Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM

410 posts, read 802,784 times

Advertisements

Greetings. If you want to live outside of Memphis but enjoy everything Memphis has to offer, then Germantown would be a great place. Cordova is a nice area, but most of it has been annexed to Memphis and therefore, you haven't gotten away from the city. I like Collierville. Once you get there, you have most everything you need in the way of schools, shopping and the like.

There's nothing wrong with living in the city. East Memphis is such a nice area as is Midtown and downtown. If you really want to be out and don't mind heading down I40 to commute, then by all means consider Lakeland and Eads. Both nice.

It always helps to have a better idea of where you are planning to work. That can help us give you a better recommendation. In any event, welcome to Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

23 posts, read 36,878 times
as far as collierville how outside of the city is it? does it have a small city feel or little town feel or straight country? can't remember exactly where the office is (its my wifes job) but the person she would be replacing currently lives in collierville.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM

If you look at a map, Memphis started along the Mississippi River and grew east. Germantown was in the way of progress so the city sorta stops there. The main street through town is called Poplar Avenue. It runs from downtown all the way through Collierville and beyond. Collierville is about 15-20 minutes to the Memphis line. More like 45 - 50 minutes to downtown during non rush hour. Nothing is too far away. There is also a new express line called the I385 (Bill Morris Pkwy) that will take you straight in to town but it is located on the southern part of the city. Collierville has several feeders to the 385 so it's not difficult.

It is a small city for sure, but nothing like Mayberry. It's loaded with all the shops, restaurants and groceries you would see in Anytown USA. It's a nice place.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarino1983 View Post
as far as collierville how outside of the city is it? does it have a small city feel or little town feel or straight country? can't remember exactly where the office is (its my wifes job) but the person she would be replacing currently lives in collierville.
Collierville is continuous with the Memphis urban area so it's going to feel very suburban and not "straight country" at all.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM

i was looking at a couple places in Cordova too but what does "Unincorporated" actually means?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
Quote:
i was looking at a couple places in Cordova too but what does "Unincorporated" actually means?

It means that you are not in the city YET and will not have to pay city taxes YET. As long as you go in knowing that you may eventually be a part of Memphis (maybe soon, maybe not) everything should be fine. Many of those areas of Cordova are very nice.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM

so eventually it would be part of Memphis? what are city taxes? (rough average?) as far as schools would i be better of private or are their public schools still good?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:24 PM

It really depends on the price of the house. It could add as much as $1000 per year or more. If you can afford to send your children to private schools then the question is answered. Otherwise, Germantown and Collierville schools are fine. I've not heard too many complimentary things about Cordova high school as of late. If you choose Cordova, which is a fine area, you may want to dig further into the Cordova school system.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
Quote:
so eventually it would be part of Memphis? what are city taxes? (rough average?) as far as schools would i be better of private or are their public schools still good?

The elementary school in Cordova is actually really good (Cordova Elementary). There are optional programs in both Cordova Middle and High schools, but both of these schools have their fair share of rough students, which makes them appear to be poor options when comparing them to Germantown or Collierville schools.

City taxes are roughly $3.19 per $100 of assessed property value (which is 25% of your actual property value). So in the case of a 150K home the property taxes would be (150K * .25)/100 * 3.19 = $1196.25 per year.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,972 times
There is also a brand new elementary school in Cordova - Riverwood Elementary. I don't know anything about it from personal experience, but I've heard nothing but positive comments about it from people in the neighborhood. I don't know what the schools district borders are....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis