U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2010, 02:25 PM

12 posts, read 20,563 times
Default kids age to stay at home alone

I live in memphis TN. I have two boys, one will be in 4th grade (9 yrs old) and the other will be a 6th grader (11 yrs old). At what age can you leave your child at home alone for a short period of stay...say about 4 hours during the day ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 PM

11,622 posts, read 8,929,810 times
Tennessee uses age 10 as a GUIDELINE, but most national agencies recommend 12. The Red Cross minimum age for baby sitter certification is 12, so I would go with that.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:03 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,236,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZB2010 View Post
I live in memphis TN. I have two boys, one will be in 4th grade (9 yrs old) and the other will be a 6th grader (11 yrs old). At what age can you leave your child at home alone for a short period of stay...say about 4 hours during the day ?
Combine there ages and you have a 20 year old. One more year and they'll be able to drink....Damn they grow up fast

Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM

128 posts, read 246,246 times
Wow, there are actually rules about it?

If what you say is a guideline and not law, then I would use some common sense about how responsible your kids can be and whether there is anyone nearby that they can go to for help.

When we moved into our own apartment, after moving to the U.S. and staying with my aunt for 1.5 years, my mom worked two jobs. We saw her very briefly when we got home from school (1-2 hours). We didn't even see my dad until night. He helped us get ready for school in the mornings.

By that time I was 9.5 years old, and my sister was 6.5 years old. We basically looked out for each other, and knew there were two neighbors to go to if we really needed help. We also had our parents contact numbers, as well as that of our aunt.

I was about as responsible as an average 9 year old kid at that time, but learned more responsibility very quickly.

So my opinion would be to make sure there are no formal laws, and then use common sense to decide your course of action.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM

128 posts, read 246,246 times
I'm procrastinating reading through articles, so here is what i found when I went to Google. It is from Tennessee Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges. Hope it helps:

What is the legal age for kids to stay home alone?
There is no legal age for children to stay at home alone. Parents are advised to use their best judgment, keeping the child's maturity level and safety issues in mind. Younger children have a greater need for supervision and care than older children. Obviously, young children under age 10 should not be left without supervision at any time. In most cases, older teenage children may be left alone for short periods of time.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 PM

733 posts, read 1,427,176 times
The Red Cross offers a great course for 11 years olds, I think it's called "When I'm in charge". If your boys get along very well, there is someone very close by in case of emergency, and you can call every hour or two, it should be okay to leave them alone for 4 hours on occasion. I sure hope you're didn't mean every day, that would leave way too much room for them to get in trouble!

I would also have a strict no internet rule if it were me!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,973 times
I have a 10 yr old son who wants to stay at home by himself for a hour or two when his dad has to go run errands. I dont see anything wrong with it. His Nana lives next door and his granny is a block up the road.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM

945 posts, read 1,018,804 times
My 11 year old nephew stays home alone for hours at a time. He just pops in movies, plays with toys and makes himself a sandwich. I've had to go over there a few times to check on him, and he won't open the door for anyone unless you call first.

I think it really depends on how mature and comfortable the child is. If you can trust them not to use the microwave or stove and not to open the door to strangers, it will probably be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis