U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,364,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper69 View Post
I like what I am reading!!!
That says a lot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 PM

550 posts, read 175,285 times
I was thinking that too. Skip, that's kinda sick, man!!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
I don't. I hate seeing the city ranked in crap lists. But hey,.....we earned it.
I don't either. I do think we are taking small steps to improve. And that it's harder to change public image than those small steps, even if they matter (and I think they do).

It's easier to establish Miami as one of the worst cities in America, crime-ridden, etc (i.e. 80s) than it is to pull Miami out of that image, even with all the modernity, all the glitz, all the economic development. Just like it's easier to pull someone down than to rebuild them back up, particularly someone in the limelight like an athlete, actor, politician, etc.

But we should never stop trying. Which is what I admire about groups like Clean Memphis, Skatelife, Bridges, Levitt Shell Foundation, Binghampton Development, etc.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM

550 posts, read 175,285 times
EDUCATION is the ONLY solution. And I don't mean a bunch of theoretical book sense with no idea how to apply it. The culture here needs to shift to one that values knowledge over gangster-ism and ghetto-ism. We must hold pathetic, lazy, deadbeat parents accountable for their disruptive kids. These are the ONLY solutions. Children are the future. Don't care about the youth then you obviously don't care about the future.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 PM

No arguments about that. Except I would say improving education is the best and quickest solution if we are looking at the solutions to improving quality of life. But tied to education is exercise and improving health. They go hand in hand.

And this doesn't mean do nothing else, though. It is imperative not to be single-minded. Education should be a priority. But there would be those who would argue fairly that crime should be a priority too. Education, health/exercise, crime, these are all chicken and egg problems that are intertwined. Sure if you solve education that leads strongly to solving health problems and crime; but you can't do things one at a time. But ignoring other opportunities to improve quality of life will have us stagnating.

Investing in the future -- our children -- is absolutely true.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:40 AM

51 posts, read 62,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
I don't. I hate seeing the city ranked in crap lists. But hey,.....we earned it.
Sorry 80sKid, I was referring to JRs post .(new at this)

Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,101,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post

But we should never stop trying. Which is what I admire about groups like Clean Memphis, Skatelife, Bridges, Levitt Shell Foundation, Binghampton Development, etc.
All this is well and good, but I have answered the question in the title of the thread many times. No, I don't think Memphis is a good place to live. That is my opinion and assessment based on this point in time. What will it be like in 30 years? Who knows? It may be a urban paradise, it may be virtually the same, it may be worse, but right now Memphis is not a good place to live.

I am under no obligation to you or anyone else to be optimistic or paint a picture of Memphis that does not exist.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:45 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,261,644 times
Time now 8:45 Temp is a pleasant 85 degrees

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 AM

201 posts, read 323,367 times
Hey, I think all of these magazines/assessments/surveys just are a bunch of 'miserables' and have a vendetta against Memphis for some unknown reason...lol

They are all wrong about Memphis, they just don't understand how progressive and well-educated we really are

I'm disappointed in how all the surveys and assessments just have it in for Memphis, they are obviously lying on us

They just don't want to talk about all of the obvious positives about how great it is to live in such a progressive southern city

They don't understand that we in Memphis have BBQ

We have super schools

Great, responsive government

I hate it when people just lie on my home, The BLuff City

They just don't understand that we're on the move towards being a leading edge city !

lol

Old 10-25-2010, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,959 times
Hmmm .. Interesting?! Recently moved here with my family in 6 months now. I heard u those whose saying nega to this place. But I believe it's not Memphis that needs to change it's the people whose making this place unpleasant. To be honest, I was so doubtful or say fearful about the move and hearing what others feel about this place makes me more anxious esp when we just had a baby early this year. We have more than a couple of trips here looking for houses. We had bad exp so as sweet ones. Love love our neighbors, schools and foods. I would say i miss some friends, shops, resto & markets but so far some trade ins have been beneficial. Let's say ohh lesser stress.. Moving from California, I would say Memphis has been a blessing in disguise.. Hope it would become a best place to live ... Someday!! So pls pls Vote wisely on this election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis