U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 PM

232 posts, read 582,385 times
I live in Lakeland, what does Memphis have to do with me. I live in the county, not Memphis.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM

550 posts, read 158,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Well, in that case wouldn't it be 1 Shelby County?
So we're changing the city's name to Shelby County now??

Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 PM

93 posts, read 195,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
So we're changing the city's name to Shelby County now??
Then we would have to call Germantown, collierville and Cordova Shelby county also. One big happy family! Shelbly County, TN. University of Shelby County

Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM

369 posts, read 689,624 times
I got to talk to my relative who teaches at Riverdale. I asked how she felt about the whole MCS vote and possible consolidation. She definitely didn't like it, mainly b/c of the extra work. Said that a special Shelby County School district probably won't happen b/c it couldn't be made into law in time. I asked her how it would change the way city and county schools operate. Said that districting would be changed and be more neighborhood focused. Some county schools on the edge of the city would get a few city school kids. But outer areas(like Arlington) would probably see little effect. I think she said the optional program that city runs would end b/c the county doesn't do that, and with it falling under county control they would have to go by county rules. I think what you'll see is one mega district that is broken down into 5 or 6 smaller districts that would resemble what the old system used to look like but it would just be under the control of the county.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM

46 posts, read 69,751 times
Its so sad that the city of memphis always tries run and burden the county with their problems. Thats why people have run to the county to escape the garbage politics. They will have the same issues again in the mean time people will continue to leave the county for areas like fayette.

where the disorganized goverment cant reach them memphis is done and shelby county as a whole is doomed, get out while you can get out, all of shebly county will be one big hickory hood in the next 15 years.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 AM

833 posts, read 1,137,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphiz View Post
Its so sad that the city of memphis always tries run and burden the county with their problems. Thats why people have run to the county to escape the garbage politics. They will have the same issues again in the mean time people will continue to leave the county for areas like fayette.

where the disorganized goverment cant reach them memphis is done and shelby county as a whole is doomed, get out while you can get out, all of shebly county will be one big hickory hood in the next 15 years.
You post is a major over reaction; the kind of over reaction that led to the demise of Hickory Hill.

This charted surrender has nothing to do with annexation or government control. It is a power play spawned by the SCS desire to separate themselves from the children in the rest of Shelby county (i.e. the City of Memphis). If the MCS board had not voted to surrender the charter you would see SCS with a special school district. This would freeze all current boundaries and keep Memphis children from utilizing the tax revenue from the suburbs. The suburbs currently contribute a little less that half of the current Shelby County tax revenue. This would create a stystem where Memphians would have to fund 2/3 the students on half the revenue and the suburbs would get to fund 1/3 of the students on half the revenue. That is not equitable. Taxes in Memphis would skyrocket (they are already high), making the city even more undesirable. You would eventually see most of the wealth in the county move away from the city, to avoid the even higher taxes. The new SC Special School district would be a wealthy system since most of the wealth and property value would eventually lie in their boundaries. The MCS would become a major burden to Memphis taxpayers since the system would eventually have twice the students and half the wealth. This surrender will have little effect on the current SC schools. The same students will be attending the same schools. The only thing that will make this surrender a bad thing is people overreacting like you are doing and leaving the county without really looking at the facts. Anybody that is going to move to Fayette County for the schools is silly. Their schools are worse than MCS. Hickory Hill is what it is because people left in droves, not totally because of Memphis involvement. If most of the people that lived in Hickory Hill prior to the annexation would have stayed, the area would be fine. The same holds true for the county. If people leave their great environments in Bartlett, Arlington, Lakeland, Germantown and Collierville because of a MCS charter surrender that will only affect them minimally, there will be problems. However, I really do not see this happening; especially in this economy.

This surrender intrigues me because I think MCS needs a complete overhaul. This overhaul would never come if things stayed the way they were. I think what you will end up seeing is Memphis voters approving the surrender, creating one unified county school system. The suburban towns will continue to push for Special School District status and investigate the option of having their own separate school systems. This will probably raise their taxes, since they will still have to help fund the unified school district, but I am sure they do not mind. They will have the double school taxation burden that Memphis taxpayers currently have where they pay their county taxes to fund education and then a portion of their city taxes will go to fund their new town school system. Hopefully the new unified county school system will be broken up into 3 or 4 smaller districts with single source funding and separate superintendents. If you want to be mad at someone for this, be mad at the SC school board for starting this mess. MCS was basically pushed into a corner.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM

630 posts, read 868,774 times
State elections chief: City Council must OK school charter referendum

"The state's elections chief says the Memphis City Council must also approve a resolution to surrender the Memphis City Schools charter before a voter referendum on the issue can be scheduled.

Goins said his office's legal research on the issue found that a 1961 statute requires approval by the "Board of Commissioners of the City of Memphis," apparently the City Council."

State elections chief: City Council must OK school charter referendum The Commercial Appeal

Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 AM

833 posts, read 1,137,404 times
This will give SCS time to push through their special school district legislation. We will now see if they were serious about waiting and negotiating or just lying. I think they were lying and will move ahead with their plans. Some people were mad at the MCS school board for not trusting SCS and waiting, but we are about to see why they did not.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,169,401 times
They should shut them all down

Give all 90,000+ students/parent/gaurdian a $5,000 voucher to attend a private school

This totals $450,000,000. This is half of the current administrations yearly budget

Whats wrong with my plan

Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 PM

340 posts, read 750,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
They should shut them all down

Give all 90,000+ students/parent/gaurdian a $5,000 voucher to attend a private school

This totals $450,000,000. This is half of the current administrations yearly budget

Whats wrong with my plan
I would guess there are closer to 180,000 school age children in Shelby County. You could give them each (including those already in private school or home schooled) $7500 for vouchers and come pretty close to what the budget for both systems is now. It would make better sense to have a graduated scale based on income so that the neediest got more and the more wealthy got less so that most of the private schools would be financially feasible for everyone. You'd have parents able to make choices that best fit the needs and abilities of their children and I'd bet the overall academic achievent in the county would increase.

What's wrong with the plan? Teacher's unions will never allow it to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis