U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2012, 12:00 PM

965 posts, read 856,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_home_town View Post
Last night we went to a "thing" at the Brooks Museum and they too had a drum line out front.

My neighbor went to that too. Btw, not sure if you saw above, but I think my birthday party will be at Sears in the parking lot now on Oct 13. About 99% sure thats where it will be now. Was thinking about the basement, but it looks like it will be outside.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM

280 posts, read 265,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
My neighbor went to that too. Btw, not sure if you saw above, but I think my birthday party will be at Sears in the parking lot now on Oct 13. About 99% sure thats where it will be now. Was thinking about the basement, but it looks like it will be outside.
If that's an invite I'd love to come by with the better half and celebrate with you!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 AM

965 posts, read 856,256 times
Hearing something about the trolley or some sort of transit connecting Sears and the rest of Midtown besides a bus line.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 PM

5,560 posts, read 9,317,246 times
That would be awesome... I can walk to Overton Park @ Cleveland... riding down to Madison would be fun...

Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Your right about that, I believe if Memphis would of been a little carless about it, we would look more mordern or "glassy" like ATL or Dallas. I would like to see a few glass structure rises to mix that old and new flavor
Agreed, there was a beautiful LEED glass tower (I believe called Trinity) proposed in the parking lot of a church by the convention center before the market tanked. That would've been a great complement starkly contrasting the 60s boxes and historic stock.

Hope it is revived when the market recovers.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Hearing something about the trolley or some sort of transit connecting Sears and the rest of Midtown besides a bus line.
Some sort of circuit route like this would be great: East Parkway stopping at CBU, Fairgrounds (under redevelopment, includes existing Children's Museum, Liberty Bowl, Kroc Center), then go on Cooper Young, go north to Overton Square, passing the Playhouse, and then take a route by Overton Park/Zoo/College of Art, pass Rhodes, go east on N. Parkwy, go back S. on E Pkwy, and either stop at the Broad intersection, or go in. Spur could go east to U of M/Poplar-Highland/Highland Strip/Pink Palace. I know Cooper Young nixed a trolley extension in the past. Maybe the universities could collaborate on a shuttle (there are four right there, and I think Chrichton/Victory is along the route as well), focused on what is essentially two circular routes (Parkways/Cooper/Young and East Parkway/Poplar/Highland/Central).

It would also be important for the area to maitain/increase its bike/pedestrian accommodations, which they're doing a pretty good job already. I think Cooper is pretty poor between Central and Union, though, especially around Otherlands. Wide streets, nonexistent or woeful sidewalks.

A connection then between Overton Square and downtown (whether light rail or otherwise) should indeed pass through Crosstown on the way to the Medical District.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 AM

5,560 posts, read 9,317,246 times
Not sure how you'd get a Madison extension to Overton Square to pass through Crosstown. To my eyes the best option would be a Cleveland/Watkins line running from Vollintine or Jackson down to Lamar or Peabody. It would hit a few neighborhoods like VECA (and the bus stops up there are always full, so there would be some users I'd imagine to get to downtown), Evergreen, Crosstown and Central Gardens. Bad news is down south, putting in a line on Cleveland (around Peabody) would be really tough, both politically AND physically.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Instead of saying "through" I should've said "by." The rail should at least at the start be simple, straight, etc. I don't remember how far from Madison Sears is, but if it's within visible walking distance, it should just have a stop at the intersection with the road that Sears is on (Cleveland?).

Personally, I think Curitba-style bus mass transit would be smarter than implementing a broader slow-paced light rail like the trolley.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:23 PM

179 posts, read 214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Agreed, there was a beautiful LEED glass tower (I believe called Trinity) proposed in the parking lot of a church by the convention center before the market tanked. That would've been a great complement starkly contrasting the 60s boxes and historic stock.

Hope it is revived when the market recovers.
Yes ! When I saw the Trinity Tower design a few years ago and saw it was canceled. I was like Nooo wtf happend !??? It would of been nice. Then the One Beale tower would of been good too. Looking at this video and how nice it looks on the skyline, I was upset it was canceled as well.
Memphis Riverfront Virtual Tour

Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Yes ! When I saw the Trinity Tower design a few years ago and saw it was canceled. I was like Nooo wtf happend !??? It would of been nice. Then the One Beale tower would of been good too. Looking at this video and how nice it looks on the skyline, I was upset it was canceled as well.
Memphis Riverfront Virtual Tour
At least they are keeping the location "as is," and not building a stump instead, like they had done at the hole on Main a few years back. Hopefully both are revived. With increase of riverboat cruises, the hopeful recovery of Pinnacle Arilines, the recent increase in downtown educational institutions, and connection between downtown/Harrahan Bridge and the Greenline, I think the quality of life of downtown (and Memphis as a whole, when you add what's going on in Midtown by Overton Square and Broad) will increase so it will continue to be a destination for residential business. I'm curious how the Chisca project will look as well, and hopefully we come up with funds to get matching funds for water taxis. That would be sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis