Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM

25 posts, read 58,407 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're looking to move to the Memphis area in June 2011. Married, two kids (freshman high school Fall 2011 and 3rd grader), dogs and cats. We are thinking we might rent but with the economy and houses so much better than Michigan, we may purchase. We're looking for a good neighborhood, private schools for the kids (both are in Catholic school in Michigan) and an area that's not a too far commute from St. Jude Children's Hospital.

Let me know what you can. Our price range for a purchase is nothing over $180k and rent nothing over $1500/month but we'd need pets to be okay with the rent. Thanks in advance for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Since you already plan on putting your kids in private school, then you basically have your choice of housing anywhere (within price limits of course). The commute from any part of Memphis to the other is relatively short compared to most cities, although I'm not sure what you are used to in Michigan (Detroit?). For $180k you could probably get a nice home in the suburb of Bartlett, or a nice home in east Memphis, or midtown even. It depends on if you want suburban living or not. Property taxes will be more expensive within Memphis city limits, but they are still very cheap compared to most bigger cities.

Mud Island is a suburban feeling secluded area practically within walking distance of St. Jude. Many employees live there, doctors, nurses, etc. There are expensive homes, but some cheaper ones. Like zero lot line houses. People rent homes there as well. I'll see if I can find some links for you, just to see an example.

I always suggest renting first when you come here. I don't think the housing market will improve much over a course of a year, so housing prices won't be exceptionally more expensive in 2012 if you decide to rent for a year.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM

And here's a list of Catholic schools - I have no idea which are supposed to be best though.

Catholic Schools (http://www.cdom.org/folders/schools/pages/catholicschools/schoolsdirectory.htm - broken link)

Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks Pearlbob...I'll check into the links. Any ideas which schools would be better for football for high school?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:40 PM

We live in Ann Arbor Michigan and would like something more suburban so we don't have to drive 20 minutes to get to anything to do or see or shop. We are mainly concerned with the schools and neighborhoods for our kids. Everything else is pretty much a moot point. It's all about the kids. Been in Michigan for 17 years and looking forward to a new change and have a hs son that is excelling in football and need good/competitive football programs as well. Daughter is in travel soccer up here (very competitive) and would love to continue in TN.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Most of the suburbs are 20 min to St. Jude, but not during rush hour. So it depends on when you plan on driving to and from downtown.

If you want football and a catholic boy's high, my first suggestion is Christian Brothers. I know nothing about high school sports, but I'm pretty sure they are routinely one of the top football programs out there. It is located in a very good area of town. There are also a lot of private schools out that way in east Memphis, on Walnut Grove - not sure about specifically catholic girls though.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
^ there's a Catholic girl's high school (and coed elementary/middle school) down the street from Christian Brothers, on Walnut Grove. It's St. Agnes. I think that part of town would be perfect. There's also a large & active Catholic church in that area called St. Louis, and Holy Rosary isn't far away either.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:04 PM

@Smtchll, thanks for the heads up on the elementary for my daughter. Good stuff. We found CBHS and love it for our son...now to find a house that's nearby(ish) and school for the girl!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:19 AM

107 posts, read 312,645 times
You should be able to find something in your price range in the area. If you don't have an agent, trulia.com is a pretty good resource. The zip codes along walnut grove moving westward from CBHS are 38120, 38117, and 38111.

For rentals (home or condo) you could search advertisements in the local paper:
Rental Property Listings :: Memphis TN Homes :: Real Estate, Rentals, MLS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: