U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2011, 03:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,579 times
Default What Is Good And What Is Bad:

Hello all new to the site I'm am currently making a move to Memphis I would like to know the good places to move and the bad places to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:30 PM

630 posts, read 867,319 times
I would say checkout the first post of the sticky thread at the top of the Memphis forum, "Map of Memphis Neighborhoods", but it looks like it lost the color coding.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 01-04-2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Thx, checked it out already and found it very informative I guess I want a in-depth look from people who live their....on the goods and bad. Also weather, the 'racial thing' crime and safety. Me and my mother are looking for a nice Apt. or Condo somewhere in the 650 thru 1000 range. I viewed some pics of Mud Island it seems nice enough. Also Cordova not sure on job situations so this does not matter. Just want some nice recommendations.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,559,783 times
I'd suggest going through all the posts on this forum, as these topics are discussed in almost every thread. You'll find a ton of information that way.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Yeah I've been going thru it I just thought I'd make a thread to get more people to come out of the wood works. They did.....and it's going pretty well none of the questions are answered. Maybe this is the welcome spriit of Memphis honestly I feel at home already. Kidding.....all jokes aside if anyone, I mean could anyone could just answer the question I'd be happy. I'm currently relocating and taking a trip down to see what Memphis has to offer. I've heard good things about Midtown, Germantown, Bartlett and Cordova. I have done research this is me continuing.

So for now on just answers to my question will be nice. Thxs for the suggestion to check out the rest of the website and telling me I'll find tons of information. I already know this as i'm doing it but if anyone can answer my question I will highly appreciate it. I extended what I'm looking for in my 2nd post.

Weather.
Good And Bad Places To Live and why.

For instance Coro Lake is marked in the red....why? I have no clue I don't know anything about Memphis I come from St. Louis Mo

Note: This friday I will personally visit every single place on that map, just wanted some hindsight thats all. Forum life is nothing new I just wanna know what I'm getting into when I relocate.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM

10,676 posts, read 8,093,455 times
OK Sherlock. Here is what one resident recently said about Coro Lake:

"Well, the Whitehaven/ Coro Lake area will get you different opinions from different people. The area is predominately black and for whatever reason some people view that as a negative. I personally think the Whitehaven area is fine. In my line of work I have to work in all areas of the city and every time I work in Whitehaven I leave wondering, "Why do people say bad things about this area". The area is full of mostly middle class black people who own and maintain their property and care about their community. The neighborhoods in the area were very nicely developed with rolling hills, large lots, quality built houses that have held up well over time, and beautiful mature trees. Crime in the area is way overblown. You will hear about crime in the Whitehaven area, but most of it is near the apartments in the area (as it is in most parts of Memphis). All of the single family areas I have seen in the area are safe and stable. I personally have family and friends who live in the 38109 and 38116 zip code and they have had no problems with crime. They both also got great deals on their homes (One lives in very large estate size homes near Holmes Rd and Horn Lake Rd. The other in a very nice estate size home near Graceland) since real estate in the Whitehaven area is very affordable. The Whitehaven area used to be a posh suburban area in the 60's and 70's, but middle class flight took its toll in the 80's and 90's. The area really went down during this time period, but now it is going through a revitalization with new residential and commercial development. Would I recommend the area to someone from out of town and not really comfortable living around black people, probably not, and I mean nothing racial by that. It would be a culture shock to someone from Boise Idaho to move to Whitehaven (lets be honest here, it is what it is), but if you do not have a problem with that you can probably get a really good deal on a house if you are looking to buy. Personally, I would check out the map of Memphis neighborhoods if you want to live in the actual City of Memphis. A poster did a great job creating a map that is color coded showing good and not so good neighborhoods."

Pearlbob is not trying to blow you off. "What's good and what's bad" really has been covered many times in many ways on this forum. If you open up the general "Memphis" forum and go to the "Search this forum" field on the right side of the page, you can search specific neighborhoods or even general phrases like "Worst areas of Memphis," and it will pull up every relevant thread on any topic.
The forum will do the work for you. It really is better.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM

4,945 posts, read 5,957,381 times
Since the poster that made the map was a Memphis resident, and since s/he had a lot of suggestions from the rest of us when it was made it's about as good as it gets for an overview of all the good and bad areas here.
What makes an area bad in Memphis are the same things that make n'hoods in any city bad, high crime, poverty, run down businesses and housing. Good areas are more stable, less crime, nicer looking n'hoods, etc.

Your questions are just too vague and not likely to get very good answers. For instance that map has 65 different n'hoods listed. I don't really think anyone has the time to sit and give you a run down on every one of them.

You added more details in your second and third posts so maybe that will be enough info for someone to suggest some areas for you. Or if you want to know a little more about a few certain areas just name them and somebody would probably be happy to answer specific questions you have.

Same with asking about weather, you can go here History : Weather Underground and get all kinds of info, but what do you really want to know? I'd probably tell you Memphis weather sucks at least nine months of the year, and somebody else might tell you it's great. Do you want to know if it's too hot and muggy for you in the summer? Are you looking for a comparison to STL weather? Better questions will usually get you better answers.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,164,920 times
Good Things: BBQ, Music Scene, Trees, Clean Air, Low Cost of Living (for now), Strong Volunteerisum, Mediocore NBA Team, Pretty Women

Bad Things: Reverse Racism, Over the Top Taxes, Constant Bickering and Corruption Among Gov't Officials, Mediocore NBA Team, Bad Drivers

Welcome to Memphis Sherlock Holmes

Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Thx all and yes I've utilized the search button a couple times I also DO NOT want 65 neighborhoods in all their pleasant and gory details. You kinda nailed it on the head, me personally I just want to know where I'm going before I get there. The map will definitely be by me as I scout out all the green spots. Weather wise is this the I hate going outside weather? it's muggy and hard to breathe? Crimes not really worried about but when I do go thru this site I notice racism pop up. My question on that would be how....black and white? New York back street muggings? What the hell are you looking at? people staring I've heard crime wise it's nothing but petty crime. Sounds like the United States to me, I just wanna get a feel for the city. And where there 'any' recommended Apts/Condo between the 700-1000 range.

Also I've literally laughed my ass off on here so any negativity you feel you further need to shine on Memphis please do so. I want to hear the bad.....a little more then the good actually if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis