Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times

Advertisements

What companies typically hire engineers in the Memphis area? Specifically Mechanical Engineers? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Look at the orthopedic companies, specifically Medtronic, Smith & Newphew, and Wright. IMO those are going to be by far the best jobs for MEs in Memphis.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 PM

Okay I'll check them out thanks for the input.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:25 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,264 times
The Corps of Engineers has a presence in Memphis.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
I was going to say Smith and Nephew. My dad just retired from there in 2009. Awesome company and they treat their employees well..well, that what dad said and he worked there more than 30 years.

Is International Paper still in Memphis? That might be an option as well. I would say FedEx but I am not exactly sure what an ME would do for them....maybe work on the distribution line developing more efficient ways to get the products down the line? I dunno...

Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Looks like FedEx, Medtronic, and Dupont are hiring people with bachelors degrees in Mechanical Engineering. Those would be good gigs. I looked at a job at Dupont years ago, and they were paying very well. I didn't get it.

Mechanical Engineer Jobs, Employment in Memphis, TN | Indeed.com

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM

405 posts, read 822,459 times
Why limit yourself to the few companies in Memphis?!? An engineering degree will get you a job anywhere you want to go in the country and will pay you enough to support the cost of living where ever you choose to move. I wish I had an engineering degree. I'd get out of Memphis quick, fast, and in a hurry and NEVER look back...

Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Why limit yourself to the few companies in Memphis?!? An engineering degree will get you a job anywhere you want to go in the country and will pay you enough to support the cost of living where ever you choose to move. I wish I had an engineering degree. I'd get out of Memphis quick, fast, and in a hurry and NEVER look back...
I am looking at various places and Memphis happens to be one of them.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM

405 posts, read 822,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I am looking at various places and Memphis happens to be one of them.
I don't know why in the world you choose to add Memphis to your list, but in all sincerity, I would advise you to scratch Memphis off your list and look elsewhere. If you want to know why, some of the more recent posts in the thread "Young African-Amerian Male Relocating To Memphis...Your Perspective?" online it perfectly. You may not be African-American, but Memphis is a nightmare for any educated young professional who hopes to build a strong resume, make good connections, and have any advancement in their career.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
I don't know why in the world you choose to add Memphis to your list, but in all sincerity, I would advise you to scratch Memphis off your list and look elsewhere. If you want to know why, some of the more recent posts in the thread "Young African-Amerian Male Relocating To Memphis...Your Perspective?" online it perfectly. You may not be African-American, but Memphis is a nightmare for any educated young professional who hopes to build a strong resume, make good connections, and have any advancement in their career.
Well as of right now I'm still in school and looking for an internship or co-op. I'm not going to take a job that doesn't look good on a resume. With that being said any major city almost has to have engineering firms and my main concern right now is being able to put some sort of engineering experience on my resume.

I chose Memphis because it's close to home. My dad can't do as much as he used to be able to so I don't really want to be 10 hours or so away from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: