Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 69,597 times

Advertisements

hey everyone. i am a medical student currently looking into moving to memphis for my residency, and of course, have the standard question about safety. specifically, what places are close to the medical school's campus are safe? and if the area around the school is ghetto, where would you guys recommend renting/buying if safety is the #1 factor? i have heard good things about mud island, but i don't know about any other areas. thanks in advance for the advice, as i am lost regarding issues in memphis (i've only been there overnight about 8 yrs ago but hope to see more of the city during my residency interviews). thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I do know that MANY UT med school students reside at the Arbors at Harbor Town on Mud Island. It seems to be the it-place for med and pharmacy school students. I would guess, though I don't know for a fact, that the Bristol on Union is also popular for med school students. Harbor Town is maybe 2 miles from the med school. The Bristol is maybe 2 minutes from the med school. Both are fine places from what I hear. That doesn't mean that you should live in either, though, because they may not have what you're looking for in an apartment.

Really, you're just going to have to come here and spend a few days, look around, talk to other students, and find what works for you. It's so hard on an internet forum to give good housing advice because where one chooses to live is a personal decision based on many personal factors. Within the area surrounding the medical district, there are good areas, ok areas, and terrible areas.

Best wishes.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Agree, the island is a huge area for grad students in Memphis. Also anywhere downtown, if you buy a condo or find a place to rent. (the island is 'downtown' but is a drive from the main downtown area, it's further north, very secluded)

Midtown is near UT and had tons of homes for sale, places to rent, and is a haven for the older 20's crowd. It's really the only area of Memphis that I can liken to a college town...lots of young and old alike, but good bars to chill out at, cool hip restaurants, etc.

The area right around UT isn't dangerous, but it's sort of run down in areas and I would not suggest living anywhere right around it. Basically everyone that goes there drives in everyday.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Reading Pearlbob's post, I wonder when we went from restaurants that serve good food to 'cool hip restaurants'? I prefer the former, but the latter seems to be catching on more and more. I've never considered ambiance to be the driving force of the food industry. Subject for a different day, I suppose.

(Not picking on Pearlbob at all -- That line just caught my attention.)

Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM

Oh no, I agree. I pick good food over techno and couches anyday.

I think many midtown restaurants serve good food though, with or without the ambiance. Just depends if you're out specifically for the food, or just a fun place to hang out with friends.

Midtown has plenty of great food, great places to drink, and some that are even "cool" to be at

Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 PM

232 posts, read 795,748 times
Most of the restaurants with good food aren't really places I'd like to hang out. Actually, I'd rather just hang out at a bar, if I'm not eating. Places like Dish seem to be more of a 'cool hip restaurant' for people to hang out, rather then going there to get good food.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Cafe Ole is another one where the food is mediocre, the service is usually bad, but it's just nice to be on their huge patio when the weather is nice, listen some live music, and drink with friends. Celtic Crossing is another; good to hang out and drink at, voted the best bar in Memphis this year, but the food is ho-hum.

Now - Bosco's is all around great. Microbrewed beer, great food, great atmosphere inside and out, upscale but you don't have to dress up, great patio, open late...

Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 PM

But back to the OP's question! Are you looking to buy or rent here? There is quite a big difference between the 2 in Memphis.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM

19 posts, read 69,597 times
probably buy, considering i will likely be there at least 5 yrs, but renting is also a possibility. it really just depends on if i can find a good condo or apt for a reasonable price. looking to spend about $150-175k or no more than $1000/month in rent. thanks again everyone

Last edited by md_2009; 09-19-2007 at 04:16 PM..

Old 09-19-2007, 04:20 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md_2009 View Post
probably buy, considering i will likely be there at least 5 yrs, but renting is also a possibility. it really just depends on if i can find a good condo or apt for a reasonable price. looking to spend about $150-175k or no more than $1000/month in rent. thanks again everyone
Most residents live in Mud Island or in East Memphis if they want a house with a yard. The Highpoint Terrace area is very popular and is about 15 minutes from the medical center (and 15 minutes from the major hospitals and clinics out east). Mud Island is about 5-10 minutes from the medical center. Lots of residents live in Midtown, but you have to be careful of where you buy a house there. One street may be great and the next street over can be bad. There are lots of beautiful neighborhoods in Midtown, though, and it is very convenient to restaurants and the medical center. Downtown is the place to be if you don't want a yard. You can get a good deal on a condo downtown. There are also some good deals on condos in Midtown. They are cheaper than those downtown, but you can't walk to restaurants and nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis