Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 10,206 times

Advertisements

My family and are I relocating to Memphis in the next few months for my husband's job. I've visited Memphis once, but my husband is there every month for work. Based on our research, we think that Midtown would be the best place for us to live. Specifically we're interested in Central Gardens, but that will depend on whether we can find the right house there for our budget. We've been living in relatively urban areas in older homes for the past 12 years, so I think that this area would be a good fit for us. I've been searching the forums and found a lot of good information, but I had a few other questions. First, I've found a lot of information about private elementary/middle schools for our son, but I'm not clear on what high schools are in the area. I know that we'd have to go private for high school, but I'm wondering where people send their children. Also, do you have to go outside of Midtown to find ammenties like grocery stores and other shopping? (The second question isn't really a big deal, but I'm just curious.) Finally, I work in higher education and am looking at jobs at U of M. What would the commute be like from Midtown to the university? Is that considered a reverse commute?

I've read a lot of the criticism of Memphis on the forum, but we're excited about our move. We moved from Chicago to San Antonio a few years ago, and we definitely learned that your city is all about what you make of it.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,747,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATtoMEM View Post
My family and are I relocating to Memphis in the next few months for my husband's job. I've visited Memphis once, but my husband is there every month for work. Based on our research, we think that Midtown would be the best place for us to live. Specifically we're interested in Central Gardens, but that will depend on whether we can find the right house there for our budget. We've been living in relatively urban areas in older homes for the past 12 years, so I think that this area would be a good fit for us. I've been searching the forums and found a lot of good information, but I had a few other questions. First, I've found a lot of information about private elementary/middle schools for our son, but I'm not clear on what high schools are in the area. I know that we'd have to go private for high school, but I'm wondering where people send their children. Also, do you have to go outside of Midtown to find ammenties like grocery stores and other shopping? (The second question isn't really a big deal, but I'm just curious.) Finally, I work in higher education and am looking at jobs at U of M. What would the commute be like from Midtown to the university? Is that considered a reverse commute?

I've read a lot of the criticism of Memphis on the forum, but we're excited about our move. We moved from Chicago to San Antonio a few years ago, and we definitely learned that your city is all about what you make of it.

Thanks for your help!
I lived in Central Gardens when I lived in Memphis. I was on Peabody which is one of my favorite streets in Memphis. Belvedere is another, and so is Central. And McLean. And those all happen to be in Central Gardens.

The commute from Central Gardens to the U of M is a breeze. Central Ave will take you directly from Central Gardens to the heart of the university, and it's a very easy, very beautiful drive. It's almost exclusively a residential artery so there's not really that much traffic on it.

The independent high schools that seemed to be popular with my neighbors were MUS (boys), Hutchison (girls), St Mary's (girls), St Agnes (girls), St Dominic's (boys), and Christian Brothers (boys). All are in East Memphis, but really the drive from Midtown to East Memphis is a breeze.

I'm a Midtown purist, so to me Midtown stops at East Parkway. In Midtown there's a Schnuck's supermarket which is small but good. It's within easy walking distance of most of Central Gardens. There's also a Kroger, but it's in a pretty questionable part of Midtown; I wouldn't go there after dark. There's a Home Depot in Midtown, too, just a couple of minutes from Central Gardens. For other things there's a Target just on the other side of the university, maybe a 10 minute (at most) drive from Central Gardens, depending on how many traffic lights you hit. Oak Court Mall is also nearby (around the corner from Target) and has a Dillard's and Macy's with a Sears across the street.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,206 times
Thanks so much for the great feedback, JMT. I did have another question that I'd love help with. Some of the houses that we're looking at are on the edges of Central Gardens (a few up near the Medical Center and some in the southeast corner). Are the areas okay in general? Keep in mind, we have a pretty high tolerance for petty crime, but violent crime is a different matter. I was mugged in Chicago walking in our neighborhood one morning and ended up in the ER. That's not something I ever want to relive, but I know that violence can happen anywhere. I just don't want to pick an area that will be dangerous with a young child.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,747,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATtoMEM View Post
Thanks so much for the great feedback, JMT. I did have another question that I'd love help with. Some of the houses that we're looking at are on the edges of Central Gardens (a few up near the Medical Center and some in the southeast corner). Are the areas okay in general? Keep in mind, we have a pretty high tolerance for petty crime, but violent crime is a different matter. I was mugged in Chicago walking in our neighborhood one morning and ended up in the ER. That's not something I ever want to relive, but I know that violence can happen anywhere. I just don't want to pick an area that will be dangerous with a young child.
If I had to choose, I'd choose the SE corner of Central Gardens. I haven't lived in Memphis in 8 years, but when I did live there, the area closer to the medical center was a bit too sketchy for my tastes.

Talking about this is bringing back a lot of fond memories. I lived in Memphis for 8 years and loved every minute of it. I hope you enjoy it, too!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
SATtoMEM - you will love midtown/Central Gardens and even more so, the UofM. It's a fantastic place to work and like the previous poster said, very convenient. If you are so inclined, it's a nice bikeride to/from work.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM

53 posts, read 121,559 times
You will love Midtown! I think Midtown is the best part of Memphis!!! When I lived in Memphis I lived in Central Gardens on Harbert Ave between Belvedere and Willet. If I didn't get my promotion in the FBI in Arizona, I still would be there! I loved it and everyone knew everybody! I NEVER had any problems. I still have my house and was going to sell it but decided to rent it out to a few friends of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: