Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 PM

100 posts, read 233,482 times

Advertisements

Family member is mid-twenty single professional who has accepted new job in Memphis. Will be there next week to find housing for immediate or 2 week occupancy. Any recommendations for safe place (hotel) to base out of while looking? Flying in to MEM - hoping to look in Collierville area (although open to suggestions) for apartment 1 or 2 bdr/WD in unit/air, safety/secured parking and access are priorities. $700-$1100 range. Willing to commute 20-30 min. Coming from a rural area where people don't lock their doors, but has traveled extensively and not naive - knows the importance of location. Please help with specific apartments (name and address if possible). Do you know anything about Legacy Farms? The Preserve at Forest Creek? The Preserve website looks comparable to where he currently resides. Plus would be proximity to golf. Also, curious why so few places offer garages? Sorry about long post - thought the more info I provided, the more specific responses we would receive. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM

128 posts, read 462,189 times
There's a place, I can't remember the name unfortunately, off of Poplar near 240. It's near a Marriot and a huge Target. There was construction going on near the Target about a year ago. Right next to the hotel was this Chinese or Japanese restaurant. Unfortunately I can't remember the name now. I'm sure someone on this board can probably put all this together to come up with a name for the hotel.

My work put me up there when the movers didn't keep to their schedule. Seemed like a safe area. The rooms even had stoves you could cook on.

It's in the general direction of Collierville. About 20 minutes to The Med/downtown if you drive at a normal rate of speed, so probably about 10 minutes or less to Collierville (one of my colleagues in Southwind is 30 minutes from The Med).

Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM

128 posts, read 462,189 times
Does Benihana's ring a bell? That may have been the restaurant.

Parking is an uncovered parking lot, sometimes overflowing towards the restaurant. A bunch of kids were staying there for a basketball competition last year, so there may have been more cars than usual. So the parking lot is not "secured" but the area felt safe.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,765 times
I have a friend that lives in Legacy farms, it looks really nice, they keep the grounds up very well. Super convenient to 385. It's gated too, so should be very safe.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Thank you very much! I really appreciate all information. I am new to the forum and am grateful for the friendly answers. I will try to return the favor for questions that I see for my area. BTW Are there any good public golf courses nearby?

Old 09-04-2010, 02:13 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Mirimichi (partially owned by Justin Timberlake) is supposedly a world-class course north of town. Never been there, and they recently closed for a bit for more renovations (I think), but I believe they are open now.

Mirimichi

Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Thank you! Given a choice, would you recommend Cordova, Germantown, or Collierville? Do you have any other apartment/townhouse rental suggestions?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Also, checked out Mirimichi and it looks very nice - exactly what he is looking for. Many thanks.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
For a permenant home/apt? Gtown and Cville are better than Cordova for permenant living (homes, schools, etc) - a lot of "Cordova" isn't even a city now, it's part of Memphis. But if you don't have kids, you're looking to rent, and price is a factor, than Cordova is just fine. You'll find cheaper options there for rentals. It's also closer to Memphis (sort of) than Gtown and definitely than Cville. Those cities are great, but more for settling down, not as much for younger folks looking to rent.

And did I miss it? Where are you commuting to? Downtown? If so - 20 min isn't going to cut it from any of those areas. If the commute is downtown, have you checked out the apts on Harbortown? It's a 'suburban' feel downtown, not really walkable to downtown but close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometown Josie View Post
Thank you! Given a choice, would you recommend Cordova, Germantown, or Collierville? Do you have any other apartment/townhouse rental suggestions?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Commuting to area near I-240 and West Poplar. Flying in Wednesday to look and am hoping to use this forum to narrow search. I am traveling companion who was invited to take advantage of opportunity to tour while he makes decision. Apt/townhouse living desirable at this point - no yard, etc. due to workaholic factor (but loves golf). Very open to suggestions - colleagues appear to live from Mississippi, to C'Ville, to downtown. Very social but not prone to clubbing or college-type lifestyle. Price is always a consideration, but not primary factor. Cordova sounds like a miss. All I have to go on for commute time is map - not sure if that is realistic. I will do some homework on Harbortown. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis