U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 PM

201 posts, read 347,724 times

Advertisements

Kiplinger Financial Magazine did rank Memphis

More importantly read what criteria they used in determining the 10 best cities for the next decade :

Find out how Memphis came out and which cities made several new lists !

10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Kiplinger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM

61 posts, read 117,572 times
I cannot tell where Memphis ranks overall on the sortable list. I did notice how Memphis ranked on the individual criteria that was available.

Memphis ranked #10 in best cost of living. #15 in percentage of workforce in creative classes. #218 in median household income. #284 in income growth. #233 in employment growth. There are 367 cities ranked.

Top 15 in 2 categories. Middle to low middle in 2 categories. Low in 1 category.

I am not surprised except for the ranking in workforce in creative classes. This is defined and explained as -

Creative-class workers -- scientists, engineers, educators, writers, artists, entertainers and others -- inject both economic and cultural vitality into a city and help make it a vibrant place to live.

Maybe I missed a link or interpreted something wrong here. Maybe not. I wouldn't expect Memphis to be high in the median household income. Nor would I expect Memphis to be at the top of the overall list. This doesn't mean that it is a bad place to live or visit.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM

8,241 posts, read 10,591,737 times
Living in the #1 ranked city, Austin, I can tell you that it's not all wine and roses. It's a gorgeous place to live, with lots of jobs and great shops and restaurants, for sure. BUT. Our property taxes are going through the roof as homes appreciate, our traffic is a mess and the 'creative/artistic' class is getting priced out of the city. I love Austin, but it's not perfect. I wonder about how these rankings are [i]really[i]calculated.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM

201 posts, read 347,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Living in the #1 ranked city, Austin, I can tell you that it's not all wine and roses. It's a gorgeous place to live, with lots of jobs and great shops and restaurants, for sure. BUT. Our property taxes are going through the roof as homes appreciate, our traffic is a mess and the 'creative/artistic' class is getting priced out of the city. I love Austin, but it's not perfect. I wonder about how these rankings are [i]really[i]calculated.

If you actually read the entire Kiplinger article, and its sub-articles which are definitely well-described, you would understand EXACTLY how these rankings were calculated....

Comparatvely in most categories, Memphis, TN was out-flanked, and dwarfed by many sicentific and objective criteria, save the relative lower cost of 'living' .... but there also were other cities that had cheap 'housing' and essentially better rankings.........

The Kiplinger's article is certainly germane to Memphis and Memphians because it provides another 'measuring stick' to see where Memphis could improve itself, its environment, its government, infrastructure, education, and the like..

Some one earlier actually suggested that the article was off topic when it comes to Memphis........obviously they did not read or appreciate the effort that Kiplinger put into the assessment in the first place...

Mmephians must stop being fearful about legitimate and necessary comparisons with other cities.....every one, every institution, every family makes comparisons....we LIVE by comparisons......

If a company is seeking to relocate, I doubt they would choose Memphis, TN based on shallow considerations......they look at the 'meat' of the matter......so do families if they choose to accept things like transfers to Memphis...........that's why the article from Kiplingers is relevant

I read with absolute laughable horror that another poster actually suggested this assessment was not 'relevant' to the Memphis Forum.....the assessment clearly mentioned Memphis in several categories, and to somehow suggest that Memphians should not be interested in how Memphis stacks up with other cities, smacks of exactly why Memphis ranks so low by comparison in the first place......

Wake up, we live in an inter-connected world...by city, by state, by region, by nation, by communication and by people.......

Memphians should not sit by with their heads in the sand, and ignore legitimate pictures painted right before their eyes by responsible entities such as Kiplingers and many other reputable researchers.............or attempt to suggest that if a poster merely mentions a competitive assessment involving Memphis they are attempting to malign Memphis.....that would be one of the dumbest things imaginable..

I do hope people gain something, AFTER fully reading the article, as opposed to immediately suggesting it has no 'relevance' to the Memphis Forum..............of course it has relevance....unless you are one angry, narrow thinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis