U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,190,653 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the part of Tennessee that lies on the western side of the river (contiguous with Arkansas). I seem to remember an article (maybe the CA) sometime back that talked about the people living there. Politically, they're in Tipton and/or Lauderdale Counties (TN), but geographically, they're actually on the west side of the river, accessible only via the bridge in Memphis.

Just wondering if anyone has ever known anyone who lived there. What's the experience like? Where do kids go to school? How do emergency services work? I'm not interested in moving there; rather, I'm just curious about it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM

159 posts, read 314,061 times
Boy those were great questions.. I had to go searching and asking some of my own.. my boyfriend's mother was born and raised in Lauderdale county and is one fiesty woman.. but was told that there were no communities located from Lauderdale county west of the MS river.. now did find out there are two communities listed from Tipton county that are on the Arkansas side but the state of TN pays for those students to attend school in Arkansas.. don't know how acurate that info is, just relaying the info that I found out about.. As for emergency systems I suppose they come from the Arkansas side, once again just and assumption..
As I have only been living in the area of Dyer county since March... still learning about the area.. Sorry I couldn't be of more help in this area.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM

No, that's actually really good info. So it's Tipton only, not Lauderdale. I'm looking at a Google map of the area, and the state line gets really confusing as one goes north from Memphis. It's very clear that part of Tipton (and maybe even extreme north Shelby) crosses west of the river. The Lauderdale part was much less clear. Thanks for letting me know about Lauderdale.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM

357 posts, read 775,117 times
Regarding Shelby County, what is known as Brandywine Chute is in fact in Tennessee. But you have to work at following the meandering state line in that area.

In Lake County west of Ridgely some of Missouri is "in" Tennessee, and north of Caruthersville, MO, some of Tennessee is "in" Missouri. This goes on up and down the whole river in many states. There are examples between Arkansas and Mississippi. A very well known example is at Tunica and there are a couple more just south of Helena. But mostly it's sparsely populated farming communities, so the impact is not that great.

An interesting aspect of it used to be what fishing or hunting license did you need for these areas. In modern times they've had reciprocal agreements worked out for it, as shown in the Arkansas regulations -

"Reciprocal Agreements - Arkansas resident hunting licenses are valid on Mississippi land that lies west of the main channel of the Mississippi River. Mississippi resident hunting licenses are valid on Arkansas lands that lie east of the main channel. Resident license holders of either state may hunt migratory waterfowl on flowing waters of the Mississippi River, on waters accessible by boat from the main channel of the Mississippi River or on state-line lakes when the season is open in both states. The St. Francis, White and Arkansas rivers and their oxbows are excluded from this agreement. Floodwater is not included in this agreement. Hunters must obey the regulations of the state where they’re hunting.
Tennessee and Arkansas recognize hunting licenses of both states on the flowing waters of the Mississippi River, adjacent waters which are accessible by boat from the river proper and the old river chutes that form a common boundary. Migratory waterfowl may be hunted on these waters by a license holder of either state when the season is open in both states. Hunters may not hunt from, nor attach any device or equipment to, land under the jurisdiction of the state in which they are not licensed. Hunters must obey regulations of the state that issues the license. Wildlife management areas established by either state and the Wolf, Loosahatchie, Hatchie, Forked Deer and Obion rivers are excluded from this reciprocal agreement."

This all of course results from Ole Man River not having much respect for the mere technicalities of states' borders. The river needed permission of no one to change course. Banks, sandbars and large trees literally are gone overnight.

The Corps of Engineers works hard at stabilizing the river. Otherwise no telling who would be in what state.

Last edited by Ginsaw; 06-27-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 AM

13,738 posts, read 10,938,782 times
This is not really enough info to be helpful, but I always heard my grandfather talk about growing up on Island No. 42 near Drummonds.

He passed away in the 70s and I have no idea what he was talking about now, since any islands over that way look like they are covered with water during the rainy season. But I know they lived about as far west in Tennessee as you can get.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM

I know about where it would be. Island 45 (or 46) should be President's Island. Island 40 Chute is an old river oxbow and a fishing hole on the Arkansas side just north of Memphis. There are or were some other river islands in that area. Try this, but don't expect it to load quickly if at all. You may have to go to main link and try to navigate your way around - http://cartweb.geography.ua.edu:9001...view-dhtml.xsl. If you can get there, click on the left map, then run it down to the Memphis area, then zoom in.

I'm not sure "Island 42" still exists. If you're really interested in it, the Corps of Engineers used to have for sale detailed maps. But like I said, these islands were known to come and go. Btw, the names of these things are rather colorful. You have a Poker Island, Whiskey Island, Hens and Chickens Island, and even a Mud Island. Our ancestors really told it like it was...

Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM

This is really fascinating stuff. Thanks for the info, Ginsaw and Wmsn4Life.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM

You might enjoy this too, from the Corps of Engineers website - Historic Names and Places on the Lower Mississippi River -- Table of Contents -- History -- New Orleans District -- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Some of those names have to be from the earliest river users, probably late 1700s.

The most interesting things about Memphis river history I think are, in no particular order, the early exploration period, the river steamboats, the Civil War naval battle fought here, the Wreck of the Sultana (worst U.S. maritme disaster - even worse than the Titanic), and the building of the railroad bridges.

And the most interesting book ever written about any of this imo is Mark Twain's "Life On The Mississippi".

Oh, here are a few shots of what your South Bluffs used to be - http://condrenrails.com/MRP/Memphis-...bluff-yard.htm

And a few shots from the air of the riverfront long ago at Memphis - http://condrenrails.com/MRP/Memphis-...road-Yards.htm. Be sure to use the "enlarge photo" feature.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,666,491 times
A friend/former coworker grew up on an island in the river....might have been Island 42, but I don't recall. I do know that she attended school in Tipton County on the "mainland"...traveling by boat...

Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM

13,738 posts, read 10,938,782 times
Knowing my relatives, I'm sure it was Whiskey Island.

Ginsaw, where have you been all my life? This has been really interesting and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis