Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times

Advertisements

Oh definitely not. If I was going to move out of the city, I wouldn't mind Cordova (any moreso than the other suburbs)

It just depends on the person, but I would hate for someone new to Memphis to get a house there, thinking they are home-free out of the city, not know any different, and then a year later their neighborhood is annexed.

Seems like years ago, people moved to cordova to get out of Memphis, and now memphis is chasing them down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:56 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Memphis needs the tax revenue.

People looking to move should become intimately familiar with the Shelby County growth plan, which was mandated by the State. The growth plan map shows the exact boundaries for each municipality's reserve area, meaning the portion of the county where each municipality can annex. Municipalities are not allowed to cross into another's reserve. Memphis still has a considerable reserve area that includes areas of the county north of Arlington (!), west of Millington all the way to the Tipton County line, and east of Cordova all the way to the Fayette County line.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 35,258 times
pomartini,
The area is South of Walnut Grove near Sanga Rd. The children go to Germantown schools. From what I have heard from someone that lives there is that they will be annexed in 2011. I'm just hoping that once that happens the same concerned parents will not decide to leave all at once. Despite learning that annexation is imminent, I think that there is so much in Cordova to offer that it will still be a great value for homeowners. Also, do you know where I can find details about the water-park? The baseball fields there are excellent, and the Memphis area has really needed a good waterpark since the loss of Adventure River and Libertyland. Thanks for all the responses!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Question: how can the students attend Germantown schools if they do not live in Germantown? Is there some sort of loophole with it?

Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 35,258 times
There is no loophole. They are a part of Shelby County Schools, and Riverdale and Houston High are the closest county schools.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:57 PM

Oh oh oh. I was thinking you were talking about an annexed area of Cordova...sorry. It's Friday.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
There are some areas where annexed residents continue to attend county schools.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:43 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Here's the funny part - some people NOT in the City of Memphis are still zoned to Memphis City Schools.

For instance, Kate Bond Elementary, an MCS school, is in unincorporated Shelby County. Kate Bond-zoned residents are also zoned to Cordova MS (Memphis) and Cordova HS (Unincorporated).

Some unincorporated Shelby County residents are zoned to Shelby County schools until grade 8, and then are zoned to Memphis City Schools for 9th grade.

The following Shelby schools feed into Cordova HS:
* Chimneyrock ES
* Dexter ES (partial)
* Macon-Hall ES (partial)
* Dexter MS (partial)
* Mt. Pisgah MS (partial)

Now, the reason for the "partials" is because Shelby County rezoned some of these areas for high school.

Many houses zoned to Dexter ES and Dexter MS are zoned to Bartlett High School (SCS) for 9th grade instead of Cordova; 10-12, from what I can tell, will be phased in.

Some houses zoned to Macon-Hill ES and Mt. Pisgah MS were reassigned to Arlington High School (SCS) for 9th grade instead of Cordova; 10-12, from what I can tell, will be phased in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
There are some areas where annexed residents continue to attend county schools.
I thought it was the other way around - Even schools in un-annexed areas are MCS - I.e. Cordova HS is not in Memphis but is MCS. Kate Bond ES is not in Memphis but it is MCS.

NOTE: If anyone is moving to the Cordova area, he or she should use these locators to determine his or her assigned schools:
* Memphis: PLAN Edulog's Web Query (http://webquery.mcsk12.net/plan/webquery/WebQuery.jsp - broken link)
* Shelby County: Check School Attendance Zone (http://filemaker.scsk12.org/zone/search.php - broken link)

Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4msu View Post
pomartini,
The area is South of Walnut Grove near Sanga Rd. The children go to Germantown schools. From what I have heard from someone that lives there is that they will be annexed in 2011. I'm just hoping that once that happens the same concerned parents will not decide to leave all at once. Despite learning that annexation is imminent, I think that there is so much in Cordova to offer that it will still be a great value for homeowners. Also, do you know where I can find details about the water-park? The baseball fields there are excellent, and the Memphis area has really needed a good waterpark since the loss of Adventure River and Libertyland. Thanks for all the responses!
I personally think that area is stable. I lived very near there - just on the annexed side. I do not think the parents will leave. If anything, I would think an upward trend to private schools would develop in that area if the kids get rezoned out of Riverdale. BTW, this area is an excellent area for easy access to all major private schools. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was the opinion of my realtor, my buyer's realtor, as well as other folks that the flight of Cordova will stablize. As the "subs" continue to push towards Arlington, Eads, etc., the southern portion of Cordova will more be considered east Memphis. In fact, my house was listed as East Memphis - not Cordova.

I read about the Water Park several weeks ago in the CA. I am sorry I don't have a link.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:41 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
The Riverdale School (K-8) is in the City of Germantown. Memphis City Schools will never control the school.

However, the area which you mention could get its own school to itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
I personally think that area is stable. I lived very near there - just on the annexed side. I do not think the parents will leave. If anything, I would think an upward trend to private schools would develop in that area if the kids get rezoned out of Riverdale. BTW, this area is an excellent area for easy access to all major private schools. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was the opinion of my realtor, my buyer's realtor, as well as other folks that the flight of Cordova will stablize. As the "subs" continue to push towards Arlington, Eads, etc., the southern portion of Cordova will more be considered east Memphis. In fact, my house was listed as East Memphis - not Cordova.

I read about the Water Park several weeks ago in the CA. I am sorry I don't have a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis