Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 62,625 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Memphis at the beginning of August to start law school and have heard both pros and cons of living in Midtown. I have looked at apartments in the eastern suburbs but for the price and drive time to school I like the Midtown area. There is a newly renovated apartment on Madion Ave that seems promising but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how safe that area will be for me to live alone. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM

100 posts, read 483,831 times
There are parts of Madison that are very safe, if you use good sense and be very aware of your surroundings, other parts of Madison are not safe at all.
If you're from a "safe" area you should force yourself to recognize risk, because it is there.
The "background" level of danger is sometimes too much for people not accustomed to it.
I have worked with a lady from the Knoxville area, who couldn't adjust to having to be somewhat fearful all the time.

That said, the "good" parts of Madison can present a very comfortable liefstyle.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM

The apartment is at 1512 Madison..would you consider that in the "safe" part? I realize that I will have to be aware of my surroundings while Im in Memphis, but dont want to move somewhere that is going to be one of the more dangerous areas.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,288,773 times
That's a very iffy place, imo.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM

My preferrence would be something with a much higher street number.
Good Luck!
I believe the advantage(or disadvantage) is that it looks like it is very close to the P+H!

O yes, EVERYTHING in Midtown has been renovated, however it could have been in 1935! Be cautious!

Last edited by tomterr; 07-16-2007 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 PM

thanks..Im getting more frustrated the longer I look and quickly running out of time. I am willing to pay up to about $750 a month. Does anyone have any suggestions in the midtown area? Obviously, location in concern to safety is my biggest concern and Im struggling to find anything.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Memphis Flyer

Have you tried the Memphis Flyer website?
The section called Flyer Market has large numbers of Midtown rentals.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM

232 posts, read 792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomterr View Post
My preferrence would be something with a much higher street number.
Good Luck!
I believe the advantage(or disadvantage) is that it looks like it is very close to the P+H!

O yes, EVERYTHING in Midtown has been renovated, however it could have been in 1935! Be cautious!
some of those apartments near the P&H are really nice, but there are some apartments right next to it that just look nasty. i have a friend that stays there and he has never had any problems with crime, but there are lots of vagrants that crash the night behind in the alley. until recently, there was no door to the stair well and people use to use the bathroom in there. now, the door is locked at all times and only tenants have keys.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,725 times
See memphis, TN apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist ...and try to stay east of Poplar and Cleveland. To me the closer you get to Cleveland street the worse things get. Just my opinion...

Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,288,773 times
For $750, you could move to one of the Midtown Place buildings on Poplar across from Overton Park. Those are old three and four story buildings that have big courtyards in front. Lots of U of M and Memphis College of Art students live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis