Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:10 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Infrequent poster, but I'm hoping someone can shed light on this for me. About a year ago, I went to the ER at Methodist for a problem that (thankfully) turned out to not be too serious. As anyone who has been to the ER knows, these trips can get pricey and you're paying multiple bills afterward.

Now, around the time of this ER visit, my husband and I moved, so while I paid most of the bills, one of them did escape me for awhile. I caught it and paid it before it went to collections, thankfully. I thought I was free and clear.

Fast forward to about 8-10 weeks ago. I was on the phone with my dad, and he casually mentioned that this collections agency was calling at their house asking for me under my married name. Now, I have not lived at my parents' house in six years, and certainly not since I was married. I also have not given their personal home phone number out in much longer than that.

He gives me the phone number, I google it, and come across this company -- Consolidated Recovery Systems/RAP LLC -- they're local here in town, with a 901 number. All of the posts from different people all seem to indicate this place is a scam, as I cannot find one person who actually admits that they owe money.

I search through my phone history and realize I have never received a phone call from these people, much less a bill of any kind. My dad sort of laughs it off, but when the calls continue, he finally calls back and quite firmly tells them that I do not live there, that I have not lived there in years, and he will be reporting them to the BBB if they do not stop calling.

They stop calling him, and I find all of my payment records for the ER trip...so I assume all is well.

Two weeks ago, on July 8th, my husband and I are sitting down to lunch when his phone rings from a number he didn't recognize. He answers. Guess who? It's the collections agency, and they immediately take on a belligerent tone with him, telling him that he's liable for my debt if I don't pay (the "debt" they say I owe is less than $150, btw). So he gives me the phone, and the woman starts yelling at me for non-payment and demanding my account number. I tell her, quite calmly, that I don't appreciate the fact that her company has been repeatedly calling my father and now my husband as opposed to me, and that I will not be paying this bill as I have not received anything from them in writing. She tells me that she will send me something that day, and she expects payment by July 15th.

Eight days later, on July 16th, I finally receive the "bill" (postmarked on the 15th, btw). It consists of their letterhead, a brief note, the amount they say I owe and...that's it. No account number, no reference to the doctor, nothing -- just a demand for payment. I'm going to call Methodist today to see what is going on, but I paid a bill in this exact dollar amount about six months ago, so I don't know what I'm going to find out.

Sorry for the essay, but here are my questions -- 1) Has anyone ever dealt with this company in a legitimate way? and 2) Are the methods they're using legal?

If I DO owe this debt, I'm more than happy to pay it, but this company seems sketchy at best.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM

72 posts, read 134,945 times
Next time they call put them on speaker phone and tape record it. Ask them lots of questions, then tell her that you have recorded the conversation and will report them.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
You can try this in attempt to get them to validate their claim.
Sample Debt Validation Letter for Debt Collectors

Send a certified copy of a cease and desist letter to stop the harassment.
Cease and Desist Letter Template For Debt Collectors

Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,437 times
FWIW, I believe Consolidated Recovery Systems is actually owned by Methodist....at least they were years ago...

Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Under the FDCPA, the creditor must validate the debt. Thus, you can insist that the creditor provide you with info about the debt, i.e. when it was incurred, what services were performed, payment history, etc. Put your request/demand in writing and send it return receipt (with signature).

I had to go through this process several years ago. It's a pain, but as a matter of principle, I will not pay anyone one penny that I do not owe. I'd rather go through writing letters, sending mail, paying postage, etc., than pay one red cent for a bill I don't owe.

Best wishes.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
This might help
The Truth About Debt Collectors - daveramsey.com

Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 PM

49 posts, read 154,664 times
thatswanlady

Obtain a proper copy of your credit report before all else. Read over it very well. And then just go from there.

If a debt collector sends you a mailing which just looks far out then you have thirty days in which you can ask them to formally validate the debt and they have to get back to you quick on that. I am not a lawyer, obviously, but that is the gist of the law and all.

It will be alright.

ETA

Eww! Their web site looks really not all that legit. Eww! It harmed my delicate nerdy aesthetic to even look at it

http://www.rapllc.com/mainframe.htm

They claim they are licensed and whatnot in TN, you know, since they are in the 38118 and all. But their proof of that looks really off. It is a heavily (and I bet intentionally) blurred framed high school diploma looking piece of poo just there on their site and all.

So do not worry any, then. Just read over your credit report and all.

Last edited by lulubrown; 07-30-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I am asking for proof in writing (actual proof), and we'll see what it says and go from there.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
FWIW, I believe Consolidated Recovery Systems is actually owned by Methodist....at least they were years ago...
They still are. It's the profit-making arm of Methodist Healthcare. It's organized as a separate organization so they can make money that way while remaining a non-profit.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 PM

80 posts, read 267,525 times
I had something similar happen with a different hospital here in town. Same thing, bill from a company I'd never heard of. I was really suspicious. Long story short: I called the hospital billing department directly to make sure I really owed them. Called the insurance company to make sure they really hadn't already paid. Turned out to be legit. The hospital ok'd me to pay them rather than the collections co., and I asked for a followup notice showing a $0 balance that I'll keep on hand for the future in case this mess comes up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis