Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,940,621 times

Advertisements

I think the City of Memphis government will continue to improve under Mayor Wharton. He seems to think more highly of the city than himself, unlike Mayor Herenton.

I think crime will continue to get worse. I'm hoping/thinking education will get better with the merged school districts. I also think Cordova will continue to get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:38 PM

43 posts, read 111,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I think the City of Memphis government will continue to improve under Mayor Wharton. He seems to think more highly of the city than himself, unlike Mayor Herenton.

I think crime will continue to get worse. I'm hoping/thinking education will get better with the merged school districts. I also think Cordova will continue to get worse.
This.

Crime will either get better or get worse, but not dramatically in either direction. The type of crime found in Memphis is a result of engrained poverty, and until that problem can be fixed (decades-long improvement of educaation, social conditions) the status-quo will continue.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 26,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneyus View Post
i think the city of memphis government will continue to improve under mayor wharton. He seems to think more highly of the city than himself, unlike mayor herenton.

I think crime will continue to get worse. I'm hoping/thinking education will get better with the merged school districts. I also think cordova will continue to get worse.

+1

Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM

12 posts, read 21,187 times
I'll predict things will get better only if the citizens believe it can and will. The people in and around the metro must believe in the city and its potential for the future.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM

324 posts, read 414,824 times
We moved to the area Aug. 2009. IMO, Memphis has done nothing but improve, since we got here. Im actually looking forward to 2012. I plan on actually going to many of the Memphis activites this summer. When we first got here, going into Memphis was not high on our list.

Memphis still has a ways to go. But its definitly moving in the right direction, IMO. In all fairness, when you compare Memphis to similar ciites like Nashville, Birmingham, Little Rock, Shrevport, St. Louis, etc... Memphis really isnt that far off the mark. Get the crime down just a bit more, improve a couple of schools, clean-up the trash, get some life into some of the old unused industrial parts of the city, and you pretty much have a decent mid-sized city here.

I have really liked many of things Ive heard Wharton say. But more importantly, I like actually getting done. I have never seen anything to give me a reason to think he's a racist. Nothing close.

In a city the size of Memphis, there will always be certain areas to stay away from. Memphis' biggest hurdle is that it doesnt have enough solid good areas to counter those other bad areas. But, IMO, this is something that is changing.

I personally would love to see them do more with the river, and Riverside St. But I hear there are things in the works. Im really looking forward to seeing how the city looks in 3 years or so.

Last edited by bigman123; 01-22-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 PM

469 posts, read 966,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman123 View Post
We moved to the area Aug. 2009. IMO, Memphis has done nothing but improve, since we got here. Im actually looking forward to 2012. I plan on actually going to many of the Memphis activites this summer. When we first got here, going into Memphis was not high on our list.

Memphis still has a ways to go. But its definitly moving in the right direction, IMO. In all fairness, when you compare Memphis to similar ciites like Nashville, Birmingham, Little Rock, Shrevport, St. Louis, etc... Memphis really isnt that far off the mark. Get the crime down just a bit more, improve a couple of schools, clean-up the trash, get some life into some of the old unused industrial parts of the city, and you pretty much have a decent mid-sized city here.

I have really liked many of things Ive heard Wharton say. But more importantly, I like actually getting done. I have never seen anything to give me a reason to think he's a racist. Nothing close.

In a city the size of Memphis, there will always be certain areas to stay away from. Memphis' biggest hurdle is that it doesnt have enough solid good areas to counter those other bad areas. But, IMO, this is something that is changing.

I personally would love to see them do more with the river, and Riverside St. But I hear there are things in the works. Im really looking forward to seeing how the city looks in 3 years or so.
Good Post!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM

209 posts, read 458,594 times
It does not matter what economdy condition is, the Memphis unemployment rate is always high in the nation. Most of ranking give memphis a low or bottom. So, the most important, is not complain about whole nation economy condition. Because, certain metropolitian area in the nation can still keep lower umemployment national aveage, much lower than Memphis. It does not relate to economy or something.

Right now, the most important thing is motivating everybody to study, to work. Not waiting for food stamps, AND social benefit.

For Wharton, compare to previous guy, he did much better. But it has a very very long way.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM

43 posts, read 111,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009811 View Post
It does not matter what economdy condition is, the Memphis unemployment rate is always high in the nation. Most of ranking give memphis a low or bottom. So, the most important, is not complain about whole nation economy condition. Because, certain metropolitian area in the nation can still keep lower umemployment national aveage, much lower than Memphis. It does not relate to economy or something.

Right now, the most important thing is motivating everybody to study, to work. Not waiting for food stamps, AND social benefit.

For Wharton, compare to previous guy, he did much better. But it has a very very long way.
It's due to the historical structural unemployment in the city. Traditionally disenfranchised groups had and still have barriers to the economic opportunity (lack of good education, etc) not encountered by, ehm, more privileged groups.

Nashville has a lower unemployment rate because it does not have that problem. Their demographics are flipped (60% non-minority, 40% minorities).

Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka092 View Post
It's due to the historical structural unemployment in the city. Traditionally disenfranchised groups had and still have barriers to the economic opportunity (lack of good education, etc) not encountered by, ehm, more privileged groups.

Nashville has a lower unemployment rate because it does not have that problem. Their demographics are flipped (60% non-minority, 40% minorities).
It does not relate to minority or not. It depends on themselves. You can find many jobs without high school degree. You can fix the roof, and temporary deliver, whatever. If need education, Southwest and Memphis offer several night classes, THERE ARE from business law to nursing in the night. But, if they do not want to work OR want a easy and good pay job, no way.

What I knew a African-American lady, who is a stay-at-home mom for several years. She and her husband has just high school diploma and both of them have a normal job. She studied in Southwest for several semesters for Accounting at night, and failed several times. But finally, she got her Accounting degree in Memphis, got a CPA and find a decent accounting job in New Hampshire. Her husband also got a techinican certificate in southwest. The moved to new hampshire and became a mid-class family. This lady have several obligations, but she did that, why some younger people cannot do that?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post

Cordova will continue to get worse.

I hope that is not true, But, But, But, it is true. Will people want to desperate cordova to a independent city or merge with Bartlett?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: