Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 AM

628 posts, read 1,685,702 times

Advertisements

By Wayne Risher
Memphis Commercial Appeal

Wharton convened the leaders at a recent meeting to discuss a unified application for the initiative. They met with FedEx founder Frederick W. Smith, a champion of the electric vehicle's role in enhancing economic and national security.

Wharton, suburban mayors want to make Memphis leader for electric vehicles » The Commercial Appeal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Zipcar service coming to Rhodes College
Memphis Business Journal

Rhodes is partnering with Cambridge, Mass.-based Zipcar to provide on-campus vehicles for student use. Students can use the cars for needs ranging from errands around town to short weekend trips. The company provides an option for students who live on campus and don’t have personal vehicles.

Zipcar service coming to Rhodes College - Memphis Business Journal

COURTESY ZIPCAR

Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Memphis Airport Prepares for Green Cars
The Daily News – Tom Wilemon

The new consolidated ground transportation center under construction at Memphis International Airport will have charging stations for the new generation of vehicles that run on electricity.

Digest - Memphis Daily News - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research

Photo courtesy of the Memphis Shelby County Airport Authority

Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
By Wayne Risher
Memphis Commercial Appeal

Wharton convened the leaders at a recent meeting to discuss a unified application for the initiative. They met with FedEx founder Frederick W. Smith, a champion of the electric vehicle's role in enhancing economic and national security.

Wharton, suburban mayors want to make Memphis leader for electric vehicles » The Commercial Appeal
Do you think the population of Memphis, as it is, will accept this type of vehicle?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Do you think the population of Memphis, as it is, will accept this type of vehicle?
We have no choice about that. Zero. It's been decreed.

Electric cars or carts are not being presented nationally on the basis of whether you accept them or whether there's electric power or tax dollars to support it or whether you can drive for any kind of distances with it.

If forced to give you a reason at all, "they" will say the internal combustion engine must be abolished to save the planet from immediate destruction, or something of that sort.

Like a lot of other things that have been put over on Americans, it's being done strictly on the "here it comes, so get used to it" basis.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
We have no choice about that. Zero. It's been decreed.

Like a lot of other things that have been put over on Americans, it's being done strictly on the "here it comes, so get used to it" basis.
Well, I've got my 2006 Toyota 4R V-8 and I will keep it till I die. I don't think they will shut off the gas pumps anytime soon.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,324 times
I'm glad that we're preparing to accommodate those vehicles.

It's even nicer to see the broad regional collaboration, more so than in the past.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 PM

128 posts, read 462,250 times
I'm a fan of anything that decreases my gasoline bill (I have a 2010 Prius and love it), but we have to be realistic.

There is not enough information in the article -- are they talking pure electric vehicles only, or hybrids? What are they going to cost? When I was looking into a Prius last year I was told by a salesman that I would need to keep it for 6-7 years to break even or get a slight benefit as opposed to getting a different, less fuel efficient car (based on the price of gas). Since I plan to keep my car for longer than that it was a deal for me. But how long is the life span of the average City of Memphis vehicle? What happens to them afterwards?

The money may be coming from federal money, but don't forget that the federal money comes from our taxes. If we have a say in the process, I would argue for more information before committing more tax payer resources towards something that may not be worthwhile.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 AM

329 posts, read 635,979 times
This Looks Good ! Can't wait till it happens

Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 AM

201 posts, read 636,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post

the short answer is NO, of course, they will not

the Mayor should be focusing on something truly rewarding for the future of local citizens that will pay dividends for years and years to come..

that would be an "educational initiative" county/region-wide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: