Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:05 PM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times

Advertisements

High Point Terrace and Belle Meade are really good neighborhoods. They're roughly halfway between St. Jude and the eastern suburbs of the city. My main point in recommending this area is the Greenline runs through/around them, allowing you to run/bike from your home out to Shelby Farms (a huge park in East Memphis / Germantown / Cordova area) and back.

Also, the commute to St. Jude would be pretty quick down Summer Avenue to North Parkway.

Another option would be the Evergreen neighborhood (north of Poplar only), as it's very close to St. Jude and adjacent to Overton Park, with its old-growth forest that you could run through.

A couple notes... I'm not sure what "affordability" means to you; housing in Memphis is pretty cheap compared to NOVA/DC.
Also, being "FAR" from crime-prone areas is difficult in Memphis. Geographic proximity to lower-end neighborhoods here doesn't really mean much, unless you're living way out in east Germantown or Collierville. But your commute to St. Jude would be on the far end of commute times in the metro.

http://greatermemphisgreenline.com/
http://shelbyfarmspark.org/shelbyfarmsgreenline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Po...rrace,_Memphis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Meade,_Memphis
http://evergreendistrict.org/

Last edited by jabogitlu; 02-23-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM

159 posts, read 157,213 times
Have you considered Mud Island? There are several apartment communities there, as well as single family homes. It's close to St. Jude's, it's considered to be very safe, and has a great park you could run in. It also seems to be a popular destination for international professionals, which may be a perk.

Then again, the apartments on Mud Island are not all particularly cheap. I live at the Renaissance, an apartment building on North Main Street downtown. It would be a short commute from here to St. Jude - surely no more than 5 - 10 minutes. The rent here is very affordable for the area (rent downtown can tend to be higher than in some other parts of town), and I have been impressed by the lack of bugs and other pests in my apartment.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:41 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bnoted View Post
it is a task to find bed-bugs, croaches, and rodent-free community), and affordability.
This is very true. Its so very frustrating but true.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,658 times
Thank you for the suggestions. From what you mentioned I get that farther east I go, the safer it gets. Also I checked that they are much cheaper over there. For example one of the most recommended apartments at apartmentrating.com is "The Reserve at Mt. Moriah" and the rent for this one is 775 for 3BR whereas it is usually 1000$ up near downtown for 2BR. So, I think I won't mind driving ~35 miles (round trip) if it saves me money and I stay in a better area.

**By affordable I meant under 1000 for 2BR (lesser the better). One of the prime reasons I am interested in moving to Memphis is to save money. DC/NOVA has made me complete broke :-(

Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
I would definitely look at The Renaissance, as another poster mentioned. Downtown Memphis (including the south end / south bluffs and Mud Island) is actually quite safe, one of the safest parts of the city. Why make a huge commute if you don't have to?

One of the primary motivators of people living in the suburbs and in suburban East Memphis is good schools and jobs out east. Since you don't have either of those, you're in a great position to save commuting costs by living closer in. You may have heard that Memphis is dangerous, and that can be very true if you're living in North Memphis, South Memphis, the old suburban areas (e.g., Hickory Hill, Frayser, parts of Raleigh, Whitehaven) or a fringe Midtown neighborhood. But if you're living downtown or safe Midtown neighborhoods, you'll be just fine.

If you really are sold on living out east, the Madison Humphreys apartments are in a safe place, very close to Shelby Farms Park for your runs, and very accessible to the north I-240 loop, which would be a quick commute (10-15 minutes) into St. Jude. I looked at them when I first moved to Memphis and liked what I saw.

I don't know that I could recommend the Reserve at Mt. Morah. The city south of 385 (Nonconnah Parkway) is hit or miss, especially with those large apartment complexes. It's a little close to Hickory Hill for my liking.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 7,658 times
Thank you again for your prompt reply. I will surely check the Renaissance and I read about another nearby apartment - Uptown Square. Unless there is big cost difference b/w these places (including Mud island and south end) and the east, I will stick nearby.
Thanx again.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 AM

191 posts, read 303,512 times
Mud Island is a great place to live, and you would probably find lots of other folk who work at St. Jude's. Many people run in that park. One of the apartment complexes on the north end of Mud Island has been advertising a lot on Craigslist. Don't know if that means they have lots of vacancies, but maybe you could negotiate your rent. You would save a lot of money and time commuting. In Memphis, as in most places, rent often reflects the desirability of the area. I wouldn't rent any place until you have had a chance to drive around the neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,318 times
Mud Island is walkable (in theory) to St. Jude. Granted, I'm not sure who wants to walk to work in dress clothes in the summer heat, but you could walk, or easily ride a bike to work. In the car it would be a couple minutes. There are a large number of St. Jude employees who live there. The only issue with living on the island is if you have children who would need public or private schools, but if it's just adults that would not be an issue.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,664 times
Hi,
I am new to this place.Please tell me does any Indian run beauty parlour in Bailey Creek Appartments.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 PM
K4U

2 posts, read 3,658 times
Default Indians in Memphis

Hi,
I am moving from Philadelphia to Memphis. I am looking for good middle school for my kids. Please advise me the best areas to rent where there are Indian families I can meet and good school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis