U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,306,016 times
Thumbs down City Inspection...New Rules...LOL

From now on out any cars 1996 and above are being hooked up to a diagnostic board. In order from them to do this they ask you to step out of the car and stand to the side whilst they do there thing. This process takes 12-15 minutes per car -vs- the 3-6 minutes it use to take using the ole probe up the tailpipe There were only 3 cars in my line today and I spent 38 minutes trying to get through this. I cannot express what a disappointing and cumbersome expierence this was. I asked the attendant how they handle the handicap, and she stated they just work around there feet...Are you freekin kidding me. Good Grief

The car I took through today was a 2010 Porsche Twin Turbo with 2,800 miles on the clock with tan leather and floor mats. I was very concerned about the way the lady was getting in and out of the car with her greasy work boots and uniform and sure enogh there was a big greasy foot print on the mat.

This latest technology is a total failure IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM

280 posts, read 521,575 times
Maybe it will go faster after they get use to the new equipment? I imagine alot of the people doing inspections aren't use to plugging a computer into the car and reading it. Either way, I'm glad I don't have to go through inspections.

A repair shop once put a greasy hand print on my wife's car seat after having some work done there. I took the car back up there and they took the car to be detailed. If only the government was concerned about customer service.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 AM

839 posts, read 1,215,922 times
This is horse ish. Why in the heck are they adding another layer to the already burdensome inspection process? Are they trying to run people out of Memphis? No one else in the metro area has to go through this crap and they have the nerve to add another layer to this crap (shaking head).

Old 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM

14 posts, read 33,734 times
We went for an inspection at the new Appling station on Tuesday and the actual inspection only took about 2-3 minutes. And since it had just opened there wasn't a line at all. Though it's a pain I was surprised it was free--since my experience in other cities where an inspection is required was always having to pay for the inspection.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 PM

357 posts, read 744,298 times
It was required by the 1990 Clean Air Act, a Federal law - http://www.cityofmemphis.org/pdf_for...iagnostics.pdf

I suspect it'll be a pain to go through, but isn't it more than worth it to know you're now environmentally and ecologically sound?

This has actually been in the works a long time, but now you're seeing its effects in a real life way.

And it's nonsensical, unnecessary, excessive, intrusive, arbitrary and should be repealed. But can you imagine what would happen to anyone who ran on a platform of repealing even a part of the "Clean Air Act"? It would take some kind of really courageous and intellectually honest politician to advocate that.

Anyway, for most Memphians it's another "roll over and learn to live with it" on the long, long list of such things. For me, it matters not. I have an old car I'm very fond of that I've been driving since the '80s. There are no plans to part with it. This latest affront to common sense by the governing class is just another reason I'll avoid as long as possible buying a new one. Besides, mine sails right through inspection, and I don't like the looks and styling anyway of what they call new cars. So I'll give it a skip...for now.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,252 times
The best way to avoid inspections is to not register your car in Memphis. If you have family living nearby, just register your car there. I lived and worked there for 6 years and nobody ever did anything to compel me to do so. My job did have me take the company car for inspection once--it's not worth fooling with (listening to a bunch of bossy idiots tell you what to do)

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM

123 posts, read 162,820 times
I was told that vehicles from 2008 and newer were exempt from the inspection... Actually my registration renewal form states that.
Is this wrong?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM

23 posts, read 26,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natsherr View Post
I was told that vehicles from 2008 and newer were exempt from the inspection... Actually my registration renewal form states that.
Is this wrong?

No - that is correct. This was just implemented at the beginning of the year.

Newer cars to be exempt from emissions, safety tests beginning next week The Commercial Appeal

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM

123 posts, read 162,820 times
I thought so. I'm glad I bought a 2008
Thank you for the verification!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,585,242 times
Took my '95 Miata through the Appling station yesterday. The place was a ghost town, even though the web cams showed lines at all the other stations. I'm sure that'll change once more people realize it's open now. Took maybe 2 minutes. Probably would have taken longer if it was OBDII instead of OBDI.

Maybe I'll take my MG through just for grins... "There's no bar code on the door jamb!"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis