Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 AM

69 posts, read 229,553 times

Advertisements

(message for a friend)
I can't really participate in league play due to my work schedule, but really miss playing. I'm new to Memphis. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 03:51 PM

329 posts, read 635,803 times
I seen alot of pick up soccer in parks on the weekend, or refereed games. I don't know anybody personally,but you can check out parks in east Memphis on weekends. Im sorry because I don't the names of these parks

Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM

73 posts, read 228,669 times
I used to play all the time...I also played professionally under the old NASL

Memphis is an odd town, it is not necessarily a soocer town with a bunch of 'ethnics', Californians, Ivy leaguers, New Englanders or Floridians who grew up with the game and even watch the #1 SPECATATOR SPORT IN THE WORLD.

In short, Memphis is not part of the rest of the soccer USA or the world...you hardly can find a FIFA, Bundesleague, MSL, Premier League game on at any time even in places that call themselves a 'sports bar' with a 'zillion' flat screen TVs on ! Again, Memphis lags behind the nation, and even many places in the US and SOUTH....you can go to many sportsbars/restaurants in cities such as Atlanta, CHARLOTTE, DC, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami, Raleigh, Austin, NOVA, NOLA and even Knoxville, and catch viewing a variety of soccer matches....heck, I've had better luck watching a league match in Tuscaloosa AL, and especially Huntsville AL !

Check with the City of Germantown Parks, Collierville Parks/Rec, Univ of Memphis, Rhodes Athletic.
Chambers of Commerce, and especially Hispanic centers, Alliance Francaise, and of course any local British pub..

Good luck...but lost Memphians don't even know what LaCrosse is or the rules of NHL Hockey .

Look in the stands of any Redbirds Baseball AutoZone stadium, most of the baseball so-called fans are about 90% white attendees for pratcially every game....that strikes me odd in a majority African city and region.....that should tell you something as well

Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,155 times
There are games, you just need to know where to look. Here are some places you should consider. The times are also shared.

University of Memphis Intramural Field: (Fridays during school semester) Everyone is welcome. Spring times are 3pm-6pm, Fall 5pm-8pm. No one plays during the summer. Slide Tackles not allowed. The fence should be open by 4pm or earlier.

Dullins: (Tues, Thurs) - Another place you can play is at Dullins (7790 Fischer Steel Rd Cordova, TN 38018 (901) 758-2343)). The pick up games at Dullins are from 830pm - 11pm, cost: $5-10 (yes there is a cost, because there are referees). Highly competitive players. These players are punctual so get there early if you want to make your money's worth)

Central High School or Doctor's Field: (Saturdays) - If you're looking for a pick up soccer game on Saturdays, go to central high school. If it's occupied by high school students then go to University of Tennessee's Doctor's field off of Union (255 S. Dunlap Street) Times are 3pm-6pm, every single Saturday any weather, any season. These guys are punctual, athletic, fair and play great football. Please be respectful, this is my favorite place to play so don't ruin it for everyone and bring questionable players here, or anywhere else for that matter.

If you want to play everyday, go to Berclair and Bartlett neighborhoods. Berclair Elementary on Stratford rd. is a good place to check, go around 4pm in evening during the spring, or 7pm during the summer and fall. Those guys are RARELY punctual and may sometimes delay starting a game just so people can talk and shoot on goal. They play until the sun goes down. Another place place to check out is Freeman Park in Bartlett. You can find people playing soccer there mon-wed but I haven't been out there in a while. During the summer, the times were 6pm-9pm, and they played on time.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:46 PM

77 posts, read 276,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anongmous View Post
I used to play all the time...I also played professionally under the old NASL

Memphis is an odd town, it is not necessarily a soocer town with a bunch of 'ethnics', Californians, Ivy leaguers, New Englanders or Floridians who grew up with the game and even watch the #1 SPECATATOR SPORT IN THE WORLD.

In short, Memphis is not part of the rest of the soccer USA or the world...you hardly can find a FIFA, Bundesleague, MSL, Premier League game on at any time even in places that call themselves a 'sports bar' with a 'zillion' flat screen TVs on ! Again, Memphis lags behind the nation, and even many places in the US and SOUTH....you can go to many sportsbars/restaurants in cities such as Atlanta, CHARLOTTE, DC, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami, Raleigh, Austin, NOVA, NOLA and even Knoxville, and catch viewing a variety of soccer matches....heck, I've had better luck watching a league match in Tuscaloosa AL, and especially Huntsville AL !

Check with the City of Germantown Parks, Collierville Parks/Rec, Univ of Memphis, Rhodes Athletic.
Chambers of Commerce, and especially Hispanic centers, Alliance Francaise, and of course any local British pub..

Good luck...but lost Memphians don't even know what LaCrosse is or the rules of NHL Hockey .

Look in the stands of any Redbirds Baseball AutoZone stadium, most of the baseball so-called fans are about 90% white attendees for pratcially every game....that strikes me odd in a majority African city and region.....that should tell you something as well
The NASL, that is a blast from the past. What team? I grew up in northern NJ, and my family had season tickets to the Cosmos from 77 until the league folded in 85. Loved going to those games. Great memories.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:02 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post
The NASL, that is a blast from the past. What team? I grew up in northern NJ, and my family had season tickets to the Cosmos from 77 until the league folded in 85. Loved going to those games. Great memories.

We actually had Memphis Rogue and the Memphis Americans of the Indoor Soccer League season tickets several. Fun times, but what do I know, I am a lost Memphian I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis