U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 3,840 times
Default How is midtown / Cooper-Young doing?

I might be moving back to the 38104. How has it held up over the past 20 years? Is there still a ton of stuff to do? I realize I was a college student when I last lived there, and my priorities have shifted. I still like to get out and do stuff and see bands and generally be sociable. I hear mixed reports, from "it's even better" to "it's a wasteland" so I am not sure what to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM

506 posts, read 393,525 times
Cooper Young seems to be doing alright, though I can't say I go down there that much. Midtown in general it's hard to say what direction it's heading. There has been a lot of stuff closing but a lot of stuff opening as well. There's a new medium-size music venue where Strings and Things used to be that hosts some pretty decent shows. Overton Square area is pretty dead except for a couple of staple restaurants.

also, in b4 johnny ryall links you to a bunch of news articles about alleged new development in the area.

Unread 11-08-2011, 08:59 AM

630 posts, read 819,322 times
Most everything in Midtown Memphis is on the up & up. Cooper-Young, Vollintine-Evergreen, Central Gardens, Midtown Proper, etc. all included. I understand that commercial real estate prices & rent are starting to climb pretty high in Cooper-Young, which caused the departure of a handful of businesses, but more high-end or eclectic stuff continues to trickle back in. Without a doubt, definitely better than 20 years ago.

I wouldn't consider Overton Square to be in Cooper-Young, but that place is no longer leasing on the south side of Madison in preparation for redevelopment by Loeb Properties into a theatre arts district. Also, rumors are swirling about the now closed French Quarter Inn that sits on the north east corner of Madison Ave. & Cooper being redeveloped into a 4-star boutique hotel.

Unread 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM

961 posts, read 632,471 times
Responses to snake:

Cooper Young seems to be doing alright, though I can't say I go down there that much.

Should you really be commenting then?

Midtown in general it's hard to say what direction it's heading.
This is a crazy statement. You never come to Midtown yet it's hard to say what direction it's heading?

There has been a lot of stuff closing but a lot of stuff opening as well.
What?

There's a new medium-size music venue where Strings and Things used to be that hosts some pretty decent shows.
Minglewood is a reat venue with great acts from local to national.

Overton Square area is pretty dead except for a couple of staple restaurants.
It is not 100% occupied, but it's far from dead. From the Bayou, Boscos, SideStreet, and Memphis Pizza there is plenty going on.

also, in b4 johnny ryall links you to a bunch of news articles about alleged new development in the area.
Johnny knows what he is talking about.

Last edited by JMT; 11-13-2011 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Removed snarky comments directed at a particular poster.

Unread 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM

506 posts, read 393,525 times
I don't go down to Cooper Young specifically very often (one or twice a month I guess--certainly enough to notice that the restaurants aren't closing and draw pretty good crowds), but I go to midtown all the time since I live and work downtown.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 11-13-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Unread 11-20-2011, 03:32 PM

107 posts, read 141,805 times
Although my experience in midtown, only goes back about 15 years, I would guess that it, in many ways is much the same as you probably remember- a bunch of very unique, very expensive homes not too far from lower-income housing. There are still a bunch of small neighborhood restaurants and bars that are walkable from pretty much anywhere you live. As its residents likely were 20 years ago, people that live in Midtown have continued to be incredibly loyal to their neighborhoods (and neighborhood small businesses); many residents have been there for several decades; these neighborhoods still undoubtedly have a strong sense of community. Stability in the neighborhoods is one of the reasons that the number of distress properties in Central Gardens, Idewild, Evergreen, anesdale park, etc. is significantly lower than you find in the newer suburbs (Collierville, Arlington, etc.) where both building and property transfers were out of control.

That, being said, there are a couple of notable things that have changed over the past years. First, an incredible amount of homes were renovated/updated in the past 10 years; many are absolutely stunning. Second, people that work downtown and professional/graduate students (UTHSC and U of M law) are much more dispersed than they once were; they are no longer all in Midtown. They are now spread out between midtown and downtown; some are even further east. For this reason, I guess midtown, in general could be considered a bit quieter. I can kind of appreciate that it can be more quiet and pleasant than the suburbs in the evenings (non-business hours); don't get me wrong though, there is still stuff to do, good restaurants, and people out and about.

Midtown is fine. As it's already really diverse (socioeconomically and racially), I don't think you'll ever have to worry about the flight that goes on in other parts of the city from decade to decade; the number one reason some neighborhoods in town weaken. Also, location-wise, it's great. You can get downtown quickly and out East quickly.

Unread 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,028,381 times
C Y has a higher then average crime rate. All I ever here is that ppl are being robbed @ gunpoint or their homes are being broken into.

I wouldn't live there.

Unread 12-14-2011, 02:05 PM

630 posts, read 819,322 times
Well, as far as I can tell, crime in Cooper Young has gone down drastically since the area's revitalization hit critical mass years ago. It definitely still has some issues, but the neighborhood association has been very vocal, which they should. 6 robberies in 1 year in a district that big with that much foot traffic is no reason to run for the hills. Also, I've heard a lot of those have been little punks with BB pistols trying to scare drunks into giving them their wallet/purse. I'm sure they'll get property crime down even further after MPD & CYNA put a cohesive strategy in place.

Unread 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM

961 posts, read 632,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
C Y has a higher then average crime rate. All I ever here is that ppl are being robbed @ gunpoint or their homes are being broken into.

I wouldn't live there.
Massenburg agreed, "We have to be aware. We know who belongs in here and who doesn't. This is a safe neighborhood and we need to keep it that way."
This marks the third armed robbery that has taken place on a three-block stretch of Felix in the past 2 1/2 years.

All crime sucks, but this is hardly an epidemic and not bad for a city like Memphis. Get your facts straight before making asinine comments.

Last edited by knucklehead_vol; 12-14-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Unread 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM

107 posts, read 141,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post

I wouldn't live there.
There is some crime in Cooper-young and while it is fair to mention it, you are definitely exaggerating how often people are robbed at gunpoint (very rare and isolated incidences). There are some burglaries, but it more a result of demographics (young working professionals...relatively few stay at home moms and retired folks) than the neighborhood being dangerous and is being addressed by MPD ad the neighborhood association. Any crime is too much crime, so there is certainly room for improvement. While CY may have more crime than some of the other midtown neighborhoods that attract professionals (Central Gardens, Evergreen, etc), knowing many that live in the area and the strength of the neighborhood association, I would give it a look.

Last edited by one opinion; 12-17-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis