Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times

Advertisements

I just flew out of Memphis yesterday and my boyfriend and I are convinced that Memphis drivers are WORSE THAN LOS ANGELES.....we saw so many infractions it was just plain terrible!!!! So many people running the red lights, talking on cell phones, texting and driving, moving across several lanes and not signaling, slow cars pulling out into oncoming traffic....

Poplar Avenue is scary for sure. I grew up in Memphis and remember dreading that street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 PM

128 posts, read 462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I just flew out of Memphis yesterday and my boyfriend and I are convinced that Memphis drivers are WORSE THAN LOS ANGELES.....we saw so many infractions it was just plain terrible!!!! So many people running the red lights, talking on cell phones, texting and driving, moving across several lanes and not signaling, slow cars pulling out into oncoming traffic....

Poplar Avenue is scary for sure. I grew up in Memphis and remember dreading that street!
After seeing people drive past two yellow flashing signs that said "No thru traffic" at the entrance to Mud Island and then look confused when the road was closed at the end, I've concluded Memphians are color blind to the color yellow. They don't see the flashing yellow signs. They never see the yellow of anyone's turn signal so they think they don't have to use it either.

Or if they use it, they'll use the turn signal at the last minute. Such as when you are behind someone in the left lane at a red light and then that driver gives the left turn signal only as the light turns green.

Talking/texting is apparently not illegal here. My car has bluetooth in it, so it syncs to cell phone. But even then, I limit my phone conversations when driving so as to avoid becoming distracted. If it seems like a call I don't have to answer right then and there, then I don't answer it. That's what voicemail is for. People survived before cell phones. I didn't have one until the year between college and medical school, when I started working. Even then I was borrowing my dad's. I didn't have my own until 3rd year medical school. Nobody died as a result of me not being reachable.

Memphis drivers reverse the meanings of acceleration and deceleration lanes.

Usually they drive fast, but sometimes they'll drive below the speed limit and without good reason.

But that's life in Memphis. Just remember one of the basic tenets of defensive driving: assume everyone else doesn't know how to drive and prepare for trouble accordingly. You get used to it pretty quickly. Memphis is still better than parts of NJ/NY in terms of road experience.

Don't forget: a car is basically a 2000 lb weapon. Treat driving with respect.

Stay alert and stay safe.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
Max Maxwell
Memphis Area Driving School :: Maxwell Driving School :: Memphis Area Driving School
I've heard excellent things about them, check it out.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM

165 posts, read 548,539 times
Also, not that this is a normal and everyday thing, but this morning (6:30ish) I was driving to my sub job, going east down Poplar in the far right lane (you know, the one right next to the sidewalk), and a guy was JOGGING up the MIDDLE of my lane! I slowed down and motioned for him to get on the sidewalk, where people are supposed to jog. He yelled at me, flipped me off, and punched my car; he got on the sidewalk and then jumped right back in the lane when I had gone by.

This guy may have been deranged, but it goes to show that you can't ever really trust anyone else on the road and that there's a reason besides reckless drivers why Memphis is number 7 in pedestrian deaths.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
My pet peeve is bicyclists who ride their bikes in the middle of a lane. I understand that we need to "share the road" as the law and signs indicate, but bicyclists need to work with motorists as well. Stay as far to the right as you can so you aren't a burden to motorists, and don't ride your bicycle on 2 lane roads that don't have a shoulder (ie- Wolf River Blvd e/of Houston levee).

I am not a bicyclist (I am a runner), but I like to think that if I did ridea bike, I would stick to trails or areas with marked bike lanes. As a runner, I like to stick to sidewalks or trails for my own safety instead of running in the street as many running magazines recommend (asphalt is easier on the knees than sidewalk).

Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM

190 posts, read 202,271 times
I thought Boston drivers were the worst! It must be bad everywhere. Not that I would know personally because yes, I am one of the thousands and thousands of adults who never learned to drive or have abandoned owning a personal vehicle. I travelled to Memphis from Boston via Amtrak several times and took the bus down to the Miss Delta. I got around just fine without a car in the Boston metro area and travelled for pleasure frequently and easily.
I know driving is necessary for most people but it is something that I have never missed.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM

469 posts, read 970,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
My pet peeve is bicyclists who ride their bikes in the middle of a lane. I understand that we need to "share the road" as the law and signs indicate, but bicyclists need to work with motorists as well. Stay as far to the right as you can so you aren't a burden to motorists, and don't ride your bicycle on 2 lane roads that don't have a shoulder (ie- Wolf River Blvd e/of Houston levee).

I am not a bicyclist (I am a runner), but I like to think that if I did ridea bike, I would stick to trails or areas with marked bike lanes. As a runner, I like to stick to sidewalks or trails for my own safety instead of running in the street as many running magazines recommend (asphalt is easier on the knees than sidewalk).
I agree with you completely as well as identify with Ladybug35's report of the jogger in the middle of the road as I had both of these problems rolled into one. After twelve years I finally bought the new suv I thought I needed for my road based work. It was bigger than I would normally like (although not the largest) so I could haul some large samples, and as a sidenote, grandkids. Upgrades came with the model I got which I wasn't looking for, but which made this thing cost more than intended. Getting used to this wider box was something I was still doing on the second day, when I was heading up Madison for an appointment. At the point near Midtown 240 where trolley stations are in the center, tracks are running down the left forward lane and cars are sporatically parked on the right hand curb a cyclist is kind of rolling in and out of the parked cars. I noticed he looked up and frowned at the guy in front of me for passing him in the next lane I guess, and I made sure I was in the left lane and tried to move past him. This new car I'm not used to didn't handle well on the edge of that trolley track tending to throw me slightly to the right, but still in my lane. Apparently this was some sort of threat to this character who followed me all the way to my destination and yelled at me when I got out "You tried to run me off the road." After thinking back as to who he must be, I replied that I definitely did not do that, and turned to enter the building. He screamed that I shouldn't be surprized if my tires were slashed when I came back. Rather than a childish argument or confrontation with a loonatic threatening my car with a knife, I kept going. A man on the street reported to me that this guy rode over, spit on the car and kicked the driver's door as hard as he could manage, causing no real damage. He had reported this to police riding by and they looked for him. A few days later, parked in the same spot I received what was obviously a key job on the hood of the car down to the primer, so I guess the Biked Avenger completed his mission. I'm trying real hard not to generalize, but I am completely in favor of dedicated bike lanes where they can be installed, and enforcement to assure bikers stay in them.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
I too, am baffled by runners who use the road when there is a good sidewalk right next to them, and bikers who choose Wolf River or another road, with no bike trail, when there are so many bike friendly places, can anyone explain the Wolf River biker traffic?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM

209 posts, read 460,085 times
Every people in this post could teach you drive. haha .

Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 PM

66 posts, read 145,490 times
Had a friend move here from England, if she can do it, you can.

I agree with Pitner, they provide Driver's ed to many of the schools. I would avoid Poplar between Highland and White Station, it is simply too congested and too narrow and the buses crowd you out, at least at first.

You can always use Walnut Grove or Park, instead and then take the North/South streets, if you need to access something on Poplar.

Be careful turning left, people will run the traffic lights. If possible use as many right hand turns as possible. I have been driving here for years and still do this. Don't try to turn left across multiple lanes, and never let someone wave you across on coming traffic, they will get you hit everytime.

If you have more questions, please ask. I used to teach Driver's Ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis