Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,990 times

Advertisements

Our family (mom, dad, preschooler) are moving to Memphis for work this summer and anyone who wants to tell us what a horrible idea that is, well you can keep it to yourself. After two years of unemployment, we are thrilled to be moving someplace new and to have good, interesting jobs!

We will be working in the River Oaks area and would like to be close by for the first year, but obviously, not in the market for a mansion. We had initially thought we'd go for an apartment for a first year to try and save some money, but we've had a couple house rental opportunities come up, including one in Balmoral--that is the one area I didn't really get to see on my visit, any opinions on the area?

I've got a fair amount of experience with a wide range of environments and I always say if there are kids in the yards and grannies on the porches, that's where I want to be. But for this first year, mostly we're looking for relative safety, convenience and a place for our kid to play, whether that is a backyard or an apartment playground. Given the area, what is preferable? Gated apartment? Sublet condo? Rented house? Our target rent is in the $1000 range, for a 2-3 bedroom, but we're flexible. Since we're only looking at a year or two and not buying, issues like appreciation, schools, etc. are not relevant, but I want to avoid active gang/drug areas or sharply downward transitioning areas. We're in that kind of situation now and while we're dealing with it, I'd like to avoid these things in our next move.

Thanks for any advice--also interested in suggestions for fun family activities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 PM

845 posts, read 2,535,914 times
Balmoral is a pretty good area. You will want to stay away from the large apartment complexes between Kirby Pkwy and Riverdale, near Quince. These apartments have gone down hill over the last couple years due to the city tearing down the old projects and giving the former residents housing vouchers to move to new apartments all over the city. The apartments in the area I described above have seen a huge influx of lower class people, which has slightly increased crime in the SF neighborhoods adjacent to the complexes. Nothing violent or gang related, but an uptick in property crime. The rest of the Balmoral area is quite and peaceful. You may also want to check out the Sea Isle/Eastgate area and Colonial Acres. These neighborhoods are just to the west of Balmoral and are also pretty nice.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 AM

47 posts, read 115,922 times
I'm too new to Memphis to be of much help, but if you're on Facebook feel free to stop by and ask the 189 moms in this group....I'm confident they'll be able to help too (in case you want additional input)

https://www.facebook.com/EastMemphisMoms

Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM

73 posts, read 228,331 times
Depends on where you're from, I would not deliberately choose living on Memphis, but you do what you have to do.

Choose Germantown or Collierville and just drive down Poplar to River Oaks. Several apartments on Humphries and where GTown Road meets it.

Pick nothing south of Quince..period. It's in transition- even the apts over on Lynnfield are beginning to be questionable. Lots of areas in Memphis are becoming questionable- that just a few years ago were considered "nice"...therein lies an admonishment-

Stay away from the Hacks Cross area near Winchester as well...nothing south of Winchester/Hacks

Cordova is in decline in some areas as well, with tons of undesirables crusing around GTown Pkwy.

Kirby, north of Poplar has a few apts that are well-kept- Avoid Fountain square. Try looking for a townhouse rental just east of the Gtown USPostal facility and the police station- there arre several.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely check out that FB group!

Anongmous, this is a move for a job, probably not a forever move, but a great move for us right now, so we are making the best of it and going in with a positive mindset. Not everyone is so lucky as to have opportunities and choices these days and we are mindful of that.

Collierville seems too far to me, and too much like the awful suburbs I lived in in CO several years back. My impression might be wrong, but it seems pretty cookie-cutter mega-church style out there. Is there actually any local community or is it just developments?

The real estate agent who took me around after my interview (I told her I wasn't buying, but she graciously showed me around anyway) showed me things in Balmoral, Cordova, etc. that looked nice, am I missing something? Looking at the crime stats in the area, they still look comparable to Germantown and the upscale areas of East Memphis, but maybe that's changed significantly in the last year? When I talk about "transitioning" I'm thinking of our current home where there has been a heavy increase of tagging, major drug busts (meth houses and drug mills), violent B&E and drive-bys. If it's just lower income folks moving in, in my experience, that is not necessarily an issue as long as people are invested in their community--the bigger picture is high vacancy/turnover and resident apathy, imo.

If I can find something we can afford in Germantown we'll probably go that route, just because it is convenient to work. But what about the other side of the 240 loop--maybe near the University? What is that area like? Anything worth checking out there?

I really appreciate the feedback!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,301,557 times
Nyckmom --

Welcome to Memphis! It's my hometown and still my part-time home.

RE Cordova -- What you'll find in Memphis is a terrible attitude on the part of some folks who think that because African Americans move into a neighborhood, it automatically becomes a 'bad' neighborhood. Some folks just can't deal with diversity; it scares the hell out of them. Clearly, you are many rungs higher on the evolutionary ladder than these knuckle-draggers.

Spend some time driving through the various neighborhoods in Cordova. If you find something you like, go for it. Always keep in mind that if you're renting, and things don't work out, you can move. That's the beauty of renting. I don't like Germantown Parkway, but I love parts of Cordova. There are some very strong neighborhoods there, strong neighborhood associations and areas with a very strong sense of community.

We need more people like you. Welcome. And ignore the mouth-breathers. None of them live in the city anyway.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyckmom View Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely check out that FB group!

Anongmous, this is a move for a job, probably not a forever move, but a great move for us right now, so we are making the best of it and going in with a positive mindset. Not everyone is so lucky as to have opportunities and choices these days and we are mindful of that.

Collierville seems too far to me, and too much like the awful suburbs I lived in in CO several years back. My impression might be wrong, but it seems pretty cookie-cutter mega-church style out there. Is there actually any local community or is it just developments?

The real estate agent who took me around after my interview (I told her I wasn't buying, but she graciously showed me around anyway) showed me things in Balmoral, Cordova, etc. that looked nice, am I missing something? Looking at the crime stats in the area, they still look comparable to Germantown and the upscale areas of East Memphis, but maybe that's changed significantly in the last year? When I talk about "transitioning" I'm thinking of our current home where there has been a heavy increase of tagging, major drug busts (meth houses and drug mills), violent B&E and drive-bys. If it's just lower income folks moving in, in my experience, that is not necessarily an issue as long as people are invested in their community--the bigger picture is high vacancy/turnover and resident apathy, imo.

If I can find something we can afford in Germantown we'll probably go that route, just because it is convenient to work. But what about the other side of the 240 loop--maybe near the University? What is that area like? Anything worth checking out there?

I really appreciate the feedback!

You are coming in with a great attitude and I welcome you to the area. There are some very nice areas inside the City of Memphis and as you have researched, crime statistics in the areas you were shown (Balmoral, Cordova, etc.) are comparable to the suburbs. The crime in those areas has not changed significantly in the last year. These areas typically have pretty low crime and you would see nothing like what you talked about in your present neighborhood. The area around the University of Memphis is pretty nice as well. It starts getting a little rough as you get farther south and west of the University, but everything north of Park and East of Highland is fine.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM

469 posts, read 966,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
You are coming in with a great attitude and I welcome you to the area. There are some very nice areas inside the City of Memphis and as you have researched, crime statistics in the areas you were shown (Balmoral, Cordova, etc.) are comparable to the suburbs. The crime in those areas has not changed significantly in the last year. These areas typically have pretty low crime and you would see nothing like what you talked about in your present neighborhood. The area around the University of Memphis is pretty nice as well. It starts getting a little rough as you get farther south and west of the University, but everything north of Park and East of Highland is fine.
South of Park from just west of Estate on out east is great as well. Heavily wooded oak trees wall to wall, good community involvement and stable property values. Low crime.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
South of Park from just west of Estate on out east is great as well. Heavily wooded oak trees wall to wall, good community involvement and stable property values. Low crime.

I agree 100%. I was talking more about the areas directly adjacent to the University. I didn't want a new resident to end up in Orange Mound .

Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Okay, if anyone would like to weigh in, we're looking at some rentals in the neighborhood around Balmoral Elementary. Specifically Ridgeland, Sutherland, Ridgevale and Macleod, etc. all south of Southerland & the YMCA/Nature Center. Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis