Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 03:51 PM

19 posts, read 27,982 times

Advertisements

Thinking about leaving Michigan and relocating to either Nashville or Memphis. I would like to know the highs and lows of each city, for a Middle-aged female entrepreneur, wanting to start over. My interest are, Bowling (league), Cosmetology & Music.(Live entertainment) Good, Mature, night life! Certified & qualified in some medical, and other areas, if all else fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,750 times
I would say Midtown, but with your interests I would say East memphis.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM

19 posts, read 27,982 times
Could you please elaborate a little more? I've never been to Memphis, so I have no clue about either area. What is the difference between the two?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
East Memphis: more upscale, more families, socially moderate, lots of restaurants, semi-suburban but with character. Very safe, far from sketchy areas for the most part. Not much night-life, but if you like going out to eat a lot, it's a good place.

Midtown: not as upscale but lots of parts are, more single people, socially liberal, lots of restaurants, bars, walkable areas, urban, lots of character. Generally safe but closer to sketchy areas. Good for night life, but downtown is better for that IMO. It's pretty closeby

Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,441 times
Memphis would welcome you!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM

738 posts, read 2,574,862 times
I would choose Nashville over Memphis any day, unless your job opportunities are better here in Memphis.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 15,095 times
Come to Memphis.. Nashville looks more legit on paper, but Memphis has just as many nice spots and also has more "Real" people IMO. However, your opinion might differ from mine.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,501 times
Default What about a smaller city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _weisenheist View Post
skip Memphis, Nashville is more progressive, and by some measures, a more educated citizenry....a bit more responsive government, less overt preoccupation with race, a bit less racist, better food variety, less parochial thinking, Further Away from MISSISSIPPI bleed-over, has an NFL team, huge diverse music industry, a competitive airline service/connections, less crime according to FBI, and many other tangible and intangible differences

you may want to consider other cities as well....Raleigh, Austin, TX, Huntsville, AL, Charlotte, Asheville, and even several cities in FL/AZ because of the huge decrease in home values.

the south is quite a diverse place to consider, do your homework, talk to people living in Nashville who have also lived in Memphis, and ask them for theri opinions ! I've lived in both, and they share only a bit in common..

Memphis (or Nashville) should not be your only targets for consideration if you're moving from Michigan, but given the two, you will experience less 'shock' moving to Nashville in my sole opinion based on having lived in both..but heck I would choose Raleigh over both of them

Right on the mark. Just wondering what your opinion of Chattanooga is. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bostons View Post
Right on the mark. Just wondering what your opinion of Chattanooga is. Thanks.
Chattanooga is one of the best cities in the country. But, Memphis over Nashville any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis