Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM

60 posts, read 206,958 times

Advertisements

Are there any romantic places to take a date in Memphis?!? If so please recommend them, because it seems like the only thing to do in Memphis date wise is dinner and a movie, which is SO high school...

Also, can anybody recommend a good white wine while you're at it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM

21 posts, read 86,177 times
We don't live in Memphis yet so I have no suggestions re: a date place/activity but I can throw my two cents in for white wine: German Riesling, French or Italian Pinot Grigio. Don't have favorite brands though.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post The place that I always thought was romantic was

the little Japanese garden area at Memphis Botannical Garden with the red bridge where people sometimes get married.............that would be a nice walk or place when the weather is nice. I like to get out of the city even if for a short drive outside the suburbs......some nearby towns have quaint little spots.....

Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,272 times
White Zinfandel is what you want. While Riesling is my personal favorite in German Rhine wines, it frequently seems too sweet for the taste of many to whom I've offered it. The Zinfandel however is pretty much standard and few don't like it. Just don't let the waiter get confused and bring you the red variety, unless you simply want to see what it tastes like. As for brands, Beringer's pretty good, but so are many others. Just look at the wine list and ask the waiter.

And if you want people to think you know your wines, it's white with fish or chicken.

As for romantic spots in Memphis, that's strictly a matter of taste and you know what they all say...there's no accounting for it. It just depends on what YOU think is romantic and that frequently shouldn't need a special place at all.

Anyway, are you talking about for dinner for two, or for a walk outdoors or for a sit in a public place. If it were me, I might think it's Tom Lee Park or Overton Park or Court Square or the Peabody Lobby. Some think it's an expensive restaurant. Generally, I disagree with that. I can't be romantic and at the same time be worrying about getting handed a $100 tab.

Frankly, I know of nowhere in Memphis I consider romantic outdoors in the cold of Winter, excepting in a melancholy type of way. There're some places in warm weather and there are many outlying spots in the Mid-South that can be like that...way too many to list.

But, I'll end with this..if you're looking for just one "romantic" dinner I'd vote for Paulettes. Good luck.

Last edited by Ginsaw; 11-18-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 PM

209 posts, read 812,024 times
Take a horse and carriage ride at night downtown. It's sooo romantic! When my husband and I took one a while back we just told the guy we were looking for a romantic stroll. He took us through that park (I think it's called Confederate Park) next to the law school and it was quiet and beautiful with the bridge all lit up. We went in the summertime, but if you go when it's cold most of carriages have blankets for you to cozy up under.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 AM

45 posts, read 111,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
White Zinfandel is what you want. While Riesling is my personal favorite in German Rhine wines, it frequently seems too sweet for the taste of many to whom I've offered it. The Zinfandel however is pretty much standard and few don't like it. Just don't let the waiter get confused and bring you the red variety, unless you simply want to see what it tastes like. As for brands, Beringer's pretty good, but so are many others. Just look at the wine list and ask the waiter.

And if you want people to think you know your wines, it's white with fish or chicken.
It depends on your date. If she has some wine knowledge, she very well may snicker if you order a White Zinfandel. I would. Try a nice Sauvignon Blanc - you'll get fruity and crisp, rather than cloying sweet. You can also go with a dry or off-dry Riesling, which will be less sweet.

If you "want people to think you know your wines", you base white or red on what is in the sauce of the dish. For instance, if you have chicken but it is in a heavy port or sherry-based sauce, it it perfectly fine to order a red wine. A white wine won't hold up to it. You can also always go with a nice, lighter wine like a Pinot Noir, which pairs with quite a bit.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
I agree, Zinfadels have "fallen out of favor" according to my favorite wine shop. I love Rieslings with dessert, but not with dinner.
How about a wine tasting? That would be somewhat romantic, plus fun and you could learn about wines together. I would go out with someone who invited me to a wine tasting in a heartbeat (assumming, of course, that I wasn't already married with 3 kids. Guys showing an ability to plan a fun date is romantic in itself.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
I've been trying to think of something, but I'm at a loss. Especially in the cold, like was mentioned above. But, a horse carriage ride is a good idea, or simply walking along the river at sunset is nice, although I'm not sure if that's "romantic." Maybe a picnic blanket and some wine on the bluff and watch the sunset?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
How about a wine tasting? That would be somewhat romantic, plus fun and you could learn about wines together.
Now, THERE'S an idea. I wish I had thought of that.

I certainly can't disagree with any of the wine advice, but I suppose I should say I'm basing my opinion about Zinfandel on several personal observations. And I do have a real fondness for German wines anyway.

Probably there is one very "romantic" spot I can think of, the Peabody's rooftop, if it's open this time of year. The view of the city from there is almost too wonderful. And when I mentioned Winter time "melancholy" romanticism, I was referring more to places with a personal connection. Like a walk around Chickasaw Gardens lake, knowing my family lived in a home there in the 1930s, or a hike out at the farm with the leaves in color knowing that I've only been spending Falls there since the early '70s. Or, a lunch at the Little Tea Shop or a walk thru Court Square this time of year, remembering back on a career of working downtown and all the times of being in those same places.

Anyway, I have kind of bitter-sweet feelings about the horse carriage thing. I understand how it's viewed as romantic, but I have to admit I'm one of those who feels sorry for the horses..and yeah, I know, they're well treated and it's a better deal for them considering the alternative, but still...

Last edited by Ginsaw; 11-19-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Ginsaw-
You should try a white merlot, I think you would like it. It's still part of the blush wine "out of favor" category, but people should drink what they like.
If I am taking a bottle of wine somewhere, I don't usually do a blush. But I still buy them for myself to drink at home occassionally.
I also like fun wines- like the Mad Housewife wines. I'm sure most wine snobs would be appalled, but I like their reds. I also sometimes mix Diet Sprite and ice with my red wines to make a little spritzer. Oh the horror!
If you are ever in a Trader Joes (outside of TN), you should try some Two Buck Chuck. Their wines are surprisingly good, esp. for the price. And I have a friend who uses a good aerator with them, and that makes them taste like a much more expensive wine.

We were just at Trader Joe's in GA and bought a bottle of every wine they had under $5 to see how they were. Not just their own wines, but the other brands too. Ill be interested to see which one we like best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis