Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to Memphis at the end of August from Philadelphia, PA. Single professional male looking for a great rental in a trendy but safe neighborhood. Tired of the burbs but don't want to be in the middle of the excitement. Have a small dog who is social. I have read many posts about Overton, Midtown and South Main and even Evergreen. Please share opinions and perspective, good news and horror storiess. Thank you/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichiren View Post
Hello,
I am moving to Memphis at the end of August from Philadelphia, PA. Single professional male looking for a great rental in a trendy but safe neighborhood. Tired of the burbs but don't want to be in the middle of the excitement. Have a small dog who is social. I have read many posts about Overton, Midtown and South Main and even Evergreen. Please share opinions and perspective, good news and horror storiess. Thank you/
There are neighborhoods in the Cooper/Young area of Midtown that are decent, but there are pockets of good and/or bad very close together. I don't know if you are looking for an apartment or a duplex, but there are plenty in Cooper/Young and south of Overton Park on Poplar.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
If you want to be in the middle of "excitement" I'd pick living downtown. Midtown is more residential, you'd most likely be in a rental house or duplex, maybe with a small yard, and you would be within a short drive from excitement, but not right in the middle of it

I love midtown, I have no horror stories from living there. I also have no horror stories from living downtown. Both have pros and cons. In midtown I'd stick to Evergreen, Central Gardens, or MAYBE Cooper Young if you can find a good place on a good street (a lot of that area is a little iffy).

Downtown you can live in the South Main area, but not necessarily be in the middle of noise and crowds. Have you looked at Harbortown/mud island? Or is that off your list?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM

14 posts, read 56,271 times
If you can, and if you haven't already, I'd really advise going to look at the areas, even just for a day or two. You can drive through these areas in just a few hours and that will allow you to really get a feel for what the areas are like and which feels most like 'you'. It's hard to see this on paper.

My very limited input, having never lived in Memphis but recently searched for a place to live (we're moving the beginning of August). We looked at a place near Overton Square and on paper it seemed ideal but in reality it wasn't for us at all. The house's yard faced an fairly large abandoned hotel and Overton Square was also kind of deserted/abandoned. And some of the areas around it looked fairly run-down. But streets closer to Overton Park were nicer. Midtown, Evergreen, South Main, and Harbortown are all quite nice--but each a bit different from one another. I guess South Main and Harbortown seemed trendiest. Evergreen and Midtown had more of a suburban feel almost--lots of trees, cute homes. But again, my experience is limited here in making an assessment. There's also a (seemingly) nice apartment complex called South Bluffs Apartments that is near the river and allows easy trolley access to downtown.

We found that downtown was not very bustling and is quite nice and safe. We almost rented downtown but in the end wanted more space than an apartment/condo would offer and a yard for our dogs so choose a house right on the edge of Midtown/East Memphis. We can still get downtown in 15 minutes or so and it's close to shopping, restaurants, etc.

Last edited by carol37; 07-15-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Here are my votes. GL on the decision, and Welcome to Memphis

Midtown: Central Gardens > www.centralgardens.org

Downtown: South Main District > www.southmainmemphis.net

Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
Default Midtown is a great place to live

I currently live in the Vollentine Evergreen area which is north of Overton Park. Midtown is a very eclectic mix of people and I know you will love it here . The two best areas of midtown are Central Gardens and the area right around Overton Park. Cooper Young is a bit dicey and you would definitely want to see something in person before you chose a place to live.

Downtown has its advantages - close to night life, restaurants, etc...but not as safe and has limited parking and a lot of homeless people.

If you are looking at something specific I would be glad to help. I have lived in Memphis most of my life (left to go to law school and then came back).

Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis