U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM

46 posts, read 61,439 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Memphis, and I found this article really helpful in understanding how MCS got to the state it's in...and how private schools came to be so popular here.

Memphis Magazine: Tragedy of Busing Revisited

Memphis Magazine: Features: Web Exclusive: The Battering Ram (http://www.memphismagazine.com/gyrobase/Magazine/Content?oid=oid%3A2644871 - broken link)

Suzanne
East Memphis Moms
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM

840 posts, read 1,251,921 times
Great article; thanks for the link.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 AM

630 posts, read 941,119 times
Yes, really informative. At first, I thought that I would be voting "Yes" just to get rid of MCS, but as things have unraveled I found myself wanting to protect SCS as it stands now to have a public school system in this county that relocating businesses' workers would feel comfortable sending their children to. Although, I must admit I still have some reservations about casting a "No" this evening. I understand that busing will not be an issue, but redistricting will be an issue. Also, I thought the Norris-bill would only give the right to create MSDs, but with language as of late it looks as if the suburbs might band together for a unified SSD instead. I also have a strong feeling that a lot of the MCS schools are about to be taken over by the State of TN. Still feeling a little bit "on the fence" about it, but it seems with polls, etc. that the surrender referendum will pass tonight. I wish the Memphis City Council would just erase MCS as it is and start over with the framework for an entirely new MCS. This whole thing seems to be a huge waste of money accomplishing nothing. Also, tonight is just the beginning. This thing is far, far from over. Tonights referendum will be the flashpoint of a political movement that will change the face of public education in Tennessee as a whole. All eyes on Big Shelby tonight.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Yes, really informative. At first, I thought that I would be voting "Yes" just to get rid of MCS, but as things have unraveled I found myself wanting to protect SCS as it stands now to have a public school system in this county that relocating businesses' workers would feel comfortable sending their children to. Although, I must admit I still have some reservations about casting a "No" this evening. I understand that busing will not be an issue, but redistricting will be an issue. Also, I thought the Norris-bill would only give the right to create MSDs, but with language as of late it looks as if the suburbs might band together for a unified SSD instead. I also have a strong feeling that a lot of the MCS schools are about to be taken over by the State of TN. Still feeling a little bit "on the fence" about it, but it seems with polls, etc. that the surrender referendum will pass tonight. I wish the Memphis City Council would just erase MCS as it is and start over with the framework for an entirely new MCS. This whole thing seems to be a huge waste of money accomplishing nothing. Also, tonight is just the beginning. This thing is far, far from over. Tonights referendum will be the flashpoint of a political movement that will change the face of public education in Tennessee as a whole. All eyes on Big Shelby tonight.

The referendum passed VERY easily. I thought the vote would be closer. The turn out was blah like always, but those that voted supported surrender by a 2 to 1 margin. You are correct, this is just the beginning.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM

4,679 posts, read 5,092,988 times
Now that Shelby County schools have to absorb the Memphis City Schools, Do you think all of the schools will now turn into basically what amounted to Memphis City Schools ?

Do you think residents in Germantown and Collierville will try again to secede from Shelby County ?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,162,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Now that Shelby County schools have to absorb the Memphis City Schools, Do you think all of the schools will now turn into basically what amounted to Memphis City Schools ?

Do you think residents in Germantown and Collierville will try again to secede from Shelby County ?
I don't think that there is any question that all schools will become worse. There will be the inevitable flight to private schools and to other counties, both scenarios will put more negative pressure on area Real Estate. What has happened is a disaster for Memphis and Shelby Country, a disaster that has been long in the making, and a disaster of decades of failed social policies.

Did anyone else see the YouTube of the animal like riot at Kirby High School? The schools have become war zones and the parents that have the wherewithall and those who care about their children will sacrifice to keep their kids out of this sort of situation.

I really don't see any good coming out of this at all. It's a failure on so many levels, of parenting, of political leadership and responsibility, it's just going to be the nail in the coffin for the Memphis area. Again, I'm so glad that I'm gone from this insanity.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM

4,679 posts, read 5,092,988 times
I read that only people in the Memphis city limits were allowed to vote on this issue ?

I think it's really messed up that this affects Shelby County as a whole but only residents of the city of Memphis were allowed to vote. I can't help but think the voters in Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, ect wouldn't allow it..

Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:

A law was passed in the state legislature that calls for a 2.5 year transition period. At the end of this period the suburban towns like Collierville and Germantown will be allowed to create their own municipal school districts if they choose to. I think you will see the larger and more affluent suburban cities create their own school systems.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I don't think that there is any question that all schools will become worse. There will be the inevitable flight to private schools and to other counties, both scenarios will put more negative pressure on area Real Estate. What has happened is a disaster for Memphis and Shelby Country, a disaster that has been long in the making, and a disaster of decades of failed social policies.

Did anyone else see the YouTube of the animal like riot at Kirby High School? The schools have become war zones and the parents that have the wherewithall and those who care about their children will sacrifice to keep their kids out of this sort of situation.

I really don't see any good coming out of this at all. It's a failure on so many levels, of parenting, of political leadership and responsibility, it's just going to be the nail in the coffin for the Memphis area. Again, I'm so glad that I'm gone from this insanity.

The school is a reflection of the community. Schools like Kirby are war zones because the community they represent are riddled with crime, poverty, and bad parenting. This merger will not change this. However, good schools like several in the city limits and those in the county will continue to be good schools because of the community and the parents that those schools represent. School leadership is given way to much credit (good and bad) for what happens in the schools. If the parents are active in the school and make sure their children behave themselves and try their best, the school will be successful; regardless of the school systems leadership. There are too many examples of good schools in Memphis for me to believe that any school under the Memphis leadership is doomed to fail. As long as people in the suburbs stay just as active as they are now in their child's education, this will not have a negative impact on their schools.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I read that only people in the Memphis city limits were allowed to vote on this issue ?

I think it's really messed up that this affects Shelby County as a whole but only residents of the city of Memphis were allowed to vote. I can't help but think the voters in Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, ect wouldn't allow it..
Memphis residents were the only people allowed to vote because they were the people who were giving up their school system. Allowing other county residents to vote would be silly. It would be like giving Memphians the right to vote for Germantown's mayor. I understand the impact is different since Memphis makes up such a huge chunck of the county, but the logic remains. Memphis citizens have the right to determine if they want a school system or not. They, rightfully so, were allowed to vote on this issue without giving the suburban residents veto power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis