U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,132,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
What, is exercise a sin now? I'd much rather they apply their compulsive behavior in exercise than in other ways. Heck, if they want to do supermarathons more power to them. The more athleticism the better I say, as long as it doesn't involve steroids.
Nice strawman. They can run till they keel over, just not in traffic. Congrats on totally missing the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,386,117 times
You may need to work on expressing your point better then.

Either way, I still believe that bike lanes are better than no bike lanes. And am glad that the community is doing something to encourage biking.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
You may need to work on expressing your point better then.

I thought that it was quite clear. What is the point of joggers running in high traffic areas when there are plenty of parks with jogging trails and residential neighborhoods to jog in. The point is that to stoke their vanity, some runners insist on running where everyone can see them in their scanty silks, jogging at somewhere like Poplar and Perkins. Can you think of any other reason that these people choose to jog where there is a lot of traffic congestion? I can't.

When I walk, for example, I go to a walking trail in a secluded park where there is zero chance of some texting idiot running over me with their two ton SUV.

Understand now?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 PM

5,240 posts, read 6,457,913 times
Strangely, I agree with weisenheist on some of this. We are talking about a city where the majority of drivers can't negotiate a simple four way stop. I've always thought Memphis should do some tv spots on road safety.
I laughed at the descriptions of the classes of riders, especially of the mommy and me crowd on their way to Fresh Market.
However, the article says some of the targeted areas include the U of M area, downtown, and midtown, and I could see that maybe getting some use in those areas. If they choose some main thoroughfares to connect one end of the city to the other I hope they choose less congested roads like Park Ave.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 PM

165 posts, read 287,429 times
".....and stupid drivers.....reeeeaaalll stupid"

Amen, brother. Never seen so many retards sitting at green lights waiting for them to turn yellow before they start moving. It irritates the crap out of me. You have to add an extra 15 minutes to your travel time to make up for the unskilled motorists. You should know how to drive when you're behind the wheel. You shouldn't have to think about it. That's what teenagers do. I routinely glance over and see terrified motorists gripping their steering wheels on the expressway. I can't help but wonder how they got a driver's license. I had another driver almost stop in front of me while attempting to merge onto the expressway. I had to forcefully gesture her to get the "F" over. I'm not sure what stopping and waiting for someone in rush hour traffic to let you in would accomplish. Especially when you have drivers behind you who know how to properly merge into traffic. Memphis motorists aren't evolved enough to respect a bicycle lane.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuegeye View Post
".....and stupid drivers.....reeeeaaalll stupid"

Amen, brother. Never seen so many retards sitting at green lights waiting for them to turn yellow before they start moving.
Do you know what is worse that a Memphis driver? One with a license plate with 11 letters in the state name. You talk about a very real and constant danger, Mississippi drivers on Memphis streets takes it down another level.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:58 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,100,031 times
Bike lanes can be a great asset if they're designed well and placed along appropriate corridors. Targeting Midtown and The U of M area first is a great idea. I hope, though, that the lanes include signage or markings making it clear to others that the bike lanes are bike lanes, not parallel parking lanes. I lived in a town that had miles and miles of bike lanes but no signage/markings indicating the lanes were bike lanes; some became impossible for cyclists to use because people kept parking in the lanes.

Maybe if the bike lanes go well, Memphis can consider bicycle boulevards.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM

630 posts, read 921,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
^^^^^^^ Popcorn

Thanks for picking me up Cosmic. Johnny Boy, you just seem yo live in an unrealistic world
Thanks again 901-G. You and Co$mic be puttin me down yo. Keepin it real for 2k10!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 AM

839 posts, read 1,220,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Bike lanes can be a great asset if they're designed well and placed along appropriate corridors. Targeting Midtown and The U of M area first is a great idea. I hope, though, that the lanes include signage or markings making it clear to others that the bike lanes are bike lanes, not parallel parking lanes. I lived in a town that had miles and miles of bike lanes but no signage/markings indicating the lanes were bike lanes; some became impossible for cyclists to use because people kept parking in the lanes.

Maybe if the bike lanes go well, Memphis can consider bicycle boulevards.

This is a great point. Other cities in this area (Germantown in particular) have bike lanes, but do not restrict the parking in the bike lanes. You basically have bikers riding beside you for a half mile or so in their bike lane then jut out into traffic suddenly to avoid a parked car. I almost killed a guy on Farmington because of this. This is a tragedy waiting to happen. I think Memphis has been cautious about implementing bike lanes because it is not something you just do haphazardly. There are other factors to consider like on street parking and striping changes. You would be surprised at the number of people that will raise holy he** if you restrict the parking in front of their house to install bike lanes. And how many of you really want to see some roadways reduced from 4-lanes to 2 so that bike lanes can be installed? The city is moving forward quickly now because Wharton made promises in his campaign and the very vocal biking crowd is holding him to it. However he is going to realize that it is easier said than done. I think the city can realistically install bike lanes on some major collector and minor artery type streets like Quince, Yates, Shady Grove, Knight Arnold, Chelsea, Southern etc., but you have some nuts demanding bike lanes on Major streets like Poplar, Winchester, and Walnut Grove. That is just unrealistic, but it is very hard to tell some people that.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post

Better North-South outer-band roads-
Oh, man, the N-S situation is a disgrace. Yes, good ole Shelby Farms, where the buffalo roam. There is no reasonable way to travel from one mid-sized Tennessee city (Bartlett) to another mid-sized city (Germantown) without going through the hellish gauntlet of Wolfchase and that Clusterf*** down G'town Pkwy, or going down a two lane country road labyrinth called Raleigh LaGrange et all.

It's pathetic. Covington Pike changes to Stratford and dead ends at Summer
Sycamore view dead-ends at the Penal Farm and you have to wind your way through something called farm road, then Walnut Grove, then Humphreys Blve., then G'town Parkway, you get the picture, to get to Germantown. -or- you can take the good ole 240 and hope for the best.

City planning in Memphis? It is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis