Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 12,819 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving to Memphis with my family (wife and 4 yr old) and will be working in the downtown area. Someone recommended the Midtown Place apartments (on Poplar, near Overton park) as they will not be too far from work. Any recommendations about the place? (safety etc).

Thank you and have a blessed day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Let me start by saying that I have no direct knowledge of the apartments. The area is very nice, although it appears like most apts around that area are older and may not be kept up extremely well. It's an area with a lot of younger people as well, so I'm not sure what having a 4 year old would be like.

Have you looked at other areas of town? Or other neighborhoods within midtown or downtown?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Midtown Place Apts.

Thank you Pearlbob for your reply. I have checked apartments on Mud Island which are good but are eminently suited for grad students and couples without kids. Almadura (downtown-midtown) is OK but didn't like the surrounding area. Others that I have talked to are near the Baptist hospital (River Oaks-Humphrey's avenue). There are some good places I found online but they are near Cordova and present a rather long commute. Uptown apartments are close to downtown but again the area is not the best. I will also see if I can rent a house near Midtown/Rhodes college area.

Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I agree, No to the Almadura. I wouldn't want to live right on Poplar in that area. The River Oaks area is very nice, if you'd rather live in the eastern part of town. I would not recommend living in Uptown, it's not really a safe area. Much worse than where Almadura is.

Like has been said on this forum, a lot of places in town do not advertise. They rely on word of mouth or signs in the yard. They can rent immediately using those methods without having to spend money on advertising online or in the paper. If you are in town, I'd suggest driving around and looking for For Rent signs in the areas that you like.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Thanks Pearlbob....will do that!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM

190 posts, read 649,658 times
Default Apartment Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcam View Post
Thanks Pearlbob....will do that!
The Madison at Humphries is a great location. Right near I-240 and Walnut Grove, assume lot of Drs. and Nurses live there since it is near the Baptist Hospital location and a big Baptist office building immediately adjacent to it.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Chuck,
Thanks. These aprts. do look good.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM

16 posts, read 31,902 times
Midtown is a nice area- some parts of it are *very* nice, but of course living on the main street like that it's very loud. You'll have to get used to hearing fire trucks and traffic all night, if you're used to more quiet areas. They have some cool places to eat there. You do have to watch your surroundings, though, and maybe more so than usual- Memphis is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. So you have to get used to knowing which stores you're comfortable going into, streets to avoid, etc.

I think Germantown is supposed to be nice too; maybe a little more upscale though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis