Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 16,437 times

Advertisements

Dear Memphians,

I have dreamed of builiding or living at an off-grid house and I want to save some money to make my dream come true. I think the hybrid of passive house and energy-plus house would be one of the answers. Do you know current such communities around Memphis, home/community developers, or future plans?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
You'd have to look pretty hard to go off grid near Memphis.

Have you seen this thread? It details another couple's "off-grid" experience in East Tennessee to give you an idea of what it's really like.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

Be sure to notice the timeline, and be aware of the fact that they maintain another home in Florida.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Going off grid is not about being part of a community. It's about independence.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM

49 posts, read 154,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macro95 View Post
Dear Memphians,

I have dreamed of builiding or living at an off-grid house and I want to save some money to make my dream come true. I think the hybrid of passive house and energy-plus house would be one of the answers. Do you know current such communities around Memphis, home/community developers, or future plans?

Best

You can invest in most any home now and install Solar and the like in the here and now. People have been doing that in Southern California for decades and decades. I have never heard of an intentionally ecologically friendly neighborhood or town since I have lived here, that does not mean there aren't any, I just have never heard of one.

A hybrid house (which is not the same as off the grid at all) I know nothing of as such a thing would pertain to Shelby County as a whole. MLGW is a very bizarre and horrible company and so I do not know what to tell you about a hybrid house at all on that end.

Hopefully there will be someone popping by who can be of more help?!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,238 times
Lulubrown pretty much gave you the best post.
It does seem like a good idea based on the ludicrous fees MLGW charges some people.
Maybe there are local groups who support off the grid living and they could help you there.
I was thinking of the same possibilities but with a recent huge pay cut i'll not be doing anything major soon.

Macro, if you do come up with anything I'd appreciate you sharing the info here.
And I'll do the same.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM

10 posts, read 26,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macro95 View Post
Dear Memphians,

Best
Hello!

I've lived in the memphis area all my life and can honestly say that I know of no off grid style housing anywhere around. I do know of one house that is built as a semi-underground house but that's the only one.

I have always wanted to do that myself but it just isn't financially feasible in this area

Take care and seeya!
JIm

Old 03-28-2018, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,630 times
Default Off grid in Shelby County

I am off grid in Shelby County and have been for over a year. Is anyone else?

Denton

Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,615 times
Forget to pay your utility bill and you will be off grid

Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM

56 posts, read 83,743 times
Memphians are off the grid all the time but not for the right reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: