphian knows the North Memphis/Frayser area is an impoverished one. Much like most of the inner-city. So the chances of a child being born into poverty, ignorance, and violence is pretty likely in Frayser. But most of these poor areas are filled with black people so it's not a big issue if it doesn't affect you and your community, right??

#3. Who is disputing the claims?? No one is. The superintendent tried and failed. There is no special school for pregnant girls at Frayser High. He was attempting to control the damage but he was too late. This bad news had already spread like the plague across the world.

#4. Memphis fails again because it's another black eye for a city that's STILL struggling to find its identity.

Quote:
You're just way too sensitive. And you don't have to walk to the corner to find the negative in Memphis. It's at every other step. It seems that you--and some others--feel you're doing a service to the city by lying to potential transplants. Posters like yourself are being deceptive and I will call you out whenever I feel the need to. You should pray for the city first, then for me. Pray with me, brother/sister. I mean, you seem to be so concerned with my mental and emotional well-being. Wish me away to a happy place so I can do as Cosmicgoat did and never have to deal with this city's dysfunction again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: