U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,781 times
Default Looking for an affordable but safe apartment complex in memphis

i am currently looking for an apartment to move into and found a place named eden at watersedge on south mendenhall that fit my budget perfectly. i am not too familiar with this area. can anyone tell me anything i need to know about this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM

833 posts, read 1,134,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampharbor View Post
i am currently looking for an apartment to move into and found a place named eden at watersedge on south mendenhall that fit my budget perfectly. i am not too familiar with this area. can anyone tell me anything i need to know about this place?
DO NOT move to this apartment complex. That is not in a very good part of town and the apartments in where you will see all the negatives that this already not so great area has to offer. It gets much nicer if you look farther north, inside the 240 loop. If I were you I would look at the apartments off of Lynnfield between Park and Quince. I think one is called Butterfield and the other is called Lynnfield Place. These would be about 2.5 miles from "Eden at Watersedge". I would also check out Park Estate apartments which is located at the corner of Park Ave. and Estate (same general area). There is also a nice complex near Poplar Ave and Kirby (Probably 4 miles away. Be sure to look at the map of good and bad areas to get an idea of the areas you want to avoid.

Sticky: Map of Memphis Neighborhoods

Any Apartment complex south of the 240 loop and 385 is going to be bad news and pretty close to housing projects as far as the residents and the general feel inside the complex. I say this because many former project residents were re-located to this area from housing projects that were tore down because of gentrification in the downtown area.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM

93 posts, read 194,648 times
More than likely you will be fine there. If that's what fits you budget then you should look for places in that area. Don't pay to much attention to some of these posters. You live where you can afford to. I used to live the Landings on winchester. Most fold on here would say Nooo! Dont move there it's in a bad part of town, but it was fine and what I could afford during that time.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:16 PM

9 posts, read 27,798 times
There are nice apartments on Mud Island (Downtown). Mud Island is relatively safe and quiet area. Not sure what your budget may be or if you were looking to a certain area of town.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 PM

9 posts, read 27,798 times
South Mendenhall...that area has definitely changed over the last 10 years and not for the better. I personally wouldn't advise anyone to live in that area but as the previous poster stated, you should do what you can within your budget.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,781 times
I looked at your map. the apartments are in the fox meadows area. u have that area in colored purple. and u said purple= good. so which one is it? im confused.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 AM

833 posts, read 1,134,603 times
Quote:
I looked at your map. the apartments are in the fox meadows area. u have that area in colored purple. and u said purple= good. so which one is it? im confused.

The map now is color coordinated to describe the safety of the areas. Green=Good, Purple=Good..but some my not like it because of some surrounding areas, Yellow=Precede with caution, Orange=Bad..but not the worst, and Red=Bad and worst"

If you notice, the apartments are actually on the border of Parkway Village (Orange, i.e. bad) and Fox Meadows. The Fox Meadows area is definitely not the worst area in Memphis, but it is has issues with crime and blight. The singe family residential areas of Fox Meadows are pretty OK. I am guessing this is why the area is colored purple (FYI I did not create the map). As I stated earlier, the apartment complexes in areas like Fox Meadows (i.e. not great, but not too bad) are where you will find most of the problems. I am not sure if you are from out of town or familiar with the Memphis area. I would not recommend that anyone with little knowledge of the Memphis area, move to an apartment complex in an iffy part of town. Why risk it if you have other options. In my post above, I gave recommendations for apartment complexes not too far from this one in Fox Meadows that are in better parts of town. I doubt the price difference in rent will be that much, but even if it there was a $100 or $200 a month difference it may be worth it to limit your exposure to crime or violence. I think your risk of being a victim of crime will be lower in these areas. I am just trying to give you an honest opinion. If you have visited the complex (at various times, i.e. night and day) and like what you see, go for it. Personally, I would probably look elsewhere. I would hate to see you on here in 6 months railing about how horrible Memphis is because you chose to live in an apartment complex in an iffy part of town.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,679 times
I am interviewing with Memphis Teaching Fellows next week to maybe move there to teach the inner city students in Special Ed starting in June. Can anyone give me any thoughts or ideas on this subject? I am moving from Alabama!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM

49 posts, read 64,273 times
Quote:
The $49.00 deposit would make me think they just rent to whoever is handy and that is not always a good thing at all.

Eden at Watersedge Apartments and Townhomes Apartments, 2774 Mendenhall Road South Memphis, TN - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Memphis Tennessee | 178194

You should see what Revid Reality has to offer. They are a local company which offers up a variety of rentals. I have only ever heard nice things about them.

Revid Realty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis