Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 17,169,162 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm 100% positive we're moving. DH and I went down to Memphis a couple months ago and scouted general locations. We're both going to be attending UM and working in the immediate Eastgate shopping center area.

Does anyone have recommendations for apartments/condos/townhomes for rent in this area? Seems like most of what I can find online is either a) on Mud Island or in downtown, b) way out in Cordova, Collierville or Mississippi, or c) in a bad part of town south of the university.

I know there have to be some decent listings around this area. Right? We're looking for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath (or 2 bath) with good bathrooms. I don't feel like I'm being too cheap, but when I reject stuff that's like $1600, then I'm not left with anything! Can anyone help? Just for reference I'm looking between $700 and around $1200 or so. I'm willing to pay for location and condition, but just can't find anything on Craigslist or the Memphis Flyer. FWIW I'm also almost 9 hours away right now and will be coming back to Memphis in late July, to sign a lease... somewhere! At this point, I'm also looking for good, newer construction or a solid remodel anywhere between Midtown and Shelby Farms.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
I grew up in that area, and it is so dense that there are not a lot of brand new apartment complexes being built.

Are you interested in a duplex or a small house? There are quite a few in the UM area that meet your criteria.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

There are some apartments on this map too.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM

410 posts, read 800,551 times
For relatively reasonable prices in renting homes near U of M, there's a small office on Park Ave near Pete & Sams called MEL Management. I believe they have quite a few rentals in the Sherwood Forest neighborhood. You might want to check with them.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,944,747 times
You could also go East a little bit to the Poplar Ave @ Kirby Pkwy area. It would be about 5 minutes from Eastgate (Park Ave is right there), and you would be really close to I-240, Poplar, and Walnut Grove if you wanted to go downtown. There are some nice apartment complexes over there, and it would be pretty safe in that area.

I lived there while attending the UofM, and the drive was about 15 min since I took my classes at non-rush hour times.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 PM

7,528 posts, read 17,169,162 times
Think we might have found something a little further west, at McNeil and Poplar. Actually, 199 N. McNeil. When we were in the city a couple months ago we checked out this area and really liked it. But we looked at a LOT of areas of the city, and I want to confirm that I'm not mis-remembering this neighborhood. Can anyone confirm that this is a decent area?

I'm not so concerned with cracked sidewalks or living right near a busy street or retail area. But I do just want to make sure that the intersection and surroundings are good. Also, renting, not buying. Thanks anyone that can help!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM

107 posts, read 311,958 times
I am familiar with the portion of McNeil that runs between Poplar and North Parkway as a buddy of mine used to live there; it's at the edge of the evergreen historic district and should be fine. I am not too familiar with the portion of the street that lies south of poplar, thouugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis