U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
Default Jackson TN to Downtown Memphis commute

Next week I have to commute from Jackson, TN to downtown Memphis, (only a five day thing) and wanted to get an idea on the amount of time it would take during “rush hour traffic”. I live less than a mile from Exit 80 on I-40 in Jackson so it normally takes at the most 75 minutes to do the drive in non-rush hour times to get to downtown Memphis.I’m shooting to arrive at 8:15am each day. Should I expect 90 minutes to be enough to get me there? Also, where should I expect to be slowed down with most traffic at: Shelby Co. line/Arlington, Bartlett, I-40/I-240 merge, south on Danny Thomas going toward Union Ave…any, all, other spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM

357 posts, read 744,298 times
Last year I made several 8 a.m. drives out of Mfs as far as the Brownsville exit and between the 240/40 interchange on out past Canada Rd the eastbound lanes were OK, but the westbound lanes were stopped up bad...bumper to bumper..stop and go. 75 minutes would not have been enough time by far. I'd leave a couple hours early the first few trips, then re-calculate the time based on that.

Btw, if for any reason you find the 240N route around Mfs to downtown intolerable, then get on Sam Cooper at the 240/40 interchange and take it all the way to its end at E. Pky, then take a right, then a left on N. Pky and follow it all the way on to D. Thomas and downtown. There are several major east/west arteries to downtown (Poplar & Union) but relatively few people take N. Pky and it goes pretty quickly and comes out close to downtown (depending on what part you're going to) without having to mess with the interstate.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ginsaw; 11-04-2010 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,828,484 times
I had a coworker who did this and it took her at least 90 min each morning, usually longer due to traffic and construction problems.

The traffic slow downs will start on I-40 out in the suburbs around the Germantown exit as mentioned.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:45 AM

1,010 posts, read 2,585,242 times
Lately the I-40 inbound traffic backup has been starting around Appling Road....maybe Whitten on a good day....sometimes none at all on a REALLY good day. Friday is usually the best day...I suppose a lot of people take off from work on Friday. Rainy days are the worst since people don't seem to have acquired the skill to drive down a perfectly straight stretch of highway without running into each other.

I second Ginsaw's suggestion of going straight in Sam Cooper instead of taking the north loop. Any traffic congestion ends at the flyover and traffic zips right along on Sam Cooper.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 AM

550 posts, read 183,357 times
Here's some helpful advice. You want to be in the Germantown Pkwy/Appling/Whitten area before say, 7:10-ish. This is by far the worst traffic in the metro area. Generally any time between 7a.m. and 8a.m. is bad. If you have to be at your destination by 8:15 then you might want to get there at about 7:25 or 7:30. You should be fine taking the 240N route then. That way you can avoid any traffic lights.

If you're anything like me and hate sitting still in traffic for no reason then I wouldn't suggest this drive everyday unless you had no other options. Takes me about 30 or 35 minutes to get to work on bad days and I'm ballistic because of it. On a good day I can make it in about 15 to 20 minutes coming from the Appling exit to downtown Memphis.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 AM

79 posts, read 130,972 times
A monster truck or a tank that goes 80mph would be one option. Since we're being serious, I'll agree with 80sKid and say get to Germantown Rd. by 7:00-7:15 at least. And wear your patient pants.

I'd go nuts if I had to come in-bound I-40 every day.

It's too bad there's not a fast way to go a little north of the city and cut back down or something.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
Looking for Hotel/Motel along the I40 highway between Memphis & Nashville. About an hour or so North of Memphis??

TRAVELING ON WEDNESDAY 11/10

Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,306,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEsevers View Post
Looking for Hotel/Motel along the I40 highway between Memphis & Nashville. About an hour or so North of Memphis??

TRAVELING ON WEDNESDAY 11/10
Probally would've helped to start your on thread. I would've recommended Jackson Tn. Exit Hwy 45 Bypass So. Hampton Inn is on your left about a 1/2 mile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis