U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 21,534 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Tennessee in May. I have a choice between Nashville and Memphis. My son will be in the 9th grade. Can anyone tell me which would be safer, have better schools, better hospitals? I am a nurse and my specialty is pediatrics. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.

Last edited by boeckami; 09-02-2007 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 05:40 PM

100 posts, read 424,272 times
Obviously, your micro-enviroment is much more important than the over all city, and many people are happy in Memphis, but over all, Nashville is a much safer, better quality of life city.
Sadly the political leadership is so corrupt in Memphis, it has allowed nearly every part of the city to deteriorate, but especially in the area of crime, where Memphis is consistently number 2 in violent crime, and the public schools are horrible.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Thank you for your response. I have never posted anything online before and I am trying to figure this out as I go. I am a single Mom and so safety and schools are really important. It is so hard to make a decision without being able to go and check out both cities. I am currently in Phoenix for 1 year. Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 AM

3,381 posts, read 11,808,842 times
Nashville is overall safer, but there would be more pediatric nursing jobs in Memphis I would assume. Memphis is the medical hub of TN and has LeBonheur and St. Jude.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 AM

376 posts, read 1,594,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeckami View Post
I am planning to move to Tennessee in May. I have a choice between Nashville and Memphis. My son will be in the 9th grade. Can anyone tell me which would be safer, have better schools, better hospitals? I am a nurse and my specialty is pediatrics. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.
It just depends on where you live in the cities. Overall, Nashville is safer a nicer. However, there are plenty of nice, safe parts of town in Memphis with good schools. The two big peds hospitals are located downtown. LeBonheur is about to break ground on a new $325 million hospital downtown. You'd probably want to live in Germantown or Collierville, which are a 30-45 minute commute to downtown. If you were willing to send you child to a private school, there are some great neighborhoods within 15 minutes of those hospitals. Of course, there are some peds jobs out in the suburbs (Baptist East and Methodist Germantown both have peds units). St. Jude is the dream place to work. LeBonheur has a very good working environment as well, but St. Jude has seemingly endless funds to provide for patients every need.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 PM

Thanks so much to both of you for all the information. I will check out the hospitals you have listed. I really appreciate your help!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:17 PM

I just checked out LeBonheur Hospital. I had not found that facility while searching for hospitals in Memphis. It sounds like a great place. Thank you so much!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:50 AM

775 posts, read 2,259,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeckami View Post
I just checked out LeBonheur Hospital. I had not found that facility while searching for hospitals in Memphis. It sounds like a great place. Thank you so much!
You'll likely find more info on LeBonheur by looking into Methodist Healthcare as well since Methodist Healthcare bought out LeBonheur about 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 PM

I have a potential opportunity to go to St. Thomas in Nashville per my recruiter. Any information on that hospital? Does it have a good reputation? Thanks again for all the feedback. This is so stressful - trying to work, obtain my Bachelors online, I have a 14 year old, and now trying to choose a new place to live. I love that I found this Forum with all the helpful people.

Last edited by boeckami; 09-04-2007 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-04-2007, 02:54 PM

3,381 posts, read 11,808,842 times
Might want to post that question on the Nashville forum. It's about 3 hours from Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis