Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 AM

774 posts, read 2,574,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by div222 View Post
We are thinking about moving to Memphis from Bay Area, CA. It is scary a little bit and we are not sure if this is the right thing to do.
We wondering about many things, of course, some of them were addressed on this great forum already. I have more questions though, this is one of them.

How about organic food in Memphis? What about Germantown? Is it easy to find? Is it expensive? I was trying to search for an information online, I saw some stores, but still have no idea about prices/selection.
There's a Fresh Market in Germantown that has organic foods. In midtown, there's Square Food Natural Market (It's on Cooper). These, of course, are in addition to the organic selections in the grocery stores (including Super-Target) and Wild Oats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,326,795 times
Just out of curiousity - moving from San Fran to Memphis is a complete culture shock. Is there a specific reason you would be moving here (job offer?) or you are just want to get out of the west coast and Memphis is one of many cities to consider?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 PM

376 posts, read 1,773,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emp6t View Post
The attitude towards organic food is different in Memphis, but it will change with time (and increased awareness) I am sure. Still, stores do have small organic sections, so it is not impossible to reproduce it to some extent. The downtown market will not impress a Californian, yet there are some local growers that went organic since the 70s, and you can rely on them. I believe that Whole Foods will be buying Wild Oats, so hopefully their prices will go down and organic will be more accessible to many more.

I heard that there will be another health store opening in Midtown sometime in November (does anyone know about that?). I would love to find a food co-op in Midtown. Is there one?
There's a health food store opening in the former Burke's Books on Poplar.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 PM

9 posts, read 70,279 times
Thank you all, it looks like there are quite a few options, great to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I wasn't making fun, I'm just pointing out that around here the thoughts about organic food will be much different than what you are probably used to.

Pearlbob, you might be surprised, but opinions about organic food are not that uniform here. For example, at my work I am the only person who buys organic food. Two of my colleagues are somewhat anti-organic, other 9 don’t care. At my husband’s work situation is just a little better (2 organic/9 not).

I did not think you were making fun of me, I just wanted to explain why I prefer organic.

Main reason for moving is the job offer. We were actually looking for a place to move for some time already. It is too expensive for us here. Now, when we have kids, we want to have some space for them, maybe buy a house. Housing prices are crazy in Bay Area, especially in good schools districts. We are not making that much money. I know very few people who were able to buy houses here; most of them bought them many years ago. I know many more people who were (and still are) renting for many, many years and raised kids in some crappy 1bdr (sometimes 2bdr) apartments. I don’t want that for my kids.
Besides, I don’t really enjoy our life here, it’s too crowded. Maybe it is also too diverse for my taste. I mean, I have nothing against people of different races, but I think they should make an effort to integrate and at least lean some English.
We still have lots of doubts if the Memphis is right place for us. We are foreign (but speaking reasonable English ). We are not religious also . I guess in the city itself, lake in any big city, it won’t be important. I am not sure about places as Germantown.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 PM

201 posts, read 1,067,300 times
div22, you will find a healthy selection of organic and natural foods at all the major retailers. Super Target, in particular, sells a wonderful natural, organic chicken that is usually on sale making it less expensive than the pumped up frozen bagged chicken breasts.

There is also a great meat market in Bartlett called Charlies which sells natural meats at GREAT prices.

You can also look up on localharvest.org to see if there are any co-ops available for your fresh, organic fruits and vegetables. They usually run from $25/week or flat seasonal fees can range from $400-$600 for weekly picks.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 PM

774 posts, read 2,574,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
div22, you will find a healthy selection of organic and natural foods at all the major retailers. Super Target, in particular, sells a wonderful natural, organic chicken that is usually on sale making it less expensive than the pumped up frozen bagged chicken breasts.

There is also a great meat market in Bartlett called Charlies which sells natural meats at GREAT prices.

You can also look up on localharvest.org to see if there are any co-ops available for your fresh, organic fruits and vegetables. They usually run from $25/week or flat seasonal fees can range from $400-$600 for weekly picks.
When did Charlie move out to Bartlett? I'm only familiar with the one on Summer where I've shopped all of my life. And you're right - you can't beat Charlie's.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 PM

376 posts, read 1,773,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by div222 View Post
Thank you all, it looks like there are quite a few options, great to know that.

Pearlbob, you might be surprised, but opinions about organic food are not that uniform here. For example, at my work I am the only person who buys organic food. Two of my colleagues are somewhat anti-organic, other 9 don’t care. At my husband’s work situation is just a little better (2 organic/9 not).

I did not think you were making fun of me, I just wanted to explain why I prefer organic.

Main reason for moving is the job offer. We were actually looking for a place to move for some time already. It is too expensive for us here. Now, when we have kids, we want to have some space for them, maybe buy a house. Housing prices are crazy in Bay Area, especially in good schools districts. We are not making that much money. I know very few people who were able to buy houses here; most of them bought them many years ago. I know many more people who were (and still are) renting for many, many years and raised kids in some crappy 1bdr (sometimes 2bdr) apartments. I don’t want that for my kids.
Besides, I don’t really enjoy our life here, it’s too crowded. Maybe it is also too diverse for my taste. I mean, I have nothing against people of different races, but I think they should make an effort to integrate and at least lean some English.
We still have lots of doubts if the Memphis is right place for us. We are foreign (but speaking reasonable English ). We are not religious also . I guess in the city itself, lake in any big city, it won’t be important. I am not sure about places as Germantown.
Germantown isn't very diverse, but it is diverse enough to be accepting. Midtown is the diverse area of town, with lots of medical researchers at UT and St. Jude living nearby, but the urban environment can be very challenging for a family. While you can have a beautiful home and with a big yard in Midtown for not a lot of money, you have to send your kids to private schools and have to keep a closer eye on them when they go out to play. Germantown is all about families. Children as young as three roam the neighborhoods without direct supervision. Schools are very good in Germantown and Collierville (comparable to the better public schools anywhere in the US). Memphis is a religious city, but the areas you are looking at aren't excessively so. There are tons of non-religious people in Germantown.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,292,205 times
If you're looking for people who speak English well, Memphis may not be the place for you.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,326,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
If you're looking for people who speak English well, Memphis may not be the place for you.
Ditto.

Do you have other job offers elsewhere? Don't get me wrong, I stick up for Memphis and it does have good aspects. However, if I had to choose between Memphis and _________ there are few (metro) cities that I would not choose over Memphis.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 AM

201 posts, read 1,067,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
When did Charlie move out to Bartlett? I'm only familiar with the one on Summer where I've shopped all of my life. And you're right - you can't beat Charlie's.
You're right! I was in a hurry typing and when I would drive that way, I always made a stop in Bartlett and just lumped it all together. It is still on Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis