Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Within the last 5 yrs, have you or anyone in your immediate family been a victim of crime?
Yes, I was a victim of larceny 7 14.29%
Yes, I was burglarized 7 14.29%
Yes, my car was stolen 2 4.08%
Yes, I was robbed 2 4.08%
Yes, I was assualted 3 6.12%
Yes, I was raped 1 2.04%
Yes, I was murdered 5 10.20%
None of the above 26 53.06%
View 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:42 PM

145 posts, read 291,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRLWIND View Post
hi thanks for that brill advice i will look forward to coming to memphis now especially around graceland its looks so nice from all the photos and seen quite a lot of area to visit beal street union avenue and bb kings mud island thanks for your expert advice

If I can give you some advice - please do visit Graceland in Memphis. It is great fun and so interesting. The neighborhoods and shops around Graceland are a bit run down and not what you would expect though. It is not a place I would feel comfortable late at night. It is perfectly safe in that area during the day. The same goes for Beale Street. I am not alone when I say this. I know many Memphians who have lived there all their lives and have not been to Graceland because they do not want to go into that area. They live in the suburbs though.
Memphis can be an intimidating place. I did travel into certain areas of Memphis alone during the day, but it was in a highly populate shopping area. There are also many restaurants we visited as a family. BUT, Memphis does have one of the highest crime rates in the U.S. Even in the suburbs you live in a little fear.
We loved the suburb we lived in but did not want to raise teens in the Memphis area and wonder if they were driving into "gangville."
It is so unfornuate though. Memphis is full of so much wonderful history and culture!! It is just a shame that the Memphis Elvis loved is not the same. It is ridden with crime, poverty and a corrupt city government. It is sad something like that could happen to such a beautiful place with many beautiful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
In my almost 40 years in the Memphis area, I've had some tools stolen out of an unlocked truck tool box about 20 years ago. This was at Shelby Farms back when the area around Shelby Farms was basically undeveloped.

I've had family members who have been burglarized and cars stolen over the years, so I know it happens. In fact, I have a relative who moved back to the area about 8 years ago and have had their vehicle broken into twice (once in Lakeland and once in Collierville). So I know it goes on and I'm not silly enough to think I can escape something of that nature if I manage to hang on another 40 years.

I also have friends (not originally from Memphis) who were never victims of any kind of crime in Memphis, but spent their entire time here in terror of something happening. They finally pulled up stakes and moved to the Knoxville area and got their car broken into the first week they were there. Sometimes we have good luck, sometimes we have bad luck. Living in Memphis certainly increases the bad luck odds, but it's not as bad here as good in other places as some would lead you to believe.

Anyway, I got to vote none of the above. Knock on wood...hope I haven't cursed myself.
good post. it is so sensible and accurate. my sister-in-law moved to houston to take an employment opportunity. she was taking her lunch break in a city business district park, abducted, raped, kidnapped, and murdered. i'll forgo the details of the actual murder. my first cousin, who lived in nashville, tn, was murdered, while on her way to a friend's wedding. my childhood friend, our next door neighbor for whom i played the organ at her wedding, left on her honeymoon, moved to reno, nevada and was murdered seven months later. she stepped out of her front door, walked into the yard to pick up the newspaper, returned to her front door, not knowing that her assailant was waiting inside to rape, strangle, and set her house afire.

i have numerous friends and relatives in various large and small cities all over the world, including memphis. none, fortunately, have ever been assaulted or robbed in their communities. my brother, who lives in a very small community w/ his wife and three children, waved at his neighbor who lived about a mile down the gravel road. the neighbor waved back, smiled, and drove past. the next afternoon the neighbor, his wife, and their three children were all found dead in their livingroom, the result of murder/suicide by the husband. crime happens everywhere. while odds against being a crime victim can be minimized, crime is never far from any of us. you would be a fool to believe any thing different---no matter where you move.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 12,886 times
I have not personally, but my neighbors have and crime is one of the many reasons why I am looking to move out of Memphis. Even in our 'safer' rural neighborhood, gang-related knifings, shootings, hold-ups, robberies are occurring. It is so disconcerting and not worth it, in my opinion.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:54 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by np1979 View Post
Even in our 'safer' rural neighborhood, gang-related knifings, shootings, hold-ups, robberies are occurring.
Where is this safer, rural neighborhood where there are gang related stabbings, shootings, hold ups, and robberies? I'm sure that this board would benefit from knowing the location so we can advise future residents to avoid the area. I haven't heard of any area other than inner city ghetto that has gang related stabbings, shootings, hold ups, and robberies. I'd hate to steer someone to a "safer" neighborhood if this kind of thing is going on with the frequency you describe.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
Where is this safer, rural neighborhood where there are gang related stabbings, shootings, hold ups, and robberies? I'm sure that this board would benefit from knowing the location so we can advise future residents to avoid the area. I haven't heard of any area other than inner city ghetto that has gang related stabbings, shootings, hold ups, and robberies. I'd hate to steer someone to a "safer" neighborhood if this kind of thing is going on with the frequency you describe.
I concour, I live on the very outskirts of Oarnge Mound. I purchased my home 5+ years, and I've never had 1 problem. I think all my criminal neighbors have moved to G'Town/Collierville

Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 PM

50 posts, read 260,622 times
I had a Memphis Metro Gang Unit police officer teach my Criminal Justice class at the U of M, and he said that Memphis gets a bad rap because of how it reports crime.
Example situation: Someone walks into a convenience store and holds up the clerk for money. On the way out he steals some product off the shelves. He then pulls someone out of their car in the parking lot, shoots them in the head, and speeds off with the car.
Supposedly, in some cities, that entire incident gets reported only as a Murder1.
In Memphis, and some other cities, it puts a tick mark on several categories ranging from aggravated robbery, to theft, to murder1, to motor vehicle theft, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis