Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,926 times

Advertisements

I'm a young, female student considering moving to Memphis for grad school. I'm also bisexual, and I'd like to try and figure out what the atmosphere is like in Memphis in regards to LGBT people.

Is there a LGBT community? Would it be a welcoming place for a bi, feminist, opinionated gal like myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Yes, definitely you will find many people here...

Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center

Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfax View Post
I'm a young, female student considering moving to Memphis for grad school. I'm also bisexual, and I'd like to try and figure out what the atmosphere is like in Memphis in regards to LGBT people.

Is there a LGBT community? Would it be a welcoming place for a bi, feminist, opinionated gal like myself?
There is a lot of religious based hatred and intolerance in Memphis. Welcome to the conservative South and good luck.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Memphians are not the most tollerant people you will ever meet. If you are different and opinionated, you will have a problem with the natives.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
Stick to Midtown and Downtown and you'll be fine.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 34,598 times
there is a strong, thriving, and growing ***** community in Memphis that is both political and fun-loving. It is definitely getting better for the LGBTQ community in Memphis, but there is a dark history here (particularly in regards to transpeople) that is difficult to overcome.

In my personal experience, I have been out for about 2 years here and have never encountered any problems kissing my girlfriend in public or been worried about sporting an HRC sticker on my car. You will come across the odd religious would-be proselytizer giving out pamphlets about the many ways people can go to hell, and there are a few very conservative Christian churches like Bellevue who openly support anti-gay politicians and rhetoric. This is troubling, but there is always a backlash from the LGBT community to counterbalance it.

There are a lot of events at the ***** Community Center (MGLCC) like Women's pot luck, ***** youth events, etc. that you might find enjoyable. There is also a mainly lesbian-centered bar called Dru’s Place, a new big nightclub with drag shows called Spectrum, and more gay-centered clubs like Metro for nightlife. Cooper-Young, Midtown, and some of Downtown are probably the friendliest areas for the LGBTQ community.

Overall- I recommend it. I’ve been very happy here and I’ve only seen the community getting stronger, bigger, and happier here.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Yes, definitely you will find many people here...

Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center
I just got through reading an article stating the MGLCC ^ was shuting down due to lack of funds

OP Midtown and Cordova seem to be the most populist areas I believe

It really doesn't matter where you choose to live though. Gay ppl are everywhere

Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,331 times
I've lived here a yr and a half now after living in south fl for many years. Being gay there seemed much easier. I'm sure there's a gay community here but I'm having a lot of trouble finding them.
Any advice?

Old 10-02-2011, 11:21 AM

49 posts, read 154,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfax View Post

Good luck with pursuing your Graduate studies.

Memphis has a small LGBT community. Please keep in mind that Memphis is a unique city in that it is the Bible Belt but with far more diversity than one might think at first glance. However, there are some "mega-churches" here which are not tolerant minded of the LGBT community at all and Bellevue Baptist church would be on the top of the list with that, you can learn more of it on the online version of "The Memphis Flyer."

Asides from all of that. Memphis is alright because ultimately it is a humble city. And so at the end of the day, when everything is said and done, an awfully fair amount of folks are far more busy trying to put food on the table than most anything.

Get in where you fit in with your schooling and then just join a LGBT club or organization at your school. That would be the easiest thing for you to do, really.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:13 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,576 times
Cooper Young lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis