Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

Castalia Heights.........

I grew up there in the early 60's thru 1976.

Anybody ever live over there? There were a large area of apartments. But there was a nice area of homes mixed to the sides west and north....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM

I guess I'm the only one??

Old 11-08-2011, 06:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Never heard of it.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Never heard of it.
Did you grow up in Memphis?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,124 times
OP.
It is actually one of the quieter parts of the general area.
Not too many reports on anything going on much there.
The apartments are still there and you have one of the neighborhood stores that has kids hanging out a lot.
They redid one of the streets over there and added sidewalks and very nice walkups to some of the homes.
And people seem to keep things pretty neat as well as the vacant lots being maintained pretty well in most cases.

I dwell near there and it is the quickest route on my way to work.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
OP.
It is actually one of the quieter parts of the general area.
Not too many reports on anything going on much there.
The apartments are still there and you have one of the neighborhood stores that has kids hanging out a lot.
They redid one of the streets over there and added sidewalks and very nice walkups to some of the homes.
And people seem to keep things pretty neat as well as the vacant lots being maintained pretty well in most cases.

I dwell near there and it is the quickest route on my way to work.

That depends on what part you are talking about....I grew up there on Keltner Circle....in the 60's and 70's, it was go place to grow up......safe....good neighbors, yards to play with my friends, explore fields in the back and catch bees or pick black berries.

Now...it's a hell hole of drugs.....the backyards are gated up......multiple apts are boarded up....people walk the streets like zombies in the early morning and mid day.... two or three light poles are draped with teddy bears (half way up the poles). We all know what that means!

It's sad........I have such great memories as a kid. Magnolia was a great school too.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 PM

3 posts, read 17,193 times
I lived in Castalia Heights from 1960 to 1964 (i think) I used to ride my bike from the army depot to Keltner circle...I had a friend who lived on Keltner but can't think of her name. I was 12 when we moved away. There was a big house on the corner of Castalia and the street that the Army Depot was on. I remember a family lived there by the name of Flowers and another family lived there also, can't remember there name. One of those families owned a funeral home. I have good memories of that time. I guess the apts we lived in were the equivalent of the "projects" but I didn't know it at the time.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 17,193 times
I did from about 1959 or 1960 to 1964...I went to Melrose and another school...but can't reember the name.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 AM
CTO

1 posts, read 6,504 times
Lightbulb C.t.o

Castalia is still a beautiful community if you take the scab off the drug traffic and stop making the neighborhood a training ground for rookie officers..
I too have great memories as a youth growing up there.. My family still lives there today not because they couldn't afford anywhere else but because of traditional values that society has forgotten.. Most people may not know that historically Castalia Heights was designed for Military retirees and their families.
My family was among the elite that has been here since the first brick was laid.. So wit that said they will be here til the last brick is destroyed..
Castalia is a place where Family means family and holds true the meaning "It takes a village to raise a child"

Old 10-06-2013, 02:22 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
This would be the neighborhood by the Kellogg's factory and Kroger warehouse? Years ago, the Frisco Railroad's main Memphis yard was there. It was called Yale Yard.

Frisco Yale Yard

There is still a yard there, but it is a lot smaller than it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis