Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 AM

170 posts, read 355,729 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Memphis around March 1 from Columbus, OH. I"m a 23 year old white male starting my first job out of college (Ohio State). I'm planning to live on(in?) Mud Island and commute to Southwind (I know that will probably be a long commute but when I visited, only for two days, that area had an impact on me and I felt comfortable there.

I'm concerned about the airport. My girlfriend will still live in Columbus until December and hope to have her come down/me go there a decent amount. Unfortunately the cheapest flight I can find is over $350. The next best option is Southwest from Nashville to Cbus for about $100. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to drive there to pick her up or fly out myself. Anyone know of any cheaper options? Or, is there transportation from Nashville to Memphis besides a rental car? The lack of affordable options is upsetting. Is there any inside knowledge on when Southwest will convert AirTran in the Memphis Airport?

Is there any good shopping in Memphis? If anyone has been to Columbus you'll be familiar with Polaris and Easton which are very nice areas with lots of food and shopping etc, just curious if there's anything similar around Memphis.

Also, I would love to be involved in a basketball league and I need to join a gym. I'm not sure what corporate discounts will be available to me yet, but the gym on Mud Island seems way to expensive. It would be nice to not have to drive very far or deal with difficult parking, however.

Also, curious if anyone has anything important to add, I'll be very new to the city and have a lot to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM

16 posts, read 46,872 times
I was born here and raised in North MS and lived in midtown (2003) while my wife attended UT Health Science Center. We now live in the country.
****Just a little bit about my background info.

1st thing, don't leave anything valuable in your car!

Are you more interested in the night life?

Get a copy of the Memphis Flyer or check out their site.

We debated about flying out of Little Rock or Nashville to save some money on flights, but we quickly decided we didn't want to drive +/- 3 hours home after a 15 hour flight, plus by the time you factored in rental car your saving are small.

I've never been to Columbus, but I would recommend checking out Avenue Carriage Crossing. Should only be a short drive from your work.

I was fortunate to join my wife's school's gym, so hopefully someone can chime in on a gym near you.

Congrats on your new job! My Philosophy, work hard play hard. And I don't mean stay out all night till 6:30 in morning and roll into work at 7:30. Take a road trip and see other cities. Heck, you can even fly out of Tunica to Destin if you book early for a reasonable price.

This comment is only my .02
Come here, rock out your job and get promoted to a bigger region/city.

Cheers,

Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 PM

51 posts, read 101,748 times
Well i am originally from dallas texas,but memphis is not THAT bad. It could be a little better here but its pretty decent.Night life is not bad(beal street) ect.GreyHound can get you from Nashville to Memphis pretty cheap. WARNING:Flooding on the MS river is very bad. If i could suggest a better living place it would be mabe uptown,east memphis. Parking is bad downtown! Transportation is not bad(MATA)(trolley,bus).BE AWARE OF THE CRIME! Trafic can be difficult (sometimes). Shopping is not bad either(OakCourtMall,WolfChaseMall,HickoryRidgeMall ,SouthlandMall,ect).Gyms include French Riviara ect.Sports teams are mostly in the suburbs not really outside the city. Major teams include Tigers,Redbirds,Titans.Attractions are almost never ending,(almost) but i have to admit i always find something new to do.Food and shopping are mostly downtown ,uptown, Cordova,Southhaven.Beware the Memphis drivers! GOOD LUCK HOPES THIS HELPS!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM

469 posts, read 970,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaidenBikerbear View Post
Well i am originally from dallas texas,but memphis is not THAT bad. It could be a little better here but its pretty decent.Night life is not bad(beal street) ect.GreyHound can get you from Nashville to Memphis pretty cheap. WARNING:Flooding on the MS river is very bad. If i could suggest a better living place it would be mabe uptown,east memphis. Parking is bad downtown! Transportation is not bad(MATA)(trolley,bus).BE AWARE OF THE CRIME! Trafic can be difficult (sometimes). Shopping is not bad either(OakCourtMall,WolfChaseMall,HickoryRidgeMall ,SouthlandMall,ect).Gyms include French Riviara ect.Sports teams are mostly in the suburbs not really outside the city. Major teams include Tigers,Redbirds,Titans.Attractions are almost never ending,(almost) but i have to admit i always find something new to do.Food and shopping are mostly downtown ,uptown, Cordova,Southhaven.Beware the Memphis drivers! GOOD LUCK HOPES THIS HELPS!
Overall, a pretty good response, but to say flooding is very bad is a bit misleading. Harbortown/Mud Island did take on water up to the public parking area on the front and covered the streets one block in on the east side in last year's high water, but that was a first during the 100 year flood event we had. The national news broadcast that part of historic Beale St. was under water, but failed to mention that it was the part which was 30 -40 feet below the foundation level of Downtown with no structures present. Actually where would the floodwaters have to travel to on the west side before they rose enough to back up and flood Downtown Memphis? Crowley's Ridge? Albuquerque? Areas along some tributaries flowing mostly north and south of the city proper did overflow their banks, but only a few city streets took on rising water. This was a rare occurance.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandD5192003 View Post
Are you more interested in the night life?

Cheers,
I heard the Back Street nightclub is where its at.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 PM

Yeah, I'm not totally into bars, personally I could care less about "the bar scene," but I would like to meet some people my age. I'll literally know no one besides the ppl I work with.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 AM

209 posts, read 460,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjordan View Post
Yeah, I'm not totally into bars, personally I could care less about "the bar scene," but I would like to meet some people my age. I'll literally know no one besides the ppl I work with.
You can try some house in Southwind or Collierville. The east of Southwind (near Germantown) is pretty safe all time. If you still concern safety, Collierville is the best. I believe you can rent a reasonable house in Colliverville in a reasonable price.

haha, Ohio State, nice school. Hope to visit there sometimes.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I heard the Back Street nightclub is where its at.
lol

Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM

49 posts, read 118,883 times
Orange Mound is the best place for you. Its amazing the environmental and everything is amazing its located in South Memphis and got some awesome eyecatching landmarks. Its the best place to go if you wanna know how a gun bullet feels like.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhart View Post
Orange Mound is the best place for you. Its amazing the environmental and everything is amazing its located in South Memphis and got some awesome eyecatching landmarks. Its the best place to go if you wanna know how a gun bullet feels like.
No thanks I'll leave that kind of stuff up to 50 cent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis