U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:07 AM

164 posts, read 192,659 times
From my experience and in my opinion, whitehaven is not all that bad. Its very established, and still have alot of nice homes and quiet neighborhoods. It still have a quite large number of older and middle class people in the area also. The good out weight the bad, and Whitehaven high school isn't that bad either, optional shcool, and I believe the class of 2009 had raised more money in scholarships than any shcool in Memphis that year so that tells you alot about the students. A few people I know that live in Whitehaven or long time residents are proud residents. That being said I've seen alot of change in the past few years and rumors also. New homes are supposed to be built off holmes rd. near the Army base, Southwest Community college that already have a Whitehaven branch near the airport is to supposedly relocate in the Whitehaven plaza near the picadilly's, and etc. Even the plans that are suppose to happen in the Graceland area are suppose to raise the quality of the area. Whitehaven isn't the best but far from bad.. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 AM

630 posts, read 904,132 times
Gaining Speed
Momentum builds for collaborative efforts to improve Whitehaven
NICKY ROBERTSHAW HITCHING | Special to The Memphis News

For years the Whitehaven community has been fighting against urban decay, crime and economic decline, including the effects of the recent recession.
But with ambitious plans for Graceland in the offing, committed political leadership in place and cooperation from the major players in the area, Whitehaven seems poised to turn an important corner.

Gaining Speed - Memphis Daily News - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research

A new visitor center sits at the corner of Brooks and Elvis Presley Boulevard, the entrance to Whitehaven. Photos: Lance Murphey

A.J. Reddy and Patrick Neale of Atlanta pose for a snapshot outside Graceland.

Visitors tour the Lisa Marie airplane at Graceland.

The new Lit Junior restaurant retail store at 1665 Winchester Road is one of a few new businesses that have opened a location in Whitehaven recently.

Truck dealer Diamond International finished a $6 million expansion of its Brooks Road property in Whitehaven.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 AM

838 posts, read 1,189,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
From my experience and in my opinion, whitehaven is not all that bad. Its very established, and still have alot of nice homes and quiet neighborhoods. It still have a quite large number of older and middle class people in the area also. The good out weight the bad, and Whitehaven high school isn't that bad either, optional shcool, and I believe the class of 2009 had raised more money in scholarships than any shcool in Memphis that year so that tells you alot about the students. A few people I know that live in Whitehaven or long time residents are proud residents. That being said I've seen alot of change in the past few years and rumors also. New homes are supposed to be built off holmes rd. near the Army base, Southwest Community college that already have a Whitehaven branch near the airport is to supposedly relocate in the Whitehaven plaza near the picadilly's, and etc. Even the plans that are suppose to happen in the Graceland area are suppose to raise the quality of the area. Whitehaven isn't the best but far from bad.. IMO

I agree, the area is not as bad as the reputation it carries. I have family that lives in the area and they both have not had any issues with crime at all. One lives in an upscale gated neighborhood with half million dollar homes (near the former Mayor's house); so you would not expect them to have issues. The other lives on Carol Dr near Millbranch and Raines. I have been at both homes at all hours (night and day) and the neighborhoods are quiet and well kept. The neighbors look out for each other and take care of their property. The Whitehaven area was actually developed very nicely and the neighborhoods are really attractive. Whites abandoned the area in the 1980's and there were some residual problems with changing demographics and crime, but over the last 10 years there has been a little revitalization (new homes, new business, etc.). I will admit that there is crime and trashy people in some areas of Whitehaven, but the area is quite large, comparatively speaking, so that can be expected. From my experience most of the crime happens in the apartment complexes and the major commercial areas. Most of the single family neighborhoods are fine. I probably would not buy in the area personally, but if I made less money and was considering affordable areas, I probably would not completely rule the area out. I would probably just do most of my shopping in Desoto County to avoid the riff raff. Now my perspective is coming from a black man that has actually spent substantial time in the area. The perspective of someone that is not black may be quite different if they are not comfortable being around a lot of black people.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 AM

1,023 posts, read 896,068 times
Interesting article from the Daily News. I sure hope they can revitalize the area- it would be perfect geographically. Between Downtown and DeSoto, right next to the airport. I think it speaks well for the area that Chuck Hutton decided to stay. It would've been really easy to locate a few miles south into booming Southaven, but they didn't. Hopefully more people will notice that.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 AM

201 posts, read 323,367 times
The problem in Memphis, is that one one hand people will rush to say that Whtiehaven is 'not that bad', or 'coming back', or being 'revitalized', BUT

when pressed, if you ask all these same people saying 'nice' things abpout Whitehaven, IF they would LIVE THERE, they would say NO............and I doubt seriously ANYONE that is WHITE on this forum actually LIVES in Whitehaven, or would CHOOSE to live in Whitehaven

why ?? they are patently disingenuous.....ergo, BOGUS

they'll say things like, "oh I agree, it's not that bad", but they actually LIVE in other sections of the City...Midtown, Bartlett, etc...

AGAIN, they are exceedingly BOGUS

the same complimenters of Whitehaven, don't even GO anywhere close to Whitehaven....ever

Let's just see :

How many posters here on this topic, LIVE in Whitehaven ??

come on ?? START A ROLLCALL

I DON't live in Whitehaven, nor would I ever consider it...nor do I visit it............FACT

Last edited by weisenheist; 08-16-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 AM

369 posts, read 709,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
This is my feeling as well.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,051,441 times
Whitehaven has some not-so-pleasant parts, but there are some terrific neighborhoods there. There is a solid African-American middle class there -- and that's something that's hard to find in Memphis. I think it's great that retailers have gone against the grain and stayed at Southland. Having been to some really, really bad neighborhoods in Memphis, I'd take Whitehaven any day over some of the others.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM

165 posts, read 344,512 times
Whitehaven used to be an unincorporated area south of what was Memphis. It was built after WWII into the 1960's. My old house on Boeingshire was built in 1962 (just found that out recently because it is up for sale. It went for something like 85K for a 50 year old four bedroom home.

White flight started when Memphis annexed the area around 1970. Most of the whites refused to send their kids to public schools because of bussing and integration, sending them to private or church private schools. In my neighborhood in the 1970's, I would go to one private school, a kid a block away went to another private school, the Catholic kids down the street went to Catholic school and the kid across the street from them went to the public school. Four different sets of kids going to four different schools although we lived within a stone throw of each other.

The whites got tired of paying $1000 USD (which is about $3000 USD in 2010 dollars) a year to send their runt to the third grade and pulled up stakes and left. The African Americans moved in, which sped the process of more whites leaving for Mississippi, Germantown/Collierville, or Hickory Hill, which will be annexed by Memphis in the late 1980's, starting the "white flight" process all over again.

Whitehaven mirrors a lot with Raleigh. Raleigh is basically Whitehaven north. Raleigh was also annexed by Memphis. Whites (the tax base) left. Same with Hickory Hill. Now the Memphis Monster is ruining Cordova. My parents moved to Germantown, partly because it can never be annexed. As a matter of course to anyone wanting to move here, don't live in unincorporated Shelby County because Memphis will grab you too. This means higher property taxes, a crappy school system and a general decline in life.

Section 8 is starting to ghettoize sections of the city and county I never dreamed would ever go rough. The ghetto people are getting houses for cheap defaulted housing. The taxpayers and humans see this, and again...............run away. People have been pushed so far east that they are building housing in Fayette freaking County.

We were one of the last whites out in 1981. There were a few white families living in the old 'hood up to the 1990's and beyond. Most of these people, because of economics just could not move. Some were lucky and were bought out by the city because of the expansion of the airport. My friend's family wanted this, but they lived a bit too far away.

Southland and Southbrook are still there. Southland is and always been a dump, but Southbrook still has its two anchor stores. The last time I set foot in there was in the late 1980's. I just checked and saw that they don't have a website, so there is no way of knowing what is in there or not.

Graceland is very safe, however, I would advise people not to go to any of the businesses around it, or at very least, only buy gas on 51 (Elvis Blvd.) and leave the rest be. To "out of towners" take a tour there, get there, see the ugly house and leave the area.

Brooks Rd. in the daytime is a safe area, full of what I remember as trucking and light industry area. There is a lot of prostitution and sex shops in that area that runs at or under the radar of the vice unit of the Memphis Police Dept. I would not go to Brooks to "party" unless you want VD or a bullet in the head.

Whitehaven is far from the worst area, go to North Memphis, or Southwest Memphis, or the fringes of downtown. But, there really isn't anything else to see or do in Whitehaven. If I was black, there might be certain areas of Whitehaven which would be fine to live in. I am white and do not want to live in a black neighborhood. Crime, violence and drugs are higher in African American neighborhoods. I as a white would never be accepted or wanted in their neighborhoods, and would not have a voice there.

Concerning crime and violence, if you do not find trouble, trouble will not find you. I was once mugged not far from Graceland, but I was looking for drugs and picked up the wrong dude (I was a bit insane in the 1990's, I am much, much better now.) and was robbed. A lot of murders in the city happen either between family/friends/acquaintences or over drugs or debts.

If you want to live "on the wildside", find a club in Midtown, or go to the Tunica boats.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM

164 posts, read 192,659 times
Well just to be speaking I recently moved from a nice home in Whitehaven this month, all my time there me and my family never had a problem with crime. At night time, the streets of my neighborhood was very quiet and the neighborhoods kept up with there yards and even had best yard of the month asigned to the best yard. Still had neighborhood watch and even neighborhood meetings...heck even the kids hardly caused any problems.
@JohnnyRyall- I read that article and everything they are saying is true, and I noticed the change for the better over the years with businesses coming in.
@SeniorBoogie- I swear I thought I was the only one who thought of Raleigh as "Whitehaven of north Memphis" lol

Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,364,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Wasn't that a gang initiation where the mall cop was gunned down there a few months ago?
Not according to this: Cops arrest suspect in Southland Mall killing The Commercial Appeal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis