U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,969 times
Default Collierville non-religious folks? Anyone?

We are a 30 something couple well educated with young kids new to the area...we just do not go to Church or identify with any Church. In turn after 6 months we feel way out of place. Does anyone know where to meet similar types? Groups? The few people we have met make us feel like we are being recruited to join a Church then we kindly turn them down only to be never invited to anything ever again...can be very uncomfortable. Wondering if we made a mistake by moving here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 1,631,419 times
Unfortunately , you will likely be hard pressed to find atheists enmasse in this geographic region. I have to steer conversations away from religion with friends/relatives alot of the time.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 PM

62 posts, read 58,333 times
PM sent

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM

734 posts, read 1,466,038 times
They're here. People are just very open about their religion in the south. It's different. But you'll find like minded people here. It'll just take some time. Sounds like you met some closed minded people right off the bat. Don't give up.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 10,365 times
Even if you're not into "church," you might want to check out Neshoba Unitarian Universalist church in Cordova. Atheists welcome, and you'll find some people who are religions, some Wiccans, secular Jews... you name it. Generally a very liberal group, back when I attended several years ago. Might be a community you feel comfortable in as a non-religious family, with good discussions about morality and social justice. Activities for kids that aren't Jesus centered, and they used to have a great supper club, where small groups would meet in peoples' homes, bring a covered dish, drink wine and have a pretty good time, with no proselytizing, etc. I found that a lot of the people there were "escapees" from religious backgrounds.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 PM

408 posts, read 337,785 times
LOL, where did the OP say in his post that he and his family are Atheist?!? They may be, but he just said they don't go to church. I'm Christian, and I don't really do the church/organized religion thing either, so I know exactly what he means and how he feels.

Last edited by Carlito Brigante; 02-12-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 10,365 times
I didn't assume they were atheist, I said "non-religious," which to me means "doesn't go to church." And the original poster said they don't identify with any particular church.

I just commented that atheists were welcome, along with other religious persuasions.

Last edited by JMT; 02-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,092,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
They're here. People are just very open about their religion in the south. It's different. But you'll find like minded people here. It'll just take some time. Sounds like you met some closed minded people right off the bat. Don't give up.
It sounds like the OP is the closed minded person... only wanting to be around people like him/herself. There will be annoying people in any neighborhood. If you don't want to attend their church, let them know. If they don't invite you anywhere else, then I guess you got what you wanted.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM

408 posts, read 337,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
It sounds like the OP is the closed minded person... only wanting to be around people like him/herself. There will be annoying people in any neighborhood. If you don't want to attend their church, let them know. If they don't invite you anywhere else, then I guess you got what you wanted.
Wow. It sounds like you're just getting offended because you're exactly the type of person he was talking about. Everyone knows Memphis is part of the Bible Belt and how people can shun you here if you're not into the whole church culture. The OP never disrespected any church or religion. He just stated that he and his family have been running into that infamous (Mid)Southern religious wall and he's respectfully asking how to get around it.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 AM

506 posts, read 471,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I think wanting to be removed from a judgmental, not accepting culture is a perfectly reasonable wish for an open-minded person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis